Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Retro-posting UA Lifetime flight miles-former 1K moving back to MP from SAS EuroBonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retro-posting UA Lifetime flight miles-former 1K moving back to MP from SAS EuroBonus

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ani90
Yes, but not itself an illogical one. Why should lifetime miles reflect miles credited to MP as opposed to miles flown in UA? In theory, lifetime miles should include each time one flew in a United jet - United is still getting your life of patronage and cash even if you credited redeemable miles to another *A program. Of course the rules are the rules, and we agreed to them, but in an ideal world with good IT systems, the lifetime mileage program could register each time anyone flies United, regardless of other factors, regardless of if the reward for milestones is a gift from the loyalty program. Afterall the program according to united is
emphasis being on flying a million miles on their airline and not on logging a million miles with MP.

It is an unusual question but thinking about it I wonder why not been asked before.
I thought the same thing -- I then I remembered the one immutable fact -- It's all about the money....
UA_Flyer and lars747 like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 5:26 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I thought the same thing -- I then I remembered the one immutable fact -- It's all about the money....
Yes but if you have flown 1 million miles on UA you have spent a lot of money (on United flights), United has made a not insignificant amount money from you, and you have (typically) patronized United substantially for a decade or more, so there is a reason for United to reward and incentivize you, regardless of whether you credited those million miles to United, another *A program, or indeed any loyalty program. So if the reward is for those who have flown a million miles on United, why not give the reward to all. It is probable that the rule exists because historically, the only means to track lifetime miles was through miles credited to the MP program; but assuming that a means exists outside MP program to accurately tally lifetime miles then is there a logical reason not to use that?
lars747 and mmolesky like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Yes but if you have flown 1 million miles on UA you have spent a lot of money (on United flights), United has made a not insignificant amount money from you, and you have (typically) patronized United substantially for a decade or more, so there is a reason for United to reward and incentivize you, regardless of whether you credited those million miles to United, another *A program, or indeed any loyalty program. So if the reward is for those who have flown a million miles on United, why not give the reward to all. It is probable that the rule exists because historically, the only means to track lifetime miles was through miles credited to the MP program; but assuming that a means exists outside MP program to accurately tally lifetime miles then is there a logical reason not to use that?
*A is predominantly a marketing alliance -- there is no such thing as a *A "loyalty" program -- wish there was.... When OP flew on UA and credited the miles to SAS UA had to pay SAS for the liability that was created on SAS - that's what I meant by the money, thereby reducing UA's profit -- which as we all know in the airline business is low single digit profits (if any) -- while the mileage programs make / are worth billions.... When you credit to another airline you are a cost -- it's simple economics....
Old May 14, 2024, 6:13 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
While UA is working on what you propose, UA should also credit us BIS miles on UA award tickets because award tickets are also paid by "money." I bet that UA won't do this for anyone.
Old May 14, 2024, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It is highly unrealistic to expect UA to amend its MileagePlus Terms and Conditions in this fashion.
uanj likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Yes, but not itself an illogical one. Why should lifetime miles reflect miles credited to MP as opposed to miles flown in UA? In theory, lifetime miles should include each time one flew in a United jet - United is still getting your life of patronage and cash even if you credited redeemable miles to another *A program. Of course the rules are the rules, and we agreed to them, but in an ideal world with good IT systems, the lifetime mileage program could register each time anyone flies United, regardless of other factors, regardless of if the reward for milestones is a gift from the loyalty program. Afterall the program according to united is
emphasis being on flying a million miles on their airline and not on logging a million miles with MP.

It is an unusual question but thinking about it I wonder why not been asked before.
Its the do-over aspect that is novel here. There definitely have been questions about MM credit for flights that didnt earn MP credit. E.g., if I fly on an award ticket on UA, it meets the description of what you cited (I flew on United aircraft), my butt was in the seat, but I dont get MM credit.

Most of us here seem to know how this work. Most of us who have worked for a large company probably also known that UA MP customer service isnt going to invent a new process to reward the OP for past flights that UA has paid money to SAS for.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, ani90 and 1 others like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you are a predominantly economy flyer, at an average of 5cpm, you can get to MM with $50K of spend over 10 years assuming a 100K/yr clip, that's $5K year. Is that a lot? Surely does not sound like a lot to United over a 10 year period, getting even less than $5K year after removing taxes/fees, and that's just topline revenue.

There is no mechanism for what you speak of in any airline/alliance. Surely UA is not about to start such a program out of its goodwill.
uanj and notquiteaff like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If UA believed as you do, that these flyers are very valuable despite crediting to another program, they could set up the rules accordingly. SQ does this -- you can earn PPS status on SQ while crediting your travel elsewhere. The fact that UA does not do this shows that they do not agree with your premise.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you are a predominantly economy flyer, at an average of 5cpm, you can get to MM with $50K of spend over 10 years assuming a 100K/yr clip, that's $5K year. Is that a lot? Surely does not sound like a lot to United over a 10 year period, getting even less than $5K year after removing taxes/fees, and that's just topline revenue.
I mean, to be fair, most economy flyers are still paying much more than 5cpm. The only passengers who would consistently see fares like that are people who either (a) only travel internationally or (b) live on one coast and fly to the other. At 5cpm, you'd need 360K BIS miles to reach 1K.

That said, I emphatically agree with the point that UA has been trying, for years, to get rid of low-yield customers. It strains credulity to think that they would go out of their way to give an incentive to lure people back into MP in the way OP desires.
SPN Lifer, UA_Flyer, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Talking

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
*A is predominantly a marketing alliance -- there is no such thing as a *A "loyalty" program -- wish there was.... When OP flew on UA and credited the miles to SAS UA had to pay SAS for the liability that was created on SAS - that's what I meant by the money, thereby reducing UA's profit -- which as we all know in the airline business is low single digit profits (if any) -- while the mileage programs make / are worth billions.... When you credit to another airline you are a cost -- it's simple economics....
UA has proven to be very creative in monetizing their product. The OP raises a very interesting question. I would fully expect UA to say “no.” But, what if UA would be willing to sell the BIS miles back to customers who had credit their UA metal flights to another program or flew on award tickets? I credited all of my UA metal flights to US from about 2002 - 2008, after which I switched my loyalty to CO. I have been suffering from buyer’s remorse ever since the CO-UA merger. I mourned the loss of those UA BIS miles (I have no idea how many). I don’t know that I would be willing to buy them and my miles flown on award travel back if UA were willing to sell them to me. But, I know that I would like to have the option!!
jpezaris and mmolesky like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
That said, I emphatically agree with the point that UA has been trying, for years, to get rid of low-yield customers.
UA is okay selling low-yield fares to fill the cabin, particularly when there's an opportunity for ancillary revenue. But it emphatically does not want to provide elite benefits to those who consistently buy those fares. It will, however, be delighted to offer them a Chase co-branded credit card application . . . .
jsloan, uanj, tcdtcd and 2 others like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SS255
UA has proven to be very creative in monetizing their product. The OP raises a very interesting question. I would fully expect UA to say no. But, what if UA would be willing to sell the BIS miles back to customers who had credit their UA metal flights to another program or flew on award tickets? I credited all of my UA metal flights to US from about 2002 - 2008, after which I switched my loyalty to CO. I have been suffering from buyers remorse ever since the CO-UA merger. I mourned the loss of those UA BIS miles (I have no idea how many). I dont know that I would be willing to buy them and my miles flown on award travel back if UA were willing to sell them to me. But, I know that I would like to have the option!!
Why are people interested in becoming MMers? Well, I dont know about others, but for me it was a way to get off the UA requalification treadmill and to be able to direct spend to other airlines as a free agent where it benefited me more (better schedule, better earnings, .). So unless they charge a ton for those redeemable and MMer miles, it really wouldnt seem to be in the best interest of UA to offer such a program to people who have buyers remorse about a decision they made many years ago. And as others have pointed out, there are also practical aspects - how would they find your records from when you were a US loyalist?

We can all dream about what loyalty programs could do for us, but a program with over 100 million members is not going to invest time and effort into such a niche thing.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, tcdtcd and 1 others like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by mmolesky
Yes, I do fear it would be quite involved on their end, and for that reason alone I could see why they would reject the request - but maybe they would be able to look back to 2021. That's very helpful to know from an infrastructure standpoint, I'll update if I'm able to engage the support team.

Indeed, that is what I will do!

Evidently this touches a bit of a nerve for folks! Despite the tenor of some comments, fortunately I don't think this situation is quite the Romanovs asking their cousin King George V for a flight to safety from the Bolsheviks 😆

To reiterate one of my earlier points, I would have no problem transferring these mileage credits away from SAS and over to United if it were allowed as a one-time exemption to go back further than 12 months. Such a change would not have affected my status or benefits with SAS during this period, and I have plenty of miles banked in that account to remove if needed. I'm under no illusions that we're talking business here on all sides. It's a genuine question about an unusual situation, and a valuable (I'd argue, reasonable) incentive United could provide to a relevant group of itinerant EuroBonus elites.

As an unexpected bonus, some of this thread gives me an amusing throwback to a Monty Python classic:

MAN: [Aggressively Shouting.] What do you want?
CUSTOMER: Well I was told outside
MAN: [Shouting.] Dont give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings!
CUSTOMER: [In Shock.] What?
MAN: [Continuing aggression.] Shut your festering gob, you t*t! Your type makes me puke! You vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous perv*rt!
CUSTOMER: [Yelling.] What? I came in here for an argument!
MAN: [Apologetic.] Oh! Oh. Im sorry! This is abuse.
CUSTOMER: Oh! [Audience laughter.] Oh I see! Well that explains it.
Love the Monty Python! Bring back the memories from my UK school days.

Please do provide us with an update if you decide to pursue. Whether it is going anywhere with UA or not, I do appreciate your creativity and effort.
mmolesky likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 2:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... Why should lifetime miles reflect miles credited to MP as opposed to miles flown in UA? In theory, lifetime miles should include each time one flew in a United jet - United is still getting your life of patronage and cash even if you credited redeemable miles to another *A program. ....
As starters, how does UA know it's you? status and lifetime miles are tracked via your MP number --- that was a major part of creating the account number is for tracking. Names alone will not work
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 3:57 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
In the new world order chasing MM is such a fools game. The drawbridge will be pulled up before long , and no more lifetime 1k or GS will be minted

the other way the J product will be protected tiers of soft product for spend vs award travel

there will be flying in J and j
Old May 14, 2024, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
In the new world order chasing MM is such a fools game. The drawbridge will be pulled up before long , and no more lifetime 1k or GS will be minted

the other way the J product will be protected tiers of soft product for spend vs award travel

there will be flying in J and j
Chasing it may be a fools game, but having it certainly is not.
Baze, SPN Lifer, uanj and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.