Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else noticed United 1k and service overall hitting rock bottom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone else noticed United 1k and service overall hitting rock bottom

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2024, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bisherk
Pay a premium for my b fares so I can use these upgradeable tickets, so if your system upgrades me fix the issue. I don't ask for it, you offer it...
I hope you are aware that purchasing a B fare does not guarantee an upgrade.

And there is no such thing as a 1K supervisor at any airport. Or anywhere else.

I think there are some misunderstanding issues involved here.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 4, 2024 at 10:56 pm
Old May 5, 2024, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It is, however, "safer".
I don't even understand what this means. "Safer" how? A P fare is no different from any other fare. It's like saying "don't change a Z or an S fare, it's not safe."

There is no higher risk of a ticketing error with a P than any other fare class, nor does changing a P somehow enhance the risk of a downgrade.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee (Post # 72)
To say that people shouldn't try to change P fares is unsupported and in my opinion wholly unwarranted.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 74)
It is, however, "safer".
Originally Posted by Kacee (Post # 77)
I don't even understand what this means. "Safer" how? A P fare is no different from any other fare. It's like saying "don't change a Z or an S fare, it's not safe."

There is no higher risk of a ticketing error with a P than any other fare class, nor does changing a P somehow enhance the risk of a downgrade.
A change to any ticket involves the risk of ticketing error. Not making the change eliminates that risk.
Old May 5, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee

The online change tool does have an annoying little habit of changing one flight to economy (without telling you) when you change the other direction on a round trip.
uanj and zombietooth like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 9:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
The online change tool does have an annoying little habit of changing one flight to economy (without telling you) when you change the other direction on a round trip.
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..
OWs may be safer but would avoid for untaken RTs
Check all the "unchanged" segments and check pricing of new booking.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Kacee
To say that people shouldn't try to change P fares is unsupported and in my opinion wholly unwarranted.
Just to avoid this thread getting derailed to the topic of ticket changing, I did not suggest people should not change P fares. What I said is being taken out of context.

We should refer back to the events reported by the OP, and note that my comment was made in the context of turning up at an airport few hours before departure and having a ground agent make changes to itinerary for same day travel, changes that were (presumably) too complex to be done via SDC. I also never said people should not change fares but that I, personally, would resist that urge to do that (in a situation that cannot be handled by SDC). My emphasis on upgradable or P fares was because they generally have relatively low residual value such that if ticket is screwed on day of travel, one will likely end up in coach as the value of the fare is unlikely to meet the cost of any available day of travel J fare and chances of an upgradable seat will often be low. This is in contradistinction to say a C or D fare which likely will have enough value that one can force their way back into a J seat if the ticket is screwed by an agent on day of travel.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It is, however, "safer".
Yes, for the savvy folks on flyertalk, changes can be made successfully at any time, even minutes before the plane boards, but for the rest of us who lack understanding of the intricacies of fares, fare rules, and flight changing, attempts to manipulate a business fare on day of travel can sure end in misery, as the OP unfortunately experienced...
Old May 5, 2024, 11:36 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

As an 1K member, I do not need to be supervised.
lincolnjkc and NJSwamplands like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jsloan
That, and it will sometimes offer inventory that doesn't actually exist. You only find out when you get to the "Buy now" tab and it errors-out repetitively. I had to check inventory in the "Details" tab to find out that there actually was no inventory in the class offered in the change flight matrix.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 5, 2024 at 5:10 pm
Old May 5, 2024, 3:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
That, and it will sometimes offer inventory that doesn't actually exist. You only find out went you get to "Buy now" tab and it errors-out repetitively. I had to check inventory in the "Details" tab to find out that there actually was no inventory in the class offered in the change flight matrix.
Yes it has issues with married segments and may not check until the purchase
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
As an 1K member, I do not need to be supervised.
Well played but the GS people may differ.
PTahCha and uanj like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k American Platinum select Marriott Titanium Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
What though were you told on those multiple calls? Seems to me there was a problem with the ticket and had either not been ticketed or not ticketed correctly - this could have occurred secondary to a change after the initial purchase. I have seen that after a change was made, such that there is an outstanding balance hanging on the fare and the ticket was essentially locked till either one paid the balance or the fare was downgraded.

The moral of this story to me is not to permit agents mess with one's reservation, unless absolutely necessary, and certainly not to make any changes that require people to 'jump through hoops', as one never knows what one will actually end up with, and we also don't know whether such changes are 'legit' and that one will end with a valid ticket in the preferred cabin and without any further expense. Quite a few reports here of agents tampering with tickets and OP left with undesired outcome; and once the original (often bargain) fare is changed to something else then very hard to get it back.

Particularly on an upgraded or heavily discounted P business fare, I would resist urge to make change to reservation. As an elite you would have been entitled to a straightforward SDC, so the fact that agent intervention was necessary to make this happen, suggests you did not meet criteria for a SDC, so whatever change was made had to have been a complex one (such as if a PP or miles upgrade had been applied, or appropriate fare bucket was not available, or rerouting etc). In such instance I would generally stick with original itinerary, rather than have someone start changing my reservation on day of travel.

This, of course, does not excuse UA's poor response and 5 unanswered emails.
Well the reservations were downgraded so I needed to make contact to have them corrected, it's just sad and disappointing with the lack of correction or work by United. I just always get company lines and no real attempts by most to correct issues. I try to avoid any contact anymore unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks for your follow up.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

I think most of us 1k's fly enough to understand the system than most.
Well, if a United employee states that they are the 1k supervisor at the airport it is not for me to dispute their claim of being in charge.
No misunderstandings, this has nothing to do with stupidity on my part but on Uniteds part. Glad you can blame the victims of United and not the airline.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Actual B-fare, or B-booking code with an underlying discounted economy E+ fare basis (ending in -IN) that we've been able to exploit for YBM-upgrades for close to 2 years since they began filing those E+ fares? If the latter, not surprised at all if that loophole has been shut down finally.
well when many of us seach for a b fare the underlying code is not listed so we don't know what the underlying ........ fare is, so there is nothing to exploit. Don't sell a b fare if the underlying fare code is less. That falls on United basically selling something that is not real. Either correct your system or do it right and don't try to hide behind a bs underlying fare class or code.

Originally Posted by Starbase 1K
I was wondering along similar lines on 1K Voice and two recent 1K call experiences. Finally, just now, I was able to speak with a knowledgeable and capable 1K agent Jodi. I agree with her that there are many new reps and itll take time to train.

i dont think 1K is necessarily plunging. I just think many happen to be getting the new reps who are still learning. I wish them well and we all hope they ramp up quickly. Hah

Id say that if the (new) agent cant meet your needs, thank them for their time and try another agent.

Btw 1K Customer Care, while not a terrible name, is about as weird to the learned as when someone says Polaris Club or Premier Plus. Ha Its all semantics.
Solid advice

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2024 at 9:11 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 5, 2024, 7:38 pm

well when many of us seach for a b fare the underlying code is not listed so we don't know what the underlying ........ fare is, so there is nothing to exploit. Don't sell a b fare if the underlying fare code is less. That falls on United basically selling something that is not real. Either correct your system or do it right and don't try to hide behind a bs underlying fare class or code.
I mean I don't know what to tell you if you think getting a B-booking code for potentially K-fare prices (T-fare in your case) should make you eligible for YBM-upgrades, when the whole point of the YBM program is to provide a benefit to those buying full-economy fares. And there's a link right on the purchase page that will acquaint you with the fare rules and what you're actually purchasing. The fact this doesn't work any longer and your experience would suggest they're doing exactly what you asked though - correcting their system. I have to imagine there's almost zero reason a 1K would be searching a B-booking code over an M-fare for YBM purposes unless it's to exploit a loophole in discounted fare filings that it seems UA has finally decided to address.

SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean I don't know what to tell you if you think getting a B-booking code for potentially K-fare prices (T-fare in your case) should make you eligible for YBM-upgrades, when the whole point of the YBM program is to provide a benefit to those buying full-economy fares.
Your logic isnt wrong, but thats how its worked ever since they introduced those silly differential B fares in the first place unless its changed in the last few weeks, I guess. UAs F product isnt worth the price difference to me, so Ive rarely bought a B fare anyway.

I remain convinced that OP is complaining because there was a brief period where the upgrade code was messed up and was showing that every flight was eligible for an instant upgrade instead of properly checking for PN/PZ space first. During that time, and that time only, a passenger has a legitimate beef that they followed UAs instructions for an upgraded seat and didnt receive it.

If someone is regularly buying B fares to try to show up at the top of the upgrade list, without waiting for PN/PZ availability, Im sure UA appreciates the contribution to their bottom line.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k American Platinum select Marriott Titanium Hilton Gold
I mean I don't know what to tell you if you think getting a B-booking code for potentially K-fare prices (T-fare in your case) should make you eligible for YBM-upgrades, when the whole point of the YBM program is to provide a benefit to those buying full-economy fares. And there's a link right on the purchase page that will acquaint you with the fare rules and what you're actually purchasing. The fact this doesn't work any longer and your experience would suggest they're doing exactly what you asked though - correcting their system. I have to imagine there's almost zero reason a 1K would be searching a B-booking code over an M-fare for YBM purposes unless it's to exploit a loophole in discounted fare filings that it seems UA has finally decided to address.

Not sure what you are talking about, I search for a y, b, m fare and it populates me with a fare class. I don't ask for a discounted bs fare, I ask for a fare class and pay for it. So i'm not sure if you are being condescending or helpful. I book what United gives under it's search and I end up with a B fare which I'm paying for and not expecting anything more that what United offers.

Sounds like your blaming passengers for booking within United's system. Don't book a b fare at k fare prices. Why don't you just call out United for selling a b fare at kfare prices to make an extra buck but treat it like a k fare instead of basically insulting another flyer for playing the game United set forth.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 2024 at 12:09 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 5, 2024, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Sounds like your blaming passengers for booking within United's system. Don't book a b fare at k fare prices. Why don't you just call out United for selling a b fare at kfare prices to make an extra buck but treat it like a k fare instead of basically insulting another flyer for playing the game United set forth.
As more information has come out your situation has become ore clear -- there are three issues at play here and both seemed to have bit you in the you know what... As to the other posters -- they are just trying to help and please remember that it is VERY easy on an internet chat board to misinterpret what someone means -- especially when you are upset with UA....

Issue #1 - Fare class and fare basis are not the same -- this was an issue a while back with UA in particualr with cheap first class fares actually having an economy fare basis -- the issue comes up during IRROPS when the person thought the that they had a first class ticket -- but didn't -- and only get rebooked in Economy...

Issue #2 - Well not really an issue but YMB fares are technically "automatically" upgradeable IF there is upgrade space available -- it is not a given and UA has gotten very stingy with it lately...

Issue #3 -- Display errors -- Sometimes when a reservation is not eligible for upgrade the system will display it as available -- and vice versa. There was a thread today about this where someone's reservation which should be eligible for upgrade was not showing -- it's classic UA IT issues. In their defense UA probably has the best app and tech in the industry -- but it is far from perfect....

I think that based on how the thread started and has come around it may seem like people were being aggressive or dismissive -- trust me they are not -- just trying to help out. Many (most) times threads like these get started we never hear again from the OP -- so I hope you stick around -- you can really learn a ton here about UA -- and all sorts of other travel related things!

Yes - UA can be infuriating to deal with -- and now you know why the UA forum is one of FlyerTalks most active -- not sure we will ever top the BA forum and their issues though!
jsloan, SPN Lifer, ani90 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; May 5, 2024 at 10:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.