Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United trying to walk me to death? (Will UA depature from LAX TBIT?)

Is United trying to walk me to death? (Will UA depature from LAX TBIT?)

Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
Posts: 84
Is United trying to walk me to death? (Will UA depature from LAX TBIT?)

Last time I flew into ORD terminal 5 we had to walk from them very end of the terminal to catch the tram. Then when we got to Terminal 1 we had to walk to the very end of the terminal.
This time we are flying from MKE-ORD-LAX-AKL. For months we were to land in LAX terminal 7 and depart from terminal 7. We would have lots of time and planned on stopping in the UC in terminal 7. All good.
Today we are supposed to depart from TBIT. As far as I can see we will have to walk all the way. That looks like a LONG way. We are in our 70's and with more than a few walking issues. I have watched several YouTube videos and none show anything other than walking. All the terