Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

This Captain Should Be In Charge At UA [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This Captain Should Be In Charge At UA [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Thumbs up This Captain Should Be In Charge At UA [Merged Threads]

Had two great captains yesterday on my UA MR.

I was in F on a 320 for IAD-LAX. Captain paused before the flight to thank us all for flying UA. Heard of it happening on here, but never experienced it. Nice touch. ^

Then I had a really good captain on a Ted flight surprisingly. On the LAS-SFO leg, Captain Tim tried to turn it from RAR! into RAH! He added humor and stood at the front of the plane and gave us some interesting details ... takeoff weight, landing weight, fuel used, fuel economy (.5 mpg on a 320!), etc. Very entertaining preflight speech. Also very good about keeping us updated when we had to position and hold for 10 minutes before taking off.

I thought about giving him a GTEM card, but I didn't know if I could give them to captains or not.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 2P; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Why not? They are UA employees. I bet they don't get em often, but I imagine they are still appreciated. Since you didn't give them the card, at least write an e-mail. Everyone is quick to call "foul" but not a s quick to praise.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA, at least in the packet, made it seem like it was more for FAs and GAs than others.

FYI, I DO write UA and praise them more often than I complain.

I think I will write them an email.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:14 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
Cpt. Hansen?
Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Capt on the IAD-LAX was Capt. Shriver.

Don't remember what Capt. Tim's last name was.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:17 am

Programs: 1K
Captain Gerrity on ORD-PIT 10/22 sent all in 1st class a nice note written on a cool business card showing different Boeing aircraft in the UAL fleet.

Coming out of PIT, the staff at checkin was very impressive. If there was any good surfing in Pittsburgh I'd be tempted to move just because the UAL staff coming and going seem so nice.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by flymrpuffy
Coming out of PIT, the staff at checkin was very impressive. If there was any good surfing in Pittsburgh I'd be tempted to move just because the UAL staff coming and going seem so nice.
There is good surfing at PIT, if you count the free wireless access in the airport.

I am glad you had a good experience with the PIT check-in staff. My experiences have not been so good the many times I have used them. Checking in for the trip I am on now, they refused to take anyone from the Elite check-in line, motioning everyone to the Mr. Chickins. I had some items I needed to speak with a person about. When I finally did, they were most unhelpful and flustered.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:47 pm
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
got a note from the captain of UA 852 today

Some background:

between april and then end of october i flew twice a month between NRT and SFO (2 roundtrips per month). I flew in paid C on these flights. I got frequent upgrades, both op-ups and using SWU's and sometimes miles. Since i flew this route so often i became very familiar with the FA's and they would often greet me by my first name and always ensure i get my favourite seat and my favourite foods (do you know how good a steak tastes after 2 weeks of sushi and udon in japan btw?).

In any case, in november i didn't do much flying except a few domestic trips. For thanksgiving i decided to take the wifey for a holiday to singapore and malaysia. As i returned back this morning SIN-NRT-SFO something really nice happened. As i came onto UA 852 and took my seat in C with my wife a few of the FA's came up and said they haven't seen me for a while and checked to see everything was alright. I told them everything was fine, i just stopped traveling to Asia for the time being. As the flight was about midway the purser came over and handed me a handwritten note on the back of a business card.
It read: "Mr. XXX, It's really nice to see you flying with us again. I hope you enjoyed the flight" It was signed by the captain of the plane and it was his business card.

I got to say that i really appreciated that gesture. It made it quite a bit more personal and i really enjoyed the feeling of thinking that the staff of UA really cares.

anyway, i just wanted to share this story. It's never really happened to me before.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Definitely a class act by the pilot and flight crew ^
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Wow, that is an awesome customer service story.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Not sure my wife would be so happy that a bunch of flight attendants surround me on the plane asking how I am and knowing my first name! Okay, I am kidding....sort of.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by peter11
Not sure my wife would be so happy that a bunch of flight attendants surround me on the plane asking how I am and knowing my first name! Okay, I am kidding....sort of.
You haven't been on an UA Asia route before. Your wife would have nothing to be unhappy about!
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: LH Sen, UA Premier Exec
makes us proud of UA
Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
I don't know what is better, that the FAs remembered who you are and asked why you have not flown lately, or the captain writing you note. Good story nontheless!
Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice to see the Captain remembered you.

I recently got a note as well which I considered special on a Ted flight from TPA-ORD at 6AM.

It read:

"Dear Mr. XXXX,
100K is an impressive accomplishment for us. With all those road trips I'm sure you have a few candid comments on how we could adjust Ted to make your travels easier. If there is anything my crew or I can do to make your business trips more comfortable and enjoyable, please let me know. But if you have something broader in nature that needs headquarter attention, just email our boss: **email address**. He really appreciates direct feedback from our most valued customers. We are all here for you. Thanks again for your continued loyal support."

I thought that this was impressive. It amazed me how much text he managed to fit onto this card. Also, I have noted that normally business cards just name their base, but this one had his address, home phone number, personal email, all around great! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.