Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United ERJ-145.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The ERJ-145 has 1-2 configuration, with the 2 side beginning at row 3.

Cabin walk through video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu6HewvsvlU

In general, the A side provides wider seats, with armrests that can be moved out of the way using the button under the armrest where it meets the seat. The exit row (18) provides the greatest amount of legroom, although this is a regional jet with very limited space.

Many people prefer to be closer to the front (seats 1A, 2A, and 3A), while recognizing there is no overhead storage for these seats (all overhead storage is on the right side of the plane starting at row 3), however, sitting close to the front can lead to being reseated farther back to accommodate weight balance for take-off.

1A, 3CD, 18ACD are E+ seats and the rest of Row 2-5 are regular E- but are reserved for UA premier members
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United ERJ-145.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 10:35 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by theboss7593

.. Looking on the map for my EWR-RIC flight this weekend the space around Seats 2A-5A and 4-5 CD are in dark blue but the actual seat ICON is white. Are these ECON or ECON PLUS seats? On the select my seats those seats aren't available to select but I'm thinking maybe at check-in they will be. Thanks
Preferred seats, available to Gold and up at booking, Silver at checkin, nonstatus for $$$ or at gate if all E- is full.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Thanks and I just found the answer to my own question here, DOH! We'll see come check in... Guess my X class isn't a qualifying class of service. Maybe this info will benefit someone in the future.
2A and 3A are perfectly good regular Econ seats, especially if you're tall. There's a small button under the armrest at the joint. Push it to raise the armrest and you can stretch out your feet toward the galley (of course avoiding tripping up the FA).
Old May 28, 2018, 5:24 pm

I took an RJ145 flight recently, EWR-STL. Booked 1A. It must not have been more than 45’F in my area for well over an hour and a half. I asked the FA if we could do something about this, she said something to the effect of, “I can tell the pilot, but for such a large plane (?) one would think that the air circulation could be better, it’s quite warm in the other part of the plane.” And she was right, it was warm in the other parts of the plane. But not in and around 1A. Grudgingly I slip into a state of semi-hibernation for the next two hours. I was not happy.

When we land and taxi towards the gate, I lean forward and tell the FA how miserable I was for the duration of the flight and that they should look into what’s wrong with the climate control in 1A. She sheepishly says, "Sorry, sir".

Half-frozen I deplane and stand there waiting for my gate-checked bag. I glance into the plane and see the FA and FO talking. The FA points right at me. I immediately get this sinking feeling, I can see the look in this FOs eye. He immediately marches over to me, index finger extended at my chest and says, “What’s your problem?”

I say, “Oh, my problem was that Seat 1A was extremely cold and…”

He cuts me off and says, “The FA says you were disrespectful to her!”

“Huh?”, I stammer, incredulous at his claim, “I was not disrespectful to her.”

He double-downs, “She says your were disrespectful!”

Dealing with overzealous people in a position of authority is truly one of the most frustrating things; I immediately shut my mouth, close my eyes, and take deep breath. I was defeated; you simply don’t argue with a pilot.

Before I can exhale the the passengers in 2A and 3A ring out in unison, “What are you talking about, sir? We were right there with 1A and he was nothing but respectful.” The FO turns to them and declares (index finger still wagging), “My job is to make sure the whole plane is comfortable, not just the wishes of one person!”

And with that he stomps back into the plane. Me, 2A, 3A - and at least 20 other passengers gathered in the jet-bridge - all look at each in disbelief. What just happened?

United’s own apocryphal FA announcement says it the best: "If there is anything we can do to make your flight more enjoyable, please let us know!" Great advice! Let them know so the FO can brow-beat you!
Old May 28, 2018, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cheez2112

And with that he stomps back into the plane. Me, 2A, 3A - and at least 20 other passengers gathered in the jet-bridge - all look at each in disbelief. What just happened?

United’s own apocryphal FA announcement says it the best: "If there is anything we can do to make your flight more enjoyable, please let us know!" Great advice! Let them know so the FO can brow-beat you!
FA decided to make your life miserable, and FO apparently was having a bad day and decided to take it out on you @:-)

Those regional FAs are some of the worst in the system - not all, I've flown with some great ones (once in a great while).

Glad that 2A came to your rescue ^

Oh, as to the announcement, those are just word written by management to feel good, FAs may be required to read them, but do not follow them - OK, some of them totally ignore them, some do try to be helpful.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The front cabin is always too cool, and the aft cabin always too warm, on the E-145. There is nothing that the crew can do about it. There is only a single temperature control for the entire passenger cabin.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:10 am

Hi all, will be flying to/from EWR-MKE on the 145. I'm a tall guy (6'4) mostly all leg. Recently sat in E on a 170/175 and it was doable but was a quick 1.5 hour flight.

On my outbound, 1A, 3D, and 18D are available (I'm currently in 19A as I usually prefer aisle seats to stretch my legs).
Return, 3D and all of row 18 are available.

Any recommendations for where I would be most comfortable on both legs? It's sounding like 1A on the outbound and 18A on the return but would definitely like confirmation before paying to go to E+.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I am 6'1" and for me row 18 is the most comfortable. Row 3 will be tough for you because of the bulkhead. Go with row 18 in general and 18C specifically if available.
cerps343 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cerps343
Hi all, will be flying to/from EWR-MKE on the 145. I'm a tall guy (6'4) mostly all leg. Recently sat in E on a 170/175 and it was doable but was a quick 1.5 hour flight.

