Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you feel safe flying United?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
I feel very safe on United. Safer than on any other carrier. I’ve had a broad array of MX cancellations and a handful of airborne issues requiring a landing in 25 years as a very high velocity traveler. In all cases these operational decisions have been made out of an abundance of caution. UA has true professionals in the sky and on the ground. Their procedures and protocols for safety exist and are followed. Very few airlines can make this claim and stand by it with a huge fleet and across 5600 flights a day.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I definitely feel safe; however, here’s a question for all: would you select seat 30A or 20F in a MAX9?
preference list:

Widebody J, then PE (unless 757 lieflat confirmed)
Narrowbody F
Widebody exit row seat
Widebody aisle E+
Airbii exit row aisle
Airbii E+ aisle
73X exit aisle
73X E+ aisle
E- aisle, unless 90min or less then E+ middle
All other options

Perceived safety has zilch to do with that ordering
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I definitely feel safe; however, here’s a question for all: would you select seat 30A or 20F in a MAX9?
On those rare occasions when I'm in coach, I sit in a single digit aisle seat.
SPN Lifer and DenverBrian like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:23 am

A dozen or so flights with United (I live in Australia) and I would not consider any other carrier for flights across the Pacific or within the US. Only when my required route is not available from United at a reasonable fare do I go to others, eg Delta.

As others are pointing out, the occurrence of aircraft accidents is at an all-time low and loss of life is more likely crossing the street than flying. With any airline.

So I guess my answer to your question is Yes.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by iapetus
Yes, I do feel safe, for reasons that have all been cited above.

One thing that I will add, though, is that I would be even more critical of the media in this regard. Of course, it's their job to keep us informed. But the reason it gets sensationalized is because they know that they can play on people's fear of flying to get more clicks. And as someone married to someone with a fear of flying (and who has passed it on to our children ), the way some of this gets reported does not make our lives easier. At least my wife is brave enough to grab a glass of prosecco and get on board.
I work in the news media and consider myself more knowledgeable of the aviation industry than most people in my newsroom. I think there has been a tremendous amount of interest in aviation safety stories from the public ever since the first MAX grounding and ever since COVID. Those two events together have made people far more interested and anxious about every aspect of air travel. It seems like we're doing a lot more stories about airline mishaps – certainly a lot more than we were five years ago. Are the skies really less safe now? I don't really think so, but my colleagues and our viewers have a lot more interest in it. That includes stories about simple go-arounds at SFO or even medical emergency diversions. Those kinds of events weren't stories then, but they are now.

We spent a lot of airtime covering the tire falling off the 777 at SFO last week, and I think rightfully so – it's sheer luck that tire didn't fall on anyone, and nobody seems to really know yet how it fell off that plane in the first place. On the other hand, I chose not to include the story about the hydraulic failures on the A320 on SFO-MEX or on the 777 out of SYD, because, as far as I could tell, nobody's safety was ever at serious risk. Should I have, just to make that point to our viewers that all the safety design precautions and procedures worked? Maybe. I don't know.

It's always tricky trying to strike the right balance and not seem alarmist because many of these incidents are newsworthy, especially in the backdrop of what appears to be a serious safety and culture problem at Boeing. I made the point in an editorial meeting yesterday that we should be careful of the compounding effect this can have to lump every single incident together and implicate United, Boeing, or whichever party is the target. Some people listened to me; some people looked at me as if I just argued for the legalization of manslaughter.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Sure not good publicity at the very least.....today's NY Post banner headline. JUST PLAN DANGEROUS https://nypost.com
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
I have no problem whatsoever with United, or AA/DL. Dont really have a safety issue with the other US LCCs, just wont use them.
As long as UA requires their FOs to have more than 200 hours experience (Ethiopian Air) and their flight crews can read instruments and handle a simple runaway trim issue (vs letting the computer fly), I'm good.
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I feel as safe flying United as I would any large US airline. Non-crash incidents happen all the time, they simply aren't reported on the news. Check out AV Herald if you want to have a better idea of how often: https://www.avherald.com/. The detail provided is also much better than you're ever going to get from modern news media.
SPN Lifer, uanj and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by txp
I have been trying to avoid UA lately and book DL and AA because of safety concerns. I hope my concerns are unfounded. In fact, I want to be wrong because I actually love UA.
AA and Delta are having many of the same issues. There is a rule that’s always been applicable to aviation. “Aviation rule of thermodynamics, If the heats on someone else it isn’t on you.”
wrp96 and huey_driver like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by txp
even a scary event like AC143, which, thank God. did not cause any fatalities. The blame in both events falls squarely on their respective airlines.
AC143 was a complex event. A lot of factors came together to cause that accident. It's an interesting chain of events for those who are interested in such things.

I would recommend the book Freefall by William & Marilyn Mona Hoffer.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Fully feel safe. Have never had any concerns, but granted I worked for UA in flight ops.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:56 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by LarryJ
AC143 was a complex event. A lot of factors came together to cause that accident. It's an interesting chain of events for those who are interested in such things.

I would recommend the book Freefall by William & Marilyn Mona Hoffer.
I was in Montreal at the time. The CBC reported that it was due to confusion between the metric system and the imperial system. I have no reasons to doubt the CBC coverage on this particular aspect. This can only be the airline's fault. I don't know who else to place the blame on.

This conclusion was corroborated by the findings of the Canadian Board of Inquiry, as I recall.

Thus, if anything similar were to happen to UA -- running out of fuel mid-flight without a leak -- it would be almost impossible to blame anyone else but UA.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by txp
I was in Montreal at the time. The CBC reported that it was due to confusion between the metric system and the imperial system. I have no reasons to doubt the CBC coverage on this particular aspect. This can only be the airline's fault. I don't know who else to place the blame on.

This conclusion was corroborated by the findings of the Canadian Board of Inquiry, as I recall.
No one is denying that played a role, but reducing AC143 to a unit conversion issue is an over-simplification of the many complex factors that interacted to result in the flight running out of fuel. The swiss cheese model is a great metaphor for a reason when it comes to safety events.

Thus, if anything similar were to happen to UA -- running out of fuel mid-flight without a leak -- it would be almost impossible to blame anyone else but UA.
So, for example, if the fuel sensor had a production defect and gave incorrect readings in a niche scenario, leading a pilot to believe they had more fuel then they did, that would still be solely UA's [the airlines] fault?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:12 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
No one is denying that played a role, but reducing AC143 to a unit conversion issue is an over-simplification of the many complex factors that interacted to result in the flight running out of fuel. The swiss cheese model is a great metaphor for a reason when it comes to safety events.
I just read parts of the Board of Inquiry's report. You are correct; the causes are complex. Several cascading factors contributed to the incident, any one of which, had it been addressed, would have been sufficient to avoid what happened.

However, the report makes the following 100% clear: the fault lies 100% with Air Canada. Whether it's the maintenance, the pilots, the communications, or the corporate culture, all of these causes mentioned in the report can be traced back to the airline.

I am only mentioning this to make a broader point: Corporate culture matters a lot in ensuring air safety.

Going back to my original post, I want to reaffirm my hope that United's corporate culture is conducive to safe travel!
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:15 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer

So, for example, if the fuel sensor had a production defect and gave incorrect readings in a niche scenario, leading a pilot to believe they had more fuel then they did, that would still be solely UA's [the airlines] fault?
In that particular instance, and absent any other factors, no, the blame would fall on the fuel sensor manufacturer, not on UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.