Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's IAD-DXB flights [Experiences, Questions, Etc.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's IAD-DXB flights [Experiences, Questions, Etc.]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Ajaks
Thans ExExpat..

how do you generally prefer this route with UA? better service.. ontime etc?

Are you trying to upgrade to E+? or to any other higher class?
We currently have E+ seats in Y; upgrade waitlisted to C. If the upgrade doesn't clear, this will actually be my first time in Y on this route. In the past, I've benefited from early booking with confirmable NC space (that's the upgradable booking class) and FIFO....these days, the general consensus is that upgrades are just harder, often going down to the gate even for 1Ks. I had never had trouble on this route in the past.

That said, I have done UA in Y+ to Asia and don't find it to be that bad. Obviously you've got less space, but really the most annoying thing for me is paying for wine. Entertainment is the same; food is kind of mediocre no matter what class you're in. Additionally, the terminal at IAD is a madhouse and even though the RCCs there get a bad rap, I still prefer them to the craziness of the general terminal- so that's another upside to C.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:21 pm

21B

thanks jsmathen
I have E+ and seat is 21B (2 seat)

not the middle 5 seater.should i choose the middle ones?

i have onward to India and have 2 hr difference to catch the EK...doable huh!

Originally Posted by jsmathen
I traveled this route in April in E+ - flight was good, food was lousy so was the service (But i kind of expected that!). Later I connected on EK to India and you will feel the difference immediately (Service, food etc. even in Y). The flight was actually a bit early.

The flight seem to be full except E+ (dont know about F). People who picked the middle row got lucky (including me!) as they got to stretch out. Dont know whether it is a usual occurrence.

On the way back I wanted to try for upgrade (with cash + miles) at the gate in Dubai- but looks like the people at gate were probably contract workers, they were not interested in talking at all!
Old May 17, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Ajaks
thanks jsmathen
I have E+ and seat is 21B (2 seat)

not the middle 5 seater.should i choose the middle ones?

i have onward to India and have 2 hr difference to catch the EK...doable huh!
Originally I had those seats (2 seats) - lot of people moved around in the E+ cabin when I was traveling (Apr 1 - 7). Probably you will get lucky when you travel as well!

I had only 2h layover - since the flight reached there a little bit early, I went to the health club and took shower - there was plenty of time to board the next flight. You should be fine with your layover as well!

Last edited by jsmathen; May 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm Reason: to clarify a point
Old May 17, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
Any experience of late upgrading C to F?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:12 pm

Dubai on UA or LH/LX?

I am flying to Dubai in October from IAD in C class and I was looking at various options. I know there's the non stop from DC but it's on the 777, so I was having second thoughts since it's the old C seat.

I was thinking that I might go instead via FRA or via ZRH. I am hoping to upgrade to F using an SWU on LH since it's a 744 to Dubai or try and use miles to upgrade on LX since it is their new 333 plane.

I would have a long layover in FRA if I want to fly on UA 767 (5 hrs) and a 4.5 hr layover in ZRH.

Am I crazy to do this just for a better seat?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're looking to experience something different (and better), I say go for it. Otherwise, it will be a long journey especially with the layover.

I've flown to DXB with a 5 hour layover in ZRH and that was painful enough. But I was in Y on LX, so that didn't help.

I've also flown to DXB direct on UA. It's nice not having a layover, but it is a long flight.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by britinva79
I am flying to Dubai in October from IAD in C class and I was looking at various options. I know there's the non stop from DC but it's on the 777, so I was having second thoughts since it's the old C seat.

I was thinking that I might go instead via FRA or via ZRH. I am hoping to upgrade to F using an SWU on LH since it's a 744 to Dubai or try and use miles to upgrade on LX since it is their new 333 plane.

I would have a long layover in FRA if I want to fly on UA 767 (5 hrs) and a 4.5 hr layover in ZRH.

I've done the FRA route once to/from a talk in Cairo, and the BOS-IAD-DXB-various cities in India more often. Personally, I'd take the C in the 777 over the long layovers anyday. The lounge in FRA is often crowded, and security can be a pain.

The only time I've done a less direct route with stopovers that long is when I can get out of the airport to meet people or see/eat something unusual.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by britinva79

Is sitting in a lounge for 4-5 hours and being exposed to twice as much "high-quality" airplane food really worth two lie flat seats?

Also, if you have an SWU, just use it to go from C to F on the 777. The seat lies flat and you get to save an extra 8 hours of your life. IAD-Dubai may be long, but I slept for 8 straight hours in C no problem last time as it was a night flight. In F, would be even easier to suffer through!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
New seats in business class on UA 977 from DXB-IAD?

Am a novice UA flyer. Always end up taking other *-A carriers. Flying tonight from DXB to IAD in business.
Does this 777 have upgraded flat beds in business class?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by anandrag
Am a novice UA flyer. Always end up taking other *-A carriers. Flying tonight from DXB to IAD in business.
Does this 777 have upgraded flat beds in business class?
No it doesn't. There are currently only 2 777's in the fleet that have the new seats...and they're not operating that route.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I recently ventured into the new Terminal 3 for the first time. This is exclusively for Emirates, but is connected to the area from which UA operates via a long walk. The terminal has some nice amenities, including a French bistro and tapas bar at the far end of the terminal, so gives more options on a layover.

There's also a second branch of the hotel, as well as much more duty-free shopping of course, though the offerings seems the same as those in Terminal 1.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
No it doesn't. There are currently only 2 777's in the fleet that have the new seats...and they're not operating that route.
How are current seats in C? How much recline? Seatguru shows that rows 8 and 9 are seperate cabin but less legroom. Worth sacrificing legroom for more quiet cabin?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
How are current seats in C? How much recline? Seatguru shows that rows 8 and 9 are seperate cabin but less legroom. Worth sacrificing legroom for more quiet cabin?
I don't like rows 8 & 9 because I notice the reduced legroom, but some love that cabin. Actually I like it for shorter domestic flights but for a long haul I want max space. I usually go for one of the aisle seats in the center section in the back...12F is my favorite. If the flight isn't full there's a good shot of having the middle seat next to you open and then no one has to climb over you during the flight, you have 2 TV screens to yourself (one for the map and one for a movie), and a drink table built for 2.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Recline is decent but not lie flat. I love rows 8 and 9, preferably 8 to be farther from the galley/lavs -- but I'm only 5'4", so legroom's not an issue. On my last flight on an old 777, a 6'3" guy pointed out that 8J and K (and therefore, I assume, 8A and C) have more legroom than the middle section of 8 and all of row 9. His preference - 8K.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K/GS, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k
Any experience of late upgrading C to F?
I have the same question. I am currently booked J on both ways but the J to F is waitlisted. Anyone know the chances? GS I am sure will help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.