Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you feel safe flying United?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by txp
I have been trying to avoid UA lately and book DL and AA because of safety concerns. I hope my concerns are unfounded. In fact, I want to be wrong because I actually love UA.
But doesn't DL and AA fly the same aircraft that have had issues? Unless you are deliberately implying it is not the aircraft, it is UA maintenance.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:41 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I just replaced a smoke detector, which required me to climb a ladder. I incurred more risk in the last hour than I have in the last few years of flying on United.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:45 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
I feel completely safe flying United. I dislike the entire experience from end to end, but no concerns about safety.
I'm more fearful of UA's catering killing me than any mechanical/pilot/maintenance error
Craig6z, airoli, uanj and 14 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: UA MM
Do I feel safe flying UA? Unequivocally yes.

I also believe many of the comparisons to driving are misguided. The real comparison between flying and driving involves inter-city highway travel. I don't have the stats in my back pocket but it's been shown that that type of automobile travel is far safer than the overall vehicle safety stats suggest. Still not in the same ballpark with flying, though.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Zero concerns about flying in UA. As far as I recall, the last major accident with multiple fatalities by any major US commercial airline was the Colgan Air crash in Buffalo in 2009.
And, I wouldn't consider Colgan to have been a "major" US carrier.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
40,000 die in car crashes in the US alone every year, not including serious injuries. As several posters have said, the last multiple fatality air crash in the US was in 2009.

When I sit down on an airplane, I relax.
Boraxo, uanj and threecap like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Bear96
And, I wouldn't consider Colgan to have been a "major" US carrier.
It was Colgan Air dba Continental Connection, so unless you want to caveat "major carrier" as "mainline only", it was still a major-carrier incident in that sense.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
The main reason I fly UA is safety. I've never felt unsafe on a UA flight.
ani90 and notquiteaff like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I fly Lion (Indonesia) a lot. I breathe a sigh of relief when I fly UA.
uanj, choch345, Channel 9 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:32 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by jsloan
This week? Must be an A380.

While cars have also gotten notably safer, the fatality rate for automobile travel -- in the US alone -- hasn't dropped much below 100 / day since the 1940s.
You must mean an A380 in all Y config to reach those numbers, I say in my best black humor voice.

Originally Posted by txp
That's a good point. It seems that these five incidents would not have been reported in the 1980s, when most of the news came from ABC/CBS/NBC and CNN. For aviation to be newsworthy back then, it had to be something major, like a crash.

Back to the current situation, it seems that we are talking about increased access to information rather than increased safety hazards, correct?
It's both the quantity of news inundating us every day and the quality. Poor editing quality like suddenly reporting as a new, major problem every instance of a small maintenance issue which has been occurring on airlines for years. Only now the news cycle has picked up on airline incidents, people are clicking on them, staying longer on those pages and the algorithms are responding by giving us even more of this not-at-the-level-of-news type of news. A badly written article talking about Boeing's problem with the skin peeling on their A350s. There does not seem to be the resources or enough professional interest to get the facts right before the article goes out. And often the incorrect are more sensational pieces which drive more eyeballs and longer reads eliminating the incentive to change any overview process that may exist but does not work well.
jsloan, CJ99 and VAP1611 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
In the last 6 years, I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles all over the world on probably 20 airlines.

I feel safest on US airlines. Yes, the food sucks and the cabin crew are sometimes grouchy, but the FAA is strict and the pilots highly trained.

I recently flew SFO to MNL on UA and my biggest concern was the sundae cart wasn't as good as AA's on DEL to JFK a few months earlier.
nnn, choch345, Channel 9 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by txp
I have been trying to avoid UA lately and book DL and AA because of safety concerns. I hope my concerns are unfounded. In fact, I want to be wrong because I actually love UA.
Just so you know, worldwide over 600 people die a year in accidents with toasters. How was your breakfast? 😉
Dave737 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
At least 3 million people currently die every year in the United States, and approximately ZERO of them die in commercial plane crashes. The incremental risk of death imposed by getting on United plane versus staying on the ground is infinitesimal.
jsloan, nnn and uanj like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
But doesn't DL and AA fly the same aircraft that have had issues? Unless you are deliberately implying it is not the aircraft, it is UA maintenance.
I don't know if we can rule out anything. Hopefully investigations will provide some more insights on any exceptions.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:10 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I feel safer on United than I do walking the streets of Chicago.
SPN Lifer, jiburi, nnn and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.