Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

February 2016 an completely air-side path between T8/T7 and TBIT opened

To get from T8/T7 to T5, one has to walk from T7 to T6, using the spaghetti junction at the T6 TSA, then walk down the T6 concourse to the middle portion (Alaska Gates), then take the underground tunnel from T6 to T4 (to American gates). Take care not to go up to T5, roughly in the middle of the tunnel area.

T5<>T4, also connected via the same tunnel complex as T5 and T6, looks for signs pointing the directions to Gates 5x or 4x depending on direction.

@ T4 --- walk thru the waiting area for gate 40, near Gate 41 you'll see escalators in the distance. Hop on those, and follow the corridors. When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Archive thread: Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yosemite1
hahaha so do 1&2 at TBIT?
Yes. There's a recheck counter right after customs.

Don't go to T4 for TSA Pre or anything like that?
Are you trying to go to the *A lounge, or straight to T7/8 (which is where the UA gates are)? If going to the *A lounge, you would re-enter either at TBIT or T4. If flying out of a higher number terminal, I'd walk outside (top level) and enter at T6/7/8.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. There's a recheck counter right after customs.

Are you trying to go to the *A lounge, or straight to T7/8 (which is where the UA gates are)? If going to the *A lounge, you would re-enter either at TBIT or T4. If flying out of a higher number terminal, I'd walk outside (top level) and enter at T6/7/8.

If UA doesn't move my flights, I'll be headed to the AC MLL - T6 (where my departing LAX > YYZ flight will be)
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If UA doesn't move my flights, I'll be headed to the AC MLL - T6 (where my departing LAX > YYZ flight will be)
Drop bags, head upstairs, go outside, turn right, walk to T6, clear security.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by Kacee
Drop bags, head upstairs, go outside, turn right, walk to T6, clear security.
Thank you!!!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Paul Ryu
... is 96 min layover enough time for domestic to international flight at LAX?
KOA to LAX to YYZ

United Flight 1205 arriving from KONA, HI to LAX at 8:39pm in Terminal 7
United Flight 8324 departing LAX to Toronto, Canada at 10:15pm in Terminal 6 (Operated by Air Canada)

Do we go through customs at KOA or LAX?
Do we have to go out and come back at security in Terminal 6?
Does our luggage have to be picked up at LAX and reloaded? or Can I request the luggage continue on to the final destination?

I'm sweating buckets,...
can I get a step by step instruction to catch the connection with confidence,...
thx
Welcome to FT!, Paul Ryu

Anything over an hour should be fine for a UA-AC connection at LAX. As you are arriving on a domestic flight from KOA/Kona there will be no customs at LAX. But there will be on arrival at Toronto / XYZ.

On arrival with UA at LAX (T7/8), it is a short walk (10 minutes or so depending on walking speed) to AC T6. (Last year AC was located at T2 and things were more complicated -- no longer).

You will not need to reclear security as the areas are all connected inside the secure area. Your luggage should be checked to XYZ and you will not need to touch them at LAX.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, Paul Ryu

Anything over an hour should be fine for a UA-AC connection at LAX. As you are arriving on a domestic flight from KOA/Kona there will be no customs at LAX. But there will be on arrival at Toronto / XYZ.

On arrival with UA at LAX (T7/8), it is a short walk (10 minutes or so depending on walking speed) to AC T6. (Last year AC was located at T2 and things were more complicated -- no longer).

You will not need to reclear security as the areas are all connected inside the secure area. Your luggage should be checked to XYZ and you will not need to touch them at LAX.
Nor will there be any customs at KOA; there are no exit controls in the USA.

However, unless something has changed recently, you'll need to do an agricultural screening of your bags upon departure from KOA, so you should arrive at the airport a little earlier than you otherwise would.

If things are even close to on time, you have plenty of time at LAX.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm confused.
I booked UA SIN-LAX-DFW with a 1hr 10 min connection in LAX. Scary tight but R space was available at booking so I took the chance.
Now a schedule change has my cxn at 1 hour exactly. But looking on EF it says the MCT is 2 hours?

I'll call tomorrow and hopefully they'll reroute me via SFO and clear the UG space (no R avl) without an argument.
But I don't understand how did the web site let me book this to begin with? I always assumed if it showed available on the website it was a legal cxn?

Last edited by chavala; Dec 17, 2017 at 11:56 am Reason: sp
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
I'm confused.
I booked UA SIN-LAX-DFW with a 1hr 10 min connection in LAX. Scary tight but R space was available at booking so I took the chance.
Now a schedule change has my cxn at 1 hour exactly. But looking on EF it says the MCT is 2 hours?

I'll call tomorrow and hopefully they'll reroute me via SFO and clear the UG space (no R avl) without an argument.
But I don't understand how did the web site let me book this to begin with? I always assumed if it showed available on the website it was a legal cxn?
You always need to include the carriers in order to get the correct MCT. Although the generic MCT for I-D at LAX is 2 hours, UA has a 1 hour, ten minute override. Having said that — it’s also got a 1 hour, 30 minute rule for most flight number ranges when arriving at Terminal “B” (TBIT). Is your DFW flight number in the 2120-3249 range? These have apparently been left out of the 1:30 rule.

Having said that, I can’t imagine trying to make a 70 minute I-D connection at LAX. I wouldn’t try to make D-I at LAX in 70 minutes. . So I’d say UA did you a favor here by misconnecting you in advance, so to speak. I hope they’re reasonable about opening R on SIN-SFO.

