Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this the new normal? (lack of seat belt enforcement)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM

1. Preparing for take off
a) Passenger can lie flat in economy section buckled in
b) Small item between seat and passenger’s feet in bulkhead section

2. During flight, when seatbelt light is turned on, only minor turbulence, no flight attendants walking up and down aisles making sure everyone is buckled in

3. Preparing for landing with no turbulence, no flight attendant is seen walking around making sure everyone is buckled in and seats are in upright position
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
And how many flights have you encountered this? Out of the 4,500 daily UA flights.
UA_Flyer, halls120, PATRLR and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
1. Regarding the passenger who was laying down during takeoff, were they laying across all 3 seats? It's possible he/she did this after the FAs did their last walk through.
2. Seat belt on with only light turbulence - we don't know the whole situation. Often the pilots get info that leads them to believe turbulence is ahead. Sometimes you get an over;y-conservative pilot. I would say neither is the normal.
3. Maybe one of the FA's can chime in, what is the procedure if you can't safely prepare the cabin for landing - meaning if the the FAs need to remain seated for their safety until landing.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408
1. Regarding the passenger who was laying down during takeoff, were they laying across all 3 seats? It's possible he/she did this after the FAs did their last walk through.
2. Seat belt on with only light turbulence - we don't know the whole situation. Often the pilots get info that leads them to believe turbulence is ahead. Sometimes you get an over;y-conservative pilot. I would say neither is the normal.
3. Maybe one of the FA's can chime in, what is the procedure if you can't safely prepare the cabin for landing - meaning if the the FAs need to remain seated for their safety until landing.
1. PAX was flat on her back across three seats as flight attendant was walking through. FA just made sure PAX was buckled up under blanket

3. Flight desk did not announce overhead FAs to take their jump seats while preparing cabin for landing
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
1. PAX was flat on her back across three seats as flight attendant was walking through. FA just made sure PAX was buckled up under blanket
I've only seen this allowed with deadheading crew.
PATRLR likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Put on your headphones and zone out, this is not your problem…
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
1. Preparing for take off
a) Passenger can lie flat in economy section buckled in
b) Small item between seat and passenger’s feet in bulkhead section

2. During flight, when seatbelt light is turned on, only minor turbulence, no flight attendants walking up and down aisles making sure everyone is buckled in

3. Preparing for landing with no turbulence, no flight attendant is seen walking around making sure everyone is buckled in and seats are in upright position
1a. I'm not aware of a requirement for the passenger to be in the upright and locked position, just the seat. As long as they aren't posing a hazard to other passengers (e.g. legs sticking into the aisle or unbelted and thus a possible missile) what is the problem/concern?
1b. This is technically a problem but depending on size/shape/color it can be difficult for FAs to see. If it is not likely to turn into a missile -- being secured between seat restraint bar and legs -- and not impeding an evacuation I'm not particularly concerned in the aisle seat and even less concerned in a window. If you think it poses a safety risk, by all means bring it to a FA's attention but otherwise if a FA doesn't see it...

2. The "seatbelt patrol" hasn't really been a thing in a few years so far as I can recall. Occasionally there will be a "seatbelts...seatbelts...seatbelts..." but this is something I certainly don't miss from the old days. If someone is actively getting up there may or may not be a PA reminder

3. Now that FAs are being required to prepare the cabin much earlier in flight the final safety check IME is done as part of the final garbage collection round and the only way you'd notice it is if you or someone around has a not-fully-upright seat or unbuckled
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Put on your headphones and zone out, this is not your problem…
Agreed. And recline your seat and take out your tray table to enjoy one last cocktail.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Not quite the same thing, but I've had quite a few flights recently where there was zero enforcement of seats being up, laptops away, etc for landing. On one flight in particular, the FA's did absolutely nothing (and it was an old 738 with the F recliners that almost end up in your lap which made me uncomfortable thinking about a what-if need to evacuate) that I took pictures and reported them. Between that and seeing FA's with earbuds in / on their phones during flights, I've seen a noticeable decline in attention to safety.
nnn and uanj like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:36 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Not quite the same thing, but I've had quite a few flights recently where there was zero enforcement of seats being up, laptops away, etc for landing. On one flight in particular, the FA's did absolutely nothing (and it was an old 738 with the F recliners that almost end up in your lap which made me uncomfortable thinking about a what-if need to evacuate) that I took pictures and reported them. Between that and seeing FA's with earbuds in / on their phones during flights, I've seen a noticeable decline in attention to safety.
It's funny this thread came up, I have noticed some of these things recently. Last month I watched a passenger place a 15" laptop in the seat pocket before takeoff which the FA seemed not to see despite half of it sticking out. Laptop fell out during takeoff and screen cracked. Thank goodness it missed the passenger's foot which was in a sandal. Have also seen people prepare for take-off at the last minute by fully reclining their seats.

I chalked it up to the strange, non-compliant passenger behavior I've seen which stated during the pandemic. But this year there also seems to be a slight reduction in FAs interest in doing their jobs, whether safety walk throughs or clearing empty glasses during flight. Last international flight from SFO the FAs attitudes were right out of the 90s.
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer and 1KChinito like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:56 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And how many flights have you encountered this? Out of the 4,500 daily UA flights.
[sarcasm]Its 1/4500 but it’s the trend of the decline of safety that’s alarming , don’t you agree? [/sarcasm]

efited for clarity

Last edited by LaserSailor; Mar 29, 2024 at 4:03 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by uanj
I chalked it up to the strange, non-compliant passenger behavior I've seen which stated during the pandemic...
I think what you're seeing is a symptom of a wider "I don't feel like following rules" behavior by people in general. I think we've raised a generation to question all the rules and break them if they don't like them. Not just rules for behavior on an aircraft, everything. There was an article recently in a newspaper that alluded to the fact that passengers are more likely to follow the rules if they understand the reason behind the rule. Obvious problem is that the FAs don't have the time (nor should they have to) explain to some idiot why you need your seat back fully upright or why your tray table can't be down.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Its 1/4500 but it’s the trend of the decline of safety that’s alarming , don’t you agree?
1/4500 is not a trend. And for as long as I been flying there have a few FAs that are not as diligent as most. And that includes regular FT threads on too aggressive FA and too lazy FAs.
So the conclusion of a downward trend is unproven, IMO

All the recent incident have lead folks to speculate there is a trend of something but I have not seem hard data to support such. (the door plug notwithstanding)
The FAA investigation could be about a lot of things that may or may not related.
SPN Lifer, Mr.Nuke, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
1/4500 is not a trend. And for as long as I been flying there have a few FAs that are not as diligent as most. And that includes regular FT threads on too aggressive FA and too lazy FAs.
So the conclusion of a downward trend is unproven, IMO
Agree a handful of anecdotal reports does not support notion of a trend. Enforcement has always been hit or miss. IME you tend to notice over-enforcement when you're the subject, and lack of enforcement when it's someone else getting away with it.
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
I think we've raised a generation to question all the rules and break them if they don't like them.
I don't find it to be generational at all. You're just as likely to see a boomer or Gen X'er exhibiting self-centered behavior.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:26 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Paging Baader-Meinhof phenomenon...
mogi67 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.