Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequency of upgrades in 2024

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2024, 8:13 am
Formerly known as tireman77

I've been saying this mantra for the better part of 10 years: If you want to fly up front, pay for it. Airlines are monetizing upgrades and I can't really blame them.

Every year, free agency gets more and more appealing.
Old May 5, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I've been saying this mantra for the better part of 10 years: If you want to fly up front, pay for it. Airlines are monetizing upgrades and I can't really blame them.

I couldn't agree more -- but unfortunately for all of us here on FT -- most likely being the top 1-3% of all travelers -- it's going to take a few more years before the rest of the general travelling world realizes that they have been fleeced -- earn and burn everyone -- it's not going to get better.....
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

this. Ive been flying almost entirely upfront for the last seven years. Ive been using my miles on both United and Delta to fly upfront domestically and sucking it up to pay for business on long-haul. Dont regret a single dollar Ive spent in this regard. No stress worrying about whether my upgrade will clear makes the experience so much better.
zombietooth and PLeblond like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 8:32 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I couldn't agree more -- but unfortunately for all of us here on FT -- most likely being the top 1-3% of all travelers -- it's going to take a few more years before the rest of the general travelling world realizes that they have been fleeced -- earn and burn everyone -- it's not going to get better.....
I would agree with most of what you said, except the top 1%-3% of travellers. I know a poop-ton of road warriors who are heavy flyers but don't know FT exists, have no idea how to easily optimize their earning with low hanging fruit, or even are aware of the true benefits of status in my opinion: Proper IRROPs protection.

I have family and co workers whoI have helped attain *G (on AC) without flying any more just by booking smartly, they had no clue.

FT is minuscule outlier of the flying public and have insignificant effect on airlines. What is posted as outrageous here doesn't matter to 99% of travellers.

But we do love flying and planes...

Now back on topic: unless you can organically accumulate the required miles and/or someone else is paying, I think with a good credit card for priority, travel disruption insurance and a checked bag, a lounge programme subscription, Google Flights and Expert Flyer, there is very little missing advantage to status apart from an occasional ego stroking by crew. Plus you get to try different airlines.
Old May 5, 2024, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Bronco1983
Wow. I assumed GS almost always clears.

ya Im in a hub (DEN). Which is good because I always have direct flights. But sucks for upgrades. Kinda feels like 1K isnt really worth it if I cant get many upgrades
There is a common misconception that GS almost clear upgrades or GS are almost always flying in F/J. I have this thing going with a few GS who frequently fly between EWR/IAD and FLL/PBI/MIA about us almost only fly cheap Y and rely on CPUs. We often sit at exit row (beggars F seats) and observe recent trend that people are more willing to pay for F (and pay cash upgrades) than before Covid. Spending behaviors have changed.

I am only 50% on upgrades with PPs domestically. Often F is sold out 48 hours out. I am almost 100% on international upgrade since GS program was introduced. Only 1 flight not cleared during all these years when using PPs.

I know some plan their flying based on upgrade chances, but I fly based on my own schedule and needs, so my % may be lower than those who are more flexible.
uanj, narvik and bmwe92fan like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Bronco1983 (Post # 1)
I had hoped with the higher minimums to earn 1K last year that there would be fewer 1Ks this year, and thus more upgrades.
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS (Post # 2)
The 1K preboarding group is significantly smaller than previous years and the upgrade lists are shorter.
So are there indeed fewer MileagePlus Premier 1K members clustered about the boarding gates these days?
Old May 5, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by Bronco1983
Wow. I assumed GS almost always clears.
I've had numerous flights this year WITH PP applied that have not cleared. I believe its mostly people paying for F outright BUT I think a close 2nd is the push to sell cheap upgrades in the weeks leading up to the flight. IAH-LAX on a saturday last month early morning and was J5 3 days out.... I did not clear and that was one with PP.

Another really odd one was a non-hub was JAX-IAH.... no PP but I have flown that route for many years and it was a CPU guarantee 100% of the time. I remained in the back.... this was just a few weeks ago.

5 years ago I NEVER had to put an upgrade on a domestic flight as GS with the exception of maybe IAH-EWR and sometimes ORD.... CPU's almost always cleared at the GS window of 120 hours. Totally different world now.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
As a lower Gold level, upgrades are definitely tough. But I also look at the whole package United is offering.

I just flew SBA - LAX - SEA, then SEA - SFO - SBA return with my son this past weekend.

- E+ for the two of us at booking, good seats all 4 segments.
- Priority 1 boarding. No problems getting bin space and settling in.
- Free checked bags (although not used)
- Love the * Gold lounge access for both of us, even when in coach. In LAX we hit both the MLL in T6, and the * Alliance Lounge in TBIT (one of my favorites). Food, drink, outdoor patio
- Hit the new MLL lounge in SFO on the way back through. Cocktails are all free (unlike UA Club), outdoor patio too.
- Free SDC to hop on an earlier return flight.
- No upgrades but a good experience overall!
narvik likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 6:18 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I would agree with most of what you said, except the top 1%-3% of travellers. I know a poop-ton of road warriors who are heavy flyers but don't know FT exists, have no idea how to easily optimize their earning with low hanging fruit, or even are aware of the true benefits of status in my opinion: Proper IRROPs protection.

I have family and co workers whoI have helped attain *G (on AC) without flying any more just by booking smartly, they had no clue.

FT is minuscule outlier of the flying public and have insignificant effect on airlines. What is posted as outrageous here doesn't matter to 99% of travellers.

But we do love flying and planes...

Now back on topic: unless you can organically accumulate the required miles and/or someone else is paying, I think with a good credit card for priority, travel disruption insurance and a checked bag, a lounge programme subscription, Google Flights and Expert Flyer, there is very little missing advantage to status apart from an occasional ego stroking by crew. Plus you get to try different airlines.
Spoiler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.