Good luck!
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm confused.
Now a schedule change has my cxn at 1 hour exactly. But looking on EF it says the MCT is 2 hours? ....
EF shows ID UA mainline to UA mainline MCT is 1:10 (the 2-hour STANDARD value is for UA to another carrier), so the original booking was "valid" but the new booking is a problem.

You should not have a problem rebooking a valid UA-UA combo with keeping the upgrade. And licky you can because the 1:10 in LAX could have been problematic.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2017 at 12:37 pm Reason: Typo ID, not DI
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

You always need to include the carriers in order to get the correct MCT. Although the generic MCT for I-D at LAX is 2 hours, UA has a 1 hour, ten minute override. Having said that — it’s also got a 1 hour, 30 minute rule for most flight number ranges when arriving at Terminal “B” (TBIT). Is your DFW flight number in the 2120-3249 range? These have apparently been left out of the 1:30 rule.

Having said that, I can’t imagine trying to make a 70 minute I-D connection at LAX. I wouldn’t try to make D-I at LAX in 70 minutes. . So I’d say UA did you a favor here by misconnecting you in advance, so to speak. I hope they’re reasonable about opening R on SIN-SFO.

Good luck!
I did include the UA-UA carriers but didn't realize that top line is the "generic" MCT.
No, not TBIT -- I would never try that! But with no checked bags and available R on the NS SIN-LAX, it was hard to resist.
I'm UA 38 to UA 5254, but I don't see that listed. I assume that means I go by the bottom line of 1:10?
It's not an easy read so thanks for clearing this up for me!
I'm pretty confident UA will change me to SFO, (they've been very good about this sort of thing in the past), so you're right, this is good luck.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did include the UA-UA carriers but didn't realize that top line is the "generic" MCT.
No, not TBIT -- I would never try that! But with no checked bags and available R on the NS SIN-LAX, it was hard to resist.
I'm UA 38 to UA 5254, but I don't see that listed. I assume that means I go by the bottom line of 1:10?
It's not an easy read so thanks for clearing this up for me!
I'm pretty confident UA will change me to SFO, (they've been very good about this sort of thing in the past), so you're right, this is good luck.
Well, my understanding is that the most specific rule should apply:

UA-UA ID 1.30 FLT 1 - 2119 - FLT 3250 - 6548 TRM B - **
That reads as “UA I-D, inbound flight 1-2119, outbound flight 3250-6548, Terminal B to any terminal, is 1:30.” And I’m confused by your statement that you would never try TBIT — I’m pretty sure that all inbound international flights into LAX arrive into TBIT.

So, yes, I think the original flight was under MCT in the first place, unless I’m missing something here. (If I am, someone will certainly correct me. :-)

Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

Well, my understanding is that the most specific rule should apply:

That reads as “UA I-D, inbound flight 1-2119, outbound flight 3250-6548, Terminal B to any terminal, is 1:30.” And I’m confused by your statement that you would never try TBIT — I’m pretty sure that all inbound international flights into LAX arrive into TBIT.

So, yes, I think the original flight was under MCT in the first place, unless I’m missing something here. (If I am, someone will certainly correct me. :-)

I think only the very early arrivals from Oz are to TBIT. Mine shows as T7.

Is there a way to view historical data on the MCT? My friend just told me his AA-AA flight was 1:30 and now 1:45. Meaning a miss-connect for him as well.

Last edited by chavala; Dec 17, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:50 pm

Only MEL and SYD arrive at TBIT. SIN arrives at T7.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think only the very early arrivals from Oz are to TBIT. Mine shows as T7.

Is there a way to view historical data on the MCT? My friend just told me his AA-AA flight was 1:30 and now 1:45. Meaning a miss-connect for him as well.
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Only MEL and SYD arrive at TBIT. SIN arrives at T7.
Thanks. As I said, I was sure I’d be corrected if I was mistaken. :-). I wasn’t aware there were clearance facilities outside of TBIT. That makes it somewhat less insane, but I’d still be skeptical of my ability to make the connection, personally.

And, yes, it does mean that the most specific rule for those flights is the catch-all 1.10 UA-UA rule — a 70 minute MCT.

@chavala EF certainly doesn’t offer that option. KVS might; I’ve never used it. Alternatively, it’s possible that EF has historical data but doesn’t surface it, and they might be able to answer a one-off query.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:05 am

I'm confused.

So here's the Monday morning update on this. Called 1K desk, had a wonderful agent who saw the problem right away and proactively told me she'd put me on x/SFO instead, even reading me the new itinerary before putting me on hold to make the change...
DENIED!
Even the agent seemed shocked and told me she does this all the time, she doesn't understand.
I get on with an extremely snarky supervisor who told me they will not clear UG space on a different routing. (Mind you, this is a Thursday in mid-July with not one seat yet assigned on that flight).
When I said they've done this for me many times over the years, she replied "we just got a memo about this last week, we will no longer do it", then went on to tell me there will probably be so many schedule changes between now and July I shouldn't worry, and anyway, that flight usually gets in early so I have PLENTY of time! She was so rude and condescending, acting as if how DARE I bother her with this ridiculous request. It really has me upset.
She gave me a choice of flying via DEN, (arriving home very late at night), I refused, and she left it the way it is.

So I have a confirmed reservation, schedule change accepted (not by me), with an illegal connection and they think that's perfectly fine. How it this allowed??

Now what? HUCA? (I argued with her for 5 minutes straight so I'm sure they have that in the record). Wait a few days? Write to 1K voice?

P.S. the first agent told me the MCT in LAX is 1:20, not 1:10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.