Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: German Industrial Action FRA/MUC Strike 6-8 March 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

German Industrial Action

If your flight is affected, here are your options:
  • You can reschedule your trip and we’ll waive change fees and fare differences. But, your new flight must be a United flight departing between March 4, 2024 and March 13, 2024. Tickets must be in the same cabin and between the same cities as originally booked.

Travel alerts | United Airlines
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
Does it make sense to switch from a LH flight booked through UA to a flight on UA metal on the same day (March 7)? Or will United's flights also be canceled?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: United, Southwest
The AIRPORTS are affected. Not just LH.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
The AIRPORTS are affected. Not just LH.
So what does this waiver accomplish? It allows me to depart before or after the strike? Not great. They should let me fly into ZRH on UA and then I can bus to Munich on my own dime.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jimmysilvs
So what does this waiver accomplish? It allows me to depart before or after the strike? Not great. They should let me fly into ZRH on UA and then I can bus to Munich on my own dime.
If going beyond FRA/MUC, rerouting via ZRH is a viable option
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unfortunately, MUC is my final destination.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 4, 2024 at 9:59 am
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Unfortunately, MUC is my final destination.
The industrial actions do not close the airport but leads to slowdowns and some flight consolidations. So if MUC is your non-stop destination and you have a little time buffer, there is probably no need to change
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
3.5 hour train ride from ZRH to Munich HbH
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
United isn't offering a free change for ZRH. They want almost $2-3,000pp. Changing to UA operated flights to MUC shows as $0, but this doesn't accomplish anything as their flights will be impacted by the ground staff strike in the same way my direct flight on LH will be. I checked Flightaware for IAD-MUC and EWR-MUC, which were both canceled during the last two strikes.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:16 am

Waiver says new Flight must be a United Flight. So unless you do something like ORD - ZRH - EWR it'll be difficult to connect ua to ua in ZRH.
Is UA considering code share a United Flight in this case?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
Germany trains are going on strike Thursday at 2am for 35 hours.

Not sure if Swiss trains will be running to Munich?

German train drivers' union announces renewed strike (yahoo.com)
Old Mar 4, 2024, 11:16 am

United isn't offering a free change for ZRH. ...
While not sure UA would change the destination to ZRH (at this time), self service on the app is not necessarily the best way to check that. You are not rerouting but changing destinations -- that needs a call .

However as mentioned, if MUC is your destination and since the airport is NOT closing, I would not make any changes (unless UA cancels and then a number of new options will become available - such as the ZRH for free).

I might avoid connecting in MUC but not travel to MUC. Sometimes being over pro-active is not the right approach.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 11:48 am

While not sure UA would change the destination to ZRH (at this time), self service on the app is not necessarily the best way to check that. You are not rerouting but changing destinations -- that needs a call .

However as mentioned, if MUC is your destination and since the airport is NOT closing, I would not make any changes (unless UA cancels and then a number of new options will become available - such as the ZRH for free).

I might avoid connecting in MUC but not travel to MUC. Sometimes being over pro-active is not the right approach.
Welp, they just canceled the BOS-MUC flights for 3/6 and 3/7.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by STARAFlyingPenguins
Waiver says new Flight must be a United Flight. So unless you do something like ORD - ZRH - EWR it'll be difficult to connect ua to ua in ZRH.
Is UA considering code share a United Flight in this case?
The last time this happened to me I was on a SEA-DEN-MUC UA flight. I called to see if I could fly SEA-ORD-ZRH on UA, and take the train to MUC on my own dime. No dice, said UA, you have to leave earlier or later and land in MUC, which is ridiculous. I offer to become one less passenger they have to rebook if my original flight is cancelled, and they say no. Unbelievable.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:29 pm

Has anyone heard for sure if UA operated flights are impacted by this? I can't get an answer out of customer service and want to confirm before changing my LH operated flight (codeshare w/UA) and basically giving up EU261 protection.

IAD-MUC flew daily through the last strike Feb 18 https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...108/history/80
ORD-MUC was canceled that day https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...009Z/KORD/EDDM
DEN-MUC flew https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL182/history
One of the two IAD-FRA flights was canceled https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...315Z/KIAD/EDDF

Looks like EWR-MUC didn't start (on the current flight number at least) until Feb 15th.

Air Canada from YYZ was canceled (also has LH as handling agent) https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...040Z/CYYZ/EDDM

Last edited by jimmysilvs; Mar 4, 2024 at 2:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.