Wiki Posts
Search

787 technical issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
787 technical issues

My family and I flew DEN-LHR on April 19 and LHR-DEN on the 27th. Both of our 787 flights were impacted by technical issues, causing a combined 4 hours worth of delays. They didn’t get into the nature of the technical issues, so I’m wondering if they are just being extremely cautious right now with the Dreamliner fleet because of the issues at Boeing, or if there’s more going on. We are a little bit spooked, but we are glad we made it home.

Last edited by jsnearline; Apr 29, 2024 at 4:22 pm
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
They couldn't be impacted by 777 or 767 technical issues if they're operated by 787 equipment.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I've been flying the 787 way more than previous years based on where my business travels are taking me and, whether I've been lucky or not, haven't had any delays due to mechanical.

Chalk to up to bad luck.
jsnearline likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avi8tir
I've been flying the 787 way more than previous years based on where my business travels are taking me and, whether I've been lucky or not, haven't had any delays due to mechanical.

Chalk to up to bad luck.
Yeah, I’ve just had bad luck with my last couple trips on UA. Our most recent trip before this one was impacted by some 777s being removed from service for inspection.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It would be good if a pilot could chip in here: is United erring (however slightly) on the side of caution because of all the recent adverse publicity concerning safety?
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It’s normal. Across my *A flying UA has by far the highest rate of maintenance delays and cancellations, by a wide margin.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by cfischer
It’s normal. Across my *A flying UA has by far the highest rate of maintenance delays and cancellations, by a wide margin.
I have wondered the same thing. In 2018/19, I did a similar amount of back-to-back traveling on UA. On about 150 segments, I only recall a handful, maybe a dozen or two, mechanical delay, one of which resulted in a cancellation. Since October, the rate has much more than doubled.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
They couldn't be impacted by 777 or 767 technical issues if they're operated by 787 equipment.
in theory, they actually could be impacted if a 767 or 777 with technical issues was swapped out for a 787. I wonder if that’s ever actually happened.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It would be good if a pilot could chip in here: is United erring (however slightly) on the side of caution because of all the recent adverse publicity concerning safety?
No. The safety rules and policies, under which we operate, have not changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.