Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines "Nepo-Baby" Article

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
United Airlines "Nepo-Baby" Article

I'm guessing this won't go over too well with UA HQ -- Social media is insane - 5.2 Million views???

United Airlines self-proclaimed "Nepo-Baby" brags about free flights and upgradesI

loved the part about breaking UA's dependent rule by becoming his Dads friend -- given how UA treats customers that break rules... I'm wondering how much longer Nepo-baby will be travelling to the Amalfi coast.... Like UA PR doesn't have enough headaches right now....
cruser1 and lsquare like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 18, 2024 at 3:26 pm
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I'm guessing this won't go over too well with UA HQ -- Social media is insane - 5.2 Million views???

United Airlines self-proclaimed "Nepo-Baby" brags about free flights and upgradesI

loved the part about breaking UA's dependent rule by becoming his Dads friend -- given how UA treats customers that break rules... I'm wondering how much longer Nepo-baby will be travelling to the Amalfi coast.... Like UA PR doesn't have enough headaches right now....
Well, it's not going to help that a ton of the details in the article are wrong, or highly misleading. He's talking about his status among pass riders but it comes across like he's GS and getting an upgrade seat that would otherwise have gone to a paying customer.

But, yeah, I can't imagine his father's thrilled that this is getting out. I'm not a pass rider myself, but my understanding is that UA will pull pass privileges for misuse.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, it's not going to help that a ton of the details in the article are wrong, or highly misleading. He's talking about his status among pass riders but it comes across like he's GS and getting an upgrade seat that would otherwise have gone to a paying customer.

But, yeah, I can't imagine his father's thrilled that this is getting out. I'm not a pass rider myself, but my understanding is that UA will pull pass privileges for misuse.
That they’ll all live happily ever after was pretty clear from the story, but it really should have started with “Once upon a time.”
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah, not the most accurate of articles, even considering the source (NY Post). For example:

This means flying standby as much as possible, which maximizes his chances of a complimentary first-class upgrade.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:58 pm

The article describes him as being "savvy". Just not savvy enough to keep his mouth shut and enjoy the perks. Or keep his name out of it. Or his dad's picture.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by kdad
The article describes him as being "savvy". Just not savvy enough to keep his mouth shut and enjoy the perks. Or keep his name out of it. Or his dad's picture.
I always thought these types of perks for employees should be like "Fight Club" -- if you are in it you don't talk about it....
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:40 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
I always thought these types of perks for employees should be like "Fight Club" -- if you are in it you don't talk about it....
One of the most important things for the youth of today is to post it on social media and become some type of "influencer" so no real shock here.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Cringeworthy.

It's unfortunate that this generation will go through this (mortifying) stage of life having permanently documented every moment of it in photo and video via TikTok and other social media. It was much better, in a time not so long ago, that our early 20s went substantially under the radar with few exceptions. I feel for Mr. Crawford of the not-so-distant future!

Though as a (now) 23-year-old he should still qualify as a dependent.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by EWR764
. . . Though as a (now) 23-year-old he should still qualify as a dependent.
He’ll be a nepo-orphan soon.
bmwe92fan, EWR764, st3 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Nothing wrong with adding a child as a primary friend when they age out. Even before, IRRC puts them at same boarding priority as employee.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Cool

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Nothing wrong with adding a child as a primary friend when they age out. Even before, IRRC puts them at same boarding priority as employee.
I'd be happy to hire him as a consultant...tell me where he finds all those positive space upgrades! I can't find any as a lowly 1K trying to use PP

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 2024 at 7:54 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
What a muppet
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
He is flying NRSA, and paying attention to loads…. So NBD he flies on an open Tuesday morning flight to wherever…. And gets is able to list in F (without impacting revenue customers)

I look at it much like Tom S has mentioned: Can be fun to hop on a plane and have lunch in a different city, then fly back.

while I agree, he should have kept his mouth shut, it *could* be an opportunity for UA to demonstrate the value of this employee perk for hiring/retention.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I'd be happy to hire him as a consultant...tell me where he finds all those positive space upgrades! I can't find any as a lowly 1K trying to use PP
Are you willing to show up at the airport, probably midweek and have no idea where you are going this trip? And then on the return take a couple day to find a return flight?

15 minutes of Fame?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 2024 at 8:09 pm Reason: 15 minutes of Fame?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you willing to show up at the airport, probably midweek and have no idea where you are going this trip? And then on the return take a couple day to find a return flight?
Hahaha, you forget that this is FlyerTalk. My answer is, "gladly."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.