On my outbound, 1A, 3D, and 18D are available (I'm currently in 19A as I usually prefer aisle seats to stretch my legs).

Any recommendations for where I would be most comfortable on both legs? It's sounding like 1A on the outbound and 18A on the return but would definitely like confirmation before paying to go to E+.

Thanks!
I would vote for Row 18 for both legs. Should be plenty of leg-room for 6'4"

1A is just OK, and you have an increased risk of being re-seated to an inferior seat for weight and balance.
cerps343 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cheez2112
I took an RJ145 flight recently, EWR-STL. Booked 1A. It must not have been more than 45’F in my area for well over an hour and a half. I asked the FA if we could do something about this, she said something to the effect of, “I can tell the pilot, but for such a large plane (?) one would think that the air circulation could be better, it’s quite warm in the other part of the plane.” And she was right, it was warm in the other parts of the plane. But not in and around 1A. Grudgingly I slip into a state of semi-hibernation for the next two hours. I was not happy.

When we land and taxi towards the gate, I lean forward and tell the FA how miserable I was for the duration of the flight and that they should look into what’s wrong with the climate control in 1A. She sheepishly says, "Sorry, sir".

Half-frozen I deplane and stand there waiting for my gate-checked bag. I glance into the plane and see the FA and FO talking. The FA points right at me. I immediately get this sinking feeling, I can see the look in this FOs eye. He immediately marches over to me, index finger extended at my chest and says, “What’s your problem?”

I say, “Oh, my problem was that Seat 1A was extremely cold and…”

He cuts me off and says, “The FA says you were disrespectful to her!”

“Huh?”, I stammer, incredulous at his claim, “I was not disrespectful to her.”

He double-downs, “She says your were disrespectful!”

Dealing with overzealous people in a position of authority is truly one of the most frustrating things; I immediately shut my mouth, close my eyes, and take deep breath. I was defeated; you simply don’t argue with a pilot.

Before I can exhale the the passengers in 2A and 3A ring out in unison, “What are you talking about, sir? We were right there with 1A and he was nothing but respectful.” The FO turns to them and declares (index finger still wagging), “My job is to make sure the whole plane is comfortable, not just the wishes of one person!”

I'm just reading now your report. My wife had a totally different experience when her 1A seat area was so cold and it was in July. She did not say anything about it to the FA. When he was serving the first round of drinks, she asked for wine and gave him one coupon. When he was serving the second round of drinks, she asked for wine and presented a coupon. He did not take it and said: "Yes, this area is freezing".

And I was enjoying seat 18A where it was not cold at all.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cerps343

Thanks!
YMMV on 1A versus 18D depending on how much you value raw legroom (18D has more) versus being jammed in next to another pax. 18A is obviously the best seat unless you want to look out the window (I'm happy to slum it in an A seat forward of the wing for the view, but my big issue with Y is width at the shoulders, not legroom).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It’s been a while since I’ve been on an ER4, since my hone airport mostly doesn’t get 50 seaters anymore, but flying on Xmas day and they do all sorts of weird things, so in one.

Traveling with a lap infant, and I know there are only 4 rows that can be used because hose rows only have the extra oxygen masks (and has to be on the two-seat side). Family booked in 8ACD right now - can anyone confirm if this row, or rather, which rows, have the extra mask? I used to know, but can’t recall anymore.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
It’s been a while since I’ve been on an ER4, since my hone airport mostly doesn’t get 50 seaters anymore, but flying on Xmas day and they do all sorts of weird things, so in one.

Traveling with a lap infant, and I know there are only 4 rows that can be used because hose rows only have the extra oxygen masks (and has to be on the two-seat side). Family booked in 8ACD right now - can anyone confirm if this row, or rather, which rows, have the extra mask? I used to know, but can’t recall anymore.
Apologies if my recollection is inaccurate, but I believe 8 does not have the extra mask.

If you can move to 3, I am sure that does. Unfortunately it's not very comfortable for passengers above 5'9".
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The front cabin is always too cool, and the aft cabin always too warm, on the E-145. There is nothing that the crew can do about it. There is only a single temperature control for the entire passenger cabin.
The newer ones seem to be better for a more even temperature. My assumption is since the engines are in the rear, the heating comes from the rear and obviously warms the rear better. Maybe the newer ones have better insulation on the ducting which helps get more warm air to the front. Not sure.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe

Originally Posted by fumje
Apologies if my recollection is inaccurate, but I believe 8 does not have the extra mask.

If you can move to 3, I am sure that does. Unfortunately it's not very comfortable for passengers above 5'9".

Some google searching leads me to believe the rows with the extra mask are 3, 7, 11, 21, and 24.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The newer ones seem to be better for a more even temperature. My assumption is since the engines are in the rear, the heating comes from the rear and obviously warms the rear better. Maybe the newer ones have better insulation on the ducting which helps get more warm air to the front. Not sure.
No matter what plane I fly on (not restricted to UA), I always wear extra items to stay warm. This includes an extra sweater or sweatshirt, and an extra Tee shirt as well. I never know how cold it will be at my seat but the last thing I want is to be miserably cold for the duration of the flight.

It I am too warm, I shed . It's easy to stuff things around me if I don't need to wear them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.