Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rocky Mountain Region Winter Weather

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Rocky Mountain Region Winter Weather

A severe snow storm across the Denver metro area has potential to cause disruptions to our operation, including flight delays or cancelations. You can view your flight status on the United app under the My United section or at https://united.com/flightstatus We are pleased to offer customers with flexible travel plans to change their flight date or connection city without any extra charges, in line with our travel waiver policy. To review options, visit the My Trips section on the United app or our website and choose "Change Flight" to see the available options.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Scheduled to fly through DEN between 10-11:30am PHL-DEN-SEA. sounds like that will be in the middle of the storm with 4-5in of snow on the ground. 25mph gusts.
I don't know how well DEN operates in a storm, am I pretty much guaranteed a cancellation?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Scheduled to fly through DEN between 10-11:30am PHL-DEN-SEA. sounds like that will be in the middle of the storm with 4-5in of snow on the ground. 25mph gusts.
I don't know how well DEN operates in a storm, am I pretty much guaranteed a cancellation?
DEN operates relatively well in a storm, and that isn't too severe, relatively speaking. I wouldn't expect a cancellation for mainline. You might catch one, but it might be just some delay.
SPN Lifer and eng3 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Shift to another hub. Or, EWR has nonstop flights, which is a quick train ride from PHL; although the morning flight might not be "connectable" due to early departure time.

AS has nonstop flights ex-PHL, but not sure if UA is willing to transfer you onto nonstop flights on AS (or AA).

Bottom line here is there are a lot of options to minimize delays/cancellations. There is no need to go through DEN.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
We were planning to fly through DEN on Thursday morning en route to HI, which seems like not the best time to be flying there. Rebooked through SFO. Didn’t think it was worth the risk…
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:39 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I am DEN based and currently on a trip to the East Coast, scheduled to return Thursday. I change my flight to Wednesday. Checked the weather again this morning and changed it to go home today. if they are even halfway correct, it is going to be a mess in Denver starting Wednesday morning through Friday. I would do everything I can to avoid DEN for the next three days.

Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Even as of this morning, various outlets are saying we could receive either 2 inches or 2 feet of snow. Basically, if the bulk of the moisture arrives earlier on Wednesday, it will be more rain than snow; later, more snow than rain.

Baby Swede was supposed to fly out on a school trip on Thursday morning, but we had to cancel, which I suppose is a good thing.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:51 am
Original Member

Looking at the updates from Weather 5280, it appears to be lower amounts around the airport. However, there is also the element of getting staff to the airport to work the flights as well de-ice. With rain prior to snow it doesn't really give an opportunity to treat the roads first as well. This is also the heavy wet spring snow which will fall.

https://www.weather5280.com/2024/03/...rough-thursday
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by as219
We were planning to fly through DEN on Thursday morning en route to HI, which seems like not the best time to be flying there. Rebooked through SFO. Didn’t think it was worth the risk…
I would have stuck with the nonstop to HI from DEN. The plane would have to get to HI and SFO has seemed to have its own issues this year. In iffy weather at DEN, I would be concerned about the smaller planes to small airports in the West.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A little further down the page is a temperature/precipitation chart...

Based on this, and given how warm it's been the past few days, we'll get falling slush at best (which could potentially cause lots of tree/power line damage), but very little accumulation on the ground--even less on the warm roads.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
A little further down the page is a temperature/precipitation chart...

Based on this, and given how warm it's been the past few days, we'll get falling slush at best (which could potentially cause lots of tree/power line damage), but very little accumulation on the ground--even less on the warm roads.
That's the thing when temps are predicted to be near freezing. A few degrees one wait turns it into rain while a few degrees the other way turns it into snow.

As for my flight, I'll take my chances. It's a family visit they already told me I'm arriving too early and will need to wait at the airport a while to get picked up. Might as well wait in the C1 lounge at DEN
Old Mar 12, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I would have stuck with the nonstop to HI from DEN. The plane would have to get to HI and SFO has seemed to have its own issues this year. In iffy weather at DEN, I would be concerned about the smaller planes to small airports in the West.
Yeah, maybe, but there are more options at SFO to HI than from DEN. I guess I'll know by the end of the week if I blew it or not!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA1K
Supposed to be flying BOI-DEN-IAD Thursday evening and have a really limited window of time, as I have a full work day in BOI and need to get a redeye to DC for some commitments first thing in the morning...trying to get an AS flight to LAX and cut over from there. Last I saw from NWS was anywhere from 6-18" at DEN, so I want to avoid that like the plague.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I would seriously advise anyone to avoid transiting DEN starting tomorrow afternoon through midday Friday.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I’m leaving local DEN tonight instead of Friday morning knowing the backend will still be in recovery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.