Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's IAD-DXB flights [Experiences, Questions, Etc.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's IAD-DXB flights [Experiences, Questions, Etc.]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by adisneyfan2
I have the same question. I am currently booked J on both ways but the J to F is waitlisted. Anyone know the chances? GS I am sure will help.
This is a tough one to call......could go either way. I was one of 12 GS on my last return flight from DXB-IAD in January. Fortunately, my upgrade from C to F cleared when I booked the flight in May of the prior year.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K/GS, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
This is a tough one to call......could go either way. I was one of 12 GS on my last return flight from DXB-IAD in January. Fortunately, my upgrade from C to F cleared when I booked the flight in May of the prior year.
Right now I am number 1 on both lists. I dont think anyone can bump me down given the GS and fare class is J. I will just hope for the best.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
I'm curious if there's any consensus on this board as to whether a C-->J upgrade is worth it on the DXB-IAD route. I would be using my OnePass account, so the cost would be 60,000 miles.

I used to fly UA quite a bit 10 years or so ago and it seems like the hard product on the 777 used on this route is what I remember from back then -- recliner seats in C and a flat bed in F. A flat bed would be awful nice, I'm not convinced it's worth 60,000 miles.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by Ajaks
thanks jsmathen
I have E+ and seat is 21B (2 seat)

not the middle 5 seater.should i choose the middle ones?

i have onward to India and have 2 hr difference to catch the EK...doable huh!
I can only sleep in C or window seats (leaning up against the wall). So for meit's a no brainer to go for a window and cross my fingers for the upgrade.

Re: upgrading C->F....only you know what your miles are worth to you. You're correct that the plane has recliner C and flat F (unless you get lucky and get one of the few reconfigured 777s). I personally wouldn't burn 60k miles on this. But you may be on my flight in December, so I strongly encourage you to clear out of C, to increase my chances of upgrading Y->C.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Dubai DXB premium cabin loads?

Am I reading these cabin loads correctly for the IAD-DXB run? I'm looking at a trip in early November, and the premium cabins look consistently empty. I would have thought this upgrade a little harder to score, but if the seat maps are right it should be pretty easy.

I normally make sure I'm booked into the "next-to-cheapest" SWU-able fare class, but if the loads are this light up front, I may save my corporate travel agent begging credits for something harder to upgrade.

Anyone done this run and have intel to share?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I've flown KWI-IAD and DXB-IAD and have always been on a full flight in all cabins. Many last minute tickets are purchased on these flights by government contractors and employees.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
My brother has cleared 3 of 4 Dubai segments this year with sponsored systemwides. The one he didn't clear was for a trip home on a Friday night back in May. It showed plenty of availability days out, but that all disappeared come departure day. His final trip last month he deliberately flew midweek to better his chances (it worked- he cleared).
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:33 pm

OK, thanks.. what status is your brother clearing with?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ljwobker
Am I reading these cabin loads correctly for the IAD-DXB run? I'm looking at a trip in early November, and the premium cabins look consistently empty. I would have thought this upgrade a little harder to score, but if the seat maps are right it should be pretty easy.

I normally make sure I'm booked into the "next-to-cheapest" SWU-able fare class, but if the loads are this light up front, I may save my corporate travel agent begging credits for something harder to upgrade.

Anyone done this run and have intel to share?
You should know by now, from reading these boards, that making suppositions about the flight load based on the seat maps is a losers game. As other posters have noted IAD-DXB-IAD are premium-heavy routings with plenty of last-minute government and contractor business paying full-fare.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:56 pm

Watching the loads is better than no information at all, and has served me quite well with most european and asian destinations. If you have a better way of getting said information than:

"looking at the published seat availability"
and/or
"asking on Flyertalk for people who might know more"

I would love to hear it?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA G
Does NC frequently open up on the IAD-DXB route? Not many reports on the UDUstats site and I'm thinking of taking this, even if it is on the old 777. (Sure beats Y on the 744 to FRA...)
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by unavaca
Does NC frequently open up on the IAD-DXB route? Not many reports on the UDUstats site and I'm thinking of taking this, even if it is on the old 777. (Sure beats Y on the 744 to FRA...)
I've been doing some searches for the wife and I to go in Jan or Feb and it's showing new config seat maps. Alas finding nc space has been elusive. Singles here and there but not two.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ljwobker
OK, thanks.. what status is your brother clearing with?
He didn't have any status the first two trips, and premier after those.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by magemarq
I've been doing some searches for the wife and I to go in Jan or Feb and it's showing new config seat maps. Alas finding nc space has been elusive. Singles here and there but not two.
Singles at all is better than the SFO-FRA disaster. If I decide to do this, hopefully it clears before gate. I'm hoping to go in November.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by magemarq
I think people are going to find it much harder to upgrade on international flights with the new config premium class seats, due to the reduced number of seats. I'm waiting to see how things go, but I'm guessing I'm going to strongly consider moving my mostly international travel to another carrier/alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.