Wiki Posts
Search

Debating United vs Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Debating United vs Lufthansa

We’re flying ORD-MLA this summer. There are no nonstops of course, so it seems the choice I have is ORD-FRA-MLA-FRA-ORD on either UA or LH. In either case I buy 016 stock from united.com so I’d at least get the PQF and PQP. If I buy the transatlantic segments on LH, it’s about $300 per person less but a) the outbound connection is only 95 mins in FRA, b) I get to fly a 748, which would be a new airplane for me, and I love the 747, and c) I don’t think LH has an economy plus equivalent and for a 8-9 hour flight I think I’d really want that. Plus I’d have to pay for seat selection.

have I got the basic facts straight? I have only flown LH once, but it was in 2007 in J and I don’t remember it well anyway. I am leaning to spending the extra money to go on UA metal for economy plus. Is LH a markedly better experience otherwise? What would you do?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
We’re flying ORD-MLA this summer. There are no nonstops of course, so it seems the choice I have is ORD-FRA-MLA-FRA-ORD on either UA or LH. In either case I buy 016 stock from united.com so I’d at least get the PQF and PQP. If I buy the transatlantic segments on LH, it’s about $300 per person less but a) the outbound connection is only 95 mins in FRA, b) I get to fly a 748, which would be a new airplane for me, and I love the 747, and c) I don’t think LH has an economy plus equivalent and for a 8-9 hour flight I think I’d really want that. Plus I’d have to pay for seat selection.

have I got the basic facts straight? I have only flown LH once, but it was in 2007 in J and I don’t remember it well anyway. I am leaning to spending the extra money to go on UA metal for economy plus. Is LH a markedly better experience otherwise? What would you do?
Take United as far as you can. Lufthansa is unreliable this year due to strikes. Booking on 016 is recommended as you’ll at least get a timely refund if Lufthansa cancels.

I’d also consider connecting through ZRH and using LX instead of LH for your European connection. Correct, LH doesn’t have an Economy Plus equivalent.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Avoid LH in Y like the plague.

UA in E+ as far as possible is better.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sannmann
Lufthansa is unreliable this year due to strikes.
Are those airline or airport strikes? LH was hit hard with the airport strikes just because of where their hubs are, but all airlines had the same issues with those airports.
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are those airline or airport strikes? LH was hit hard with the airport strikes just because of where their hubs are, but all airlines had the same issues with those airports.
both. Actually right now it is mostly LH personnel striking.
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hmm, ITA shows an available routing on LX but United’s website doesn’t show it. I guess LX isn’t making the seats available from United?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I love the 747 as well, and very much enjoy flying LH's 748.

However, LH has had numerous strikes this year the union for their ground handling staff (ver.di) with short notice. Earlier this week, the LH cabin crew voted to authorize a strike as well, though no dates are set on that. At the moment, there is every reason to believe the strikes will continue.

When the strikes do get announced, getting help from LH is not the easiest based on the LH forum (long hold times, IT that theoretically should let you self-service but often doesn't work).

If you book LH, I would recommend booking via United as an 016 ticket. That way if a strike does get announced, you are able to contact UA (rather than LH) to get it sorted.
SPN Lifer and vicontt like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Hmm, ITA shows an available routing on LX but United’s website doesn’t show it. I guess LX isn’t making the seats available from United?
Search for the routing on Google Flights and see if you get an option to book it via United (sometimes you will, sometimes you won't, sometimes, the price on United will be the same, sometimes more).
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:35 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I booked LHR - ZRH - LHR last fall, directly with Swiss. But I gave them my United FF number and did get some credit. Miles, PQP and PQF.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WheelsUpGal; Mar 8, 2024 at 7:45 pm
Old Mar 8, 2024, 7:56 pm

Try using the multiple destination search function if using United.com
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sannmann
Try using the multiple destination search function if using United.com
Nope, that shows the same flights - all UA and LH.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:05 pm

Nope, that shows the same flights - all UA and LH.
Are you searching ORD-ZRH//ZRH-MLA and vv?
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might have to call to book the LX flights.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

All right, thanks all. I’m happy sticking with UA metal. But another question: I went to book it. If I book it as a round trip ORD-MLA-ORD with stopovers in FRA, it shows premium plus is unavailable for the outbound ORD-FRA leg. But if I book multi city ORD-FRA, FRA-MLA, MLA-FRA, and FRA-ORD, it shows premium plus available on the outbound ORD-FRA leg. But when I finish selecting flights, after selecting the fourth flight FRA-ORD, it thinks for a minute and then just says “Choose another option” and doesn’t let me book it.

Why would this be?
Old Mar 9, 2024, 11:19 am

All right, thanks all. I’m happy sticking with UA metal. But another question: I went to book it. If I book it as a round trip ORD-MLA-ORD with stopovers in FRA, it shows premium plus is unavailable for the outbound ORD-FRA leg. But if I book multi city ORD-FRA, FRA-MLA, MLA-FRA, and FRA-ORD, it shows premium plus available on the outbound ORD-FRA leg. But when I finish selecting flights, after selecting the fourth flight FRA-ORD, it thinks for a minute and then just says “Choose another option” and doesn’t let me book it.

Why would this be?
Sounds like United doesn’t file a Premium Plus fare on ORD-MLA. The way to circumvent this is to book as multi-city as you did. You may need to call. What fare class are your segments showing up as?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.