Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club and having an unattended guest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold

Today I guested a friend in to the club at C16 ORD due to a delay. He wasn’t eligible for Polaris so I got him into the regular club. A nosy agent heard me mention I was eligible for Polaris and that I’d be heading over there. The agent said he’d have to leave with me.

I said “sure thing”. Got him in. Left for Polaris. Chased me down. I said if I can guest him into Polaris knowing that won’t happen and she turned around in a huff.

sheesh.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The agent was correct. You are not allowed to guest someone into a club and then leave
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I’m missing the point of the post. An agent in the club plagued by overcrowding attempted to enforce an access rule you were attempting to break and, accidentally or not, made her aware of. Good, right?

I’ll admit to doing this with both my wife and son over the years when departing on different flights, but I sure don’t announce that I’m fudging the rules…
SPN Lifer, st3, chavala and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by cfischer
The agent was correct. You are not allowed to guest someone into a club and then leave
Hate that when it happens...they were actually correct!
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
Aye.
This policy applies to pretty much any such lounge, worldwide. The universal requirement is that the inviter remain in the lounge with the invitee/guest: inviter leaves; guest must leave also.

But yeah, I've broken that rule too in the past.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:03 am

cool story
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by cmculp
I’m missing the point of the post. An agent in the club plagued by overcrowding attempted to enforce an access rule you were attempting to break and, accidentally or not, made her aware of. Good, right?

I’ll admit to doing this with both my wife and son over the years when departing on different flights, but I sure don’t announce that I’m fudging the rules…

yup. I learned my lesson. “Shutupayoumouth”!
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Kudos to the club agent. Literally zero seats available in the club yesterday and they had a couple agents in training. Glad they’re setting a solid example of enforcing rules
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by tryathlete
The lesson I hope you learned was to not behave in public as you do in private: here, you assumed a conversation was private despite being easily overheard by others. We've all had a good chuckle or two at behavior in the UA DYKWIA thread that started with that assumption at its core.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:54 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I would go further and say the next stage in that lesson should be to resist the urge to discuss such matters in a public forum. To break the rules and then pronounce in a public forum that one broke the rules and got away with it, may not be a good idea as not unheard of for industry representatives to monitor these forums.

I also would not have directly dared a lounge entry agent in this manner - not implausible to swipe your boarding pass next week and see a red light flash and enquire and find out they are invoking the clause in the terms and conditions that deny access to the lounge for "failure to follow these terms and conditions".
John Darcy likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The word "dragon" as applied to lounge agents refers to their aggressive defense of entry rules. Here, the issue was not disallowing entry, but rather properly reminding the OP that you can't leave a guest in the lounge. So not really following either the thread title or the point of the thread, which seems to be accusing the lounge agent of misconduct when in fact it was OP who was in the wrong here.
jsloan, st3, m.y and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Tough crowd!
ARR72 and VRFast like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
Tough crowd!
Yes, but United cannot win for losing here. We have people (not the OP) complaining about lounge crowding and here is an example of bending the rules completely out of shape to get someone in.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
Tough crowd!
Personally, I think this is rather tame compared to how it could have gone. Haven't seen anything outrageous yet but more a bit of frustration at someone being upset when the UA Club Agent was actually doing the correct thing based on the T&Cs. This could have become much less civil, IMHO, than the comments have been.
BlueZebra likes this.

Last edited by DawgmanOH; Mar 15, 2024 at 9:06 am Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by uanj
Yes, but United cannot win for losing here. We have people (not the OP) complaining about lounge crowding and here is an example of bending the rules completely out of shape to get someone in.
Well, there was no bending of rules to get the guest in. +1 is allowed. The "bending" was OP not asking their guest to leave with them when they headed to Polaris Lounge. This rule seems almost unenforceable absent proclaiming your intent upon entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.