Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Consolidated IAD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aacharya
Wiki Link

MCT generic
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 .45 1.30 1.30

Connecting Information:

International Connections at IAD will use the mid-field terminal. Passengers will clear Immigration and Customs before retrieving/rechecking bags.
There is a TSA precheck lane.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 11, 19, 4:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Is there an underground walkway at IAD from the main terminal to A/B and C/D? If so, how do I find it? I didnt notice it the last couple of times I was there.
Old Mar 11, 19, 5:43 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
Is there an underground walkway at IAD from the main terminal to A/B and C/D? If so, how do I find it? I didnt notice it the last couple of times I was there.
There is a walkway from the main terminal to A/B. The escalators down to the tunnel are next to the entrance for the Z gates.
Old Mar 11, 19, 5:47 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
There is a walkway from the main terminal to A/B, but not from A/B to C/D. If you come from Pre-check at IAD, when you go towards the moonbuggies that go to the D terminal, to the left there will be signs to A/B. It is easy to miss if you're not looking for it. And there are signs that say walk to A/B.
Old Mar 11, 19, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
There is a walkway from the main terminal to A/B, but not from A/B to C/D. If you come from Pre-check at IAD, when you go towards the moonbuggies that go to the D terminal, to the left there will be signs to A/B. It is easy to miss if you're not looking for it. And there are signs that say walk to A/B.
Thanks to you both! I found the tunnel
Old Mar 28, 19, 9:28 am

Would it be unwise to book YOW-IAD-LAX with a 1:21 minute layover? No GE. No checked bags. My flight would land at IAD at
8:54 PM. Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 19, 10:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Sky Fangs View Post
Would it be unwise to book YOW-IAD-LAX with a 1:21 minute layover? No GE. No checked bags. My flight would land at IAD at
8:54 PM. Thanks.
As I recall you will go through US Pre Clarance at YOW so arrive at IAD as a domestc flight, so should be no problem.
Old Mar 28, 19, 10:57 am

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 19, 6:51 pm

Looking at UA6018 (United Express DFW-IAD) connecting to UA932 (mainline IAD-FRA) with a 1hr 9min connection. I can move quickly and will be on my own likely towards the front of the plane. I do need to make this connection though - missing it will result in guaranteed 24 hour delay.

Unfortunately I'm squeezed by other commitments. There is another (less optimal from my other commitments point of view) option to connect through IAH with slightly more time and I know IAH a lot better than IAD. (IAH option is again United Express -> Mainline).

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Productivity View Post
Looking at UA6018 (United Express DFW-IAD) connecting to UA932 (mainline IAD-FRA) with a 1hr 9min connection. I can move quickly and will be on my own likely towards the front of the plane. I do need to make this connection though - missing it will result in guaranteed 24 hour delay.

Unfortunately I'm squeezed by other commitments. There is another (less optimal from my other commitments point of view) option to connect through IAH with slightly more time and I know IAH a lot better than IAD. (IAH option is again United Express -> Mainline).

Any thoughts?
Assuming you land/depart from the UA C/D terminal you should be fine. I walk briskly and can get from C1 to the other end D32 in <10 mins without trying too hard. Presumably you dont need to pick up/recheck bags. If for any reason you need to switch between C/D and A/B terminals I'd add 15 mins.

Side question - how do passport checks work in your scenario? I have never done a domestic to international connection. Can you just present your passport for the first time at the gate for your IAD-FRA flight?
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:39 pm

Assuming you land/depart from the UA C/D terminal you should be fine. I walk briskly and can get from C1 to the other end D32 in <10 mins without trying too hard. Presumably you dont need to pick up/recheck bags. If for any reason you need to switch between C/D and A/B terminals I'd add 15 mins.

Side question - how do passport checks work in your scenario? I have never done a domestic to international connection. Can you just present your passport for the first time at the gate for your IAD-FRA flight?
I agree that this connection is doable if you can walk fine, although I'd personally switch to the IAH option to be a bit safer. But, DFW-IAD is a safe route 99.9% of the time, so you should be fine. Unless there's a mechanical issue, the plane likely will get into IAD 10-15 minutes early (done this route a fair number of times).

As for the passport question, OP would be required to submit the passport info on OLCI/app check-in, or during in person check-in at DFW. However, OP would not need to show it visually until the IAD-FRA flight if OLCI is done, assuming OP has used this passport on UA before. If OP has not used a passport or this specific passport on UA before, it *will* have to be done in person at check-in.
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by Productivity View Post

Any thoughts?
The last departure out of ORD to FRA is quite late (operated by LH). I imagine you'd have an easy time making that connection on a UA reservation.
Old Mar 31, 19, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
The last departure out of ORD to FRA is quite late (operated by LH). I imagine you'd have an easy time making that connection on a UA reservation.
Good point, but if OP is on a Y ticket, UA E+ >>> LH regular E.
Old Mar 31, 19, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Nothing that would then have me make my onward connection in FRA (~2hrs), which if I bust is a bit of a nightmare (it's a flight operated by KC that alternates between FRA and AMS, so the rebooking would be the next day through AMS).

It really is IAD (or IAH) or bust unfortunately.
Old Mar 31, 19, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
As for the passport question, OP would be required to submit the passport info on OLCI/app check-in, or during in person check-in at DFW. However, OP would not need to show it visually until the IAD-FRA flight if OLCI is done, assuming OP has used this passport on UA before. If OP has not used a passport or this specific passport on UA before, it *will* have to be done in person at check-in.
I dont believe we know, but if OP was on separate tickets, and/or it was a new passport to UA, would UA be willing to review it at DFW, or would OP have to wait until getting to IAD? And if OP has to wait until IAD, is there anywhere to achieve that in the C/D terminal, or would OP have to exit security and go to the Main terminal check in desks?

I'm curious as to the genreal process- I have an upcoming IAD-EWR on one ticket, connecting to a EWR-PVG on another ticket, and I wasn't sure how much hassle the passport check may be. UA has never seen my passport.
Old Apr 1, 19, 9:05 am

I dont believe we know, but if OP was on separate tickets, and/or it was a new passport to UA, would UA be willing to review it at DFW, or would OP have to wait until getting to IAD? And if OP has to wait until IAD, is there anywhere to achieve that in the C/D terminal, or would OP have to exit security and go to the Main terminal check in desks?

I'm curious as to the genreal process- I have an upcoming IAD-EWR on one ticket, connecting to a EWR-PVG on another ticket, and I wasn't sure how much hassle the passport check may be. UA has never seen my passport.
If same ticket, they will check before your first leg.

If separate tickets, I don't know if they would be willing to handle this for you on request at the check-in for your domestic flight. I don't see why they wouldn't; on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't really set up to do that.

If you are already airside at airport where your int'l flight departs, they can (and will) check it at the gate. You can either get in line or wait for them to call your name.

If you aren't checked in and are in danger of missing the T-60 (int'l) check-in deadline and no GAs are at your gate, you can go to a United Club / Polaris Lounge or you can go to one of the airside customer service centers and check in with a kiosk or a human. On the UA terminal maps, these are blue circles with white checks:

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...wr.aspx?POS=US

Search this Thread