Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FAA Ramps Up Oversight of United Airlines After Recent Safety Problems (WSJ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

U.S. air-safety regulators are stepping up scrutiny of following a spate of safety issues in recent weeks. Federal Aviation Administration officials have recently become concerned by a high rate of safety problems in a relatively short period at United, people familiar with the matter said.

The FAA will review some of United’s processes, manuals and facilities in the coming weeks, Sasha Johnson, United’s vice president of corporate safety, wrote in a memo viewed by The Wall Street Journal.
A bit surprised by this, feels like a bit of an overreaction. Nonetheless, the US keeping a very conservative approach to airline safety is good overall

Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:09 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ty97
A bit surprised by this, feels like a bit of an overreaction. Nonetheless, the US keeping a very conservative approach to airline safety is good overall

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/stat...92806323273789
The FAA needs to wake up and fulfil all its responsibilities, including those around safety.

I have no problem seeing them step up oversight of United or any other airline if something just looks remotely possible to be amiss if it concerns safety. That's their job.
SPN Lifer and mnhusker like this.

Last edited by uanj; Mar 22, 2024 at 8:26 pm
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Word I heard was the FAA suspended APDs for the time being, and put a hold on UA putting newly accepted aircraft into revenue service. Apparently the FAA is significantly ramping up oversight of ops and maintenance practices.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
JonNYC tweets the following unconfirmed rumor:

IMO these two parts, if true (very big if at this point) are a step too far.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't think these are about the recent incidents like blowing a runway exit or whatever. I think there's been bigger but less visible issues going on behind the scenes that aren't being addressed that the FAA is unhappy about.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:09 am

FAA Weighs Curbing New Routes for United After Safety Incidents

Bloomberg article (Bloomberg) -- US aviation authorities are considering drastic measures to curb growth at United Airlines Holdings Inc., including preventing the carrier from adding new routes, following a series of safety incidents.

The Federal Aviation Administration has discussed temporary actions it may take with the airline’s leadership in recent days, according to people with knowledge of the matter. In addition to route restrictions, United may be barred from flying paying customers on newly delivered aircraft, said the people, who asked not to be identified describing the closed discussions.

The FAA already is suspending United’s ability to approve and promote pilots to fly different aircraft models, two of the people said.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
This seems to be a massive over-reaction by the FAA directed at a single airline -- or perhaps there is something bigger going on that we do not know about yet...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Thanks a lot, news media…massive overreaction. Good grief.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
This seems to be a massive over-reaction by the FAA directed at a single airline -- or perhaps there is something bigger going on that we do not know about yet...
I was just thinking about the possibility of the something bigger going on idea. Could have been the rationale behind the Kirby safety email as well, since that seemed kind of weird, timing wise.
DJ_Iceman, samplat, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Disagree
ksingh0311, Tack, mnhusker and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
How did you reach this conclusion when the FAA hasn't even publicly stated what they're acting on?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:10 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I certainly trust UA's safety processes more than I trust the FAA. The FAA has neither the technical knowledge nor the manpower to do anything more than hinder and interfere.

If this is true it's a very bad thing for passenger safety. They'll have to attribute personnel away from somewhere else where they may actually be useful.
ContinentalFan and 49penguins like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:31 pm

FAA vs NTSB

“While the FAA is responsible for promulgating rules (e.g., the federal aviation regulations) and enforcing them, the NTSB acts as a neutral arbiter to provide pilots and other airmen with an ostensibly unbiased review of the FAA's enforcement decisions.” https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...nt%20decisions.

Since the FAA both imposes and enforces the rules, maybe there’s an opportunity here for NTSB to lean in, and determine whether UA is truly being lax or whether UA is simply suffering from the mass-media click-bait driven availability heuristic?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:46 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
The FAA's primary imperative is convincing the public that the FAA is doing its job. Shows up in everything from pilot mental health to (re)actions to media hype. This might be something else, but I have sincere doubts.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerNJ
The FAA already is suspending United’s ability to approve and promote pilots to fly different aircraft models, two of the people said.
I just finished recurrent training this morning at TK. New Hire, Captain upgrade, aircraft initial training classes are definitely still happening, the schoolhouse is buzzing right now.

Not sure how confident I would be about the information provided by “two of the people.”
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by clubord; Mar 23, 2024 at 1:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.