Non-rev standby waitlisted

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Standby waitlisted

REMOVED.

Last edited by jennchl; Mar 29, 2024 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:11 am

Welcome! Your question can best be answered by the employee/retiree who provided you your standby ticket. They would have access to UA availability and standby list position.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: OnePass
You must not be an employee or you would know that ANY revenue pax has a shot at an upgrade before a non-rev
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by jennchl
Hi all,

I'm flying from SFO to FCO in a few days as a non-rev J class. When I checked the seat map, there are 18 open seats and 11 standby on J class. No standby for economy though 12 open seats. I'm #8 on the Polaris list. What are the chances that I can get on J? Do I need to check in or arrive the airport earlier to get higher chance? Or it doesn't matter since it depends on how many upgrades there will be and depends on the seniority? Thank you in advance.
Probably too far in advance to know for sure. It seems like you might be new to non reving. Advice would be to know the dress code. Recently watched a gate agent deny a nonrev J due to flip flops being worn.
SPN Lifer, uanj and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by guaCOmole
You must not be an employee or you would know that ANY revenue pax has a shot at an upgrade before a non-rev
Nope
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Mmmm ... to be fair, I consider deadheading crew to be paying passengers, not non-rev. The difference is that the airline is paying itself for those seats to meet operational and contractual requirements. That's a whole different ball game from a non-rev standby.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by jennchl
I'm flying from SFO to FCO in a few days as a non-rev J class. When I checked the seat map, there are 18 open seats and 11 standby on J class. No standby for economy though 12 open seats. I'm #8 on the Polaris list. What are the chances that I can get on J? Do I need to check in or arrive the airport earlier to get higher chance? Or it doesn't matter since it depends on how many upgrades there will be and depends on the seniority? Thank you in advance.
Welcome to FT!

First, as mentioned: Your sponsor will have DRAMATICALLY more info than us on loads/odds/etc.

Second, please be careful... if the numbers you gave for your positioning on the list came from your sponsors "inside" info... UA will not be happy with it getting put on a public message board.

Third, what I do know (very general) is that you are flying on very long haul route during high demand spring break season.... might want to prepare yourself for flying in Y (economy).

While that is true... its not the case of the OP.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes there is a different between NRSA and NRPS, but the context of this discussion is clearly NRSA, so we can leave NRPS for the other thread or other Positive Space threads.
rmadisonwi and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Many pass riders list themselves rather late. A lot more than last-minute revenue ticket buyers.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Prepare for drastic changes in J seat inventory as well as NRSA listings within T-24 hours. When I flew NRSA, I never assumed I was "safe" until they closed the door . But generally, 2 hours before departure time is a good point to assess your upgrade chances. That's the reality of NRSA travel. It's a worthwhile tradeoff for the freedom to go anywhere you want at the drop of the bag. Good luck and have fun!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:30 pm

Don't go by the seat map. People who fly basic economy don't have assigned seats, so they show up as booked (decreasing an available seat for you as a stand-by pax).

The employee or retiree will know exactly the load, standby list position and upgrade list position.

As somebody else said, standby passengers book late. I've seen standby people book flights during boarding and ask the agent to get checked in at the gate.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Please speak to the person who is providing you with travel benefits for details on flight loads. If you are a new employee with travel benefits, go to the company intranet and look for employee travel to obtain the information. NEVER go by what you see in a seat map, it is meaningless for a non-rev.
SPN Lifer and jsloan like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:08 am

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
[unnecessarily unwelcoming comments removed by moderator] There are so many non rev groups on Facebook, you should ask there, or better yet, ask your sponsor.
PS don’t get your sponsor fired.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 29, 2024 at 7:57 am
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:56 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
As this forum is not the place to get the information the OP needs, I shall close this.

l etoile
UA moderator
jennchl and h2oflyboy like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 29, 2024 at 9:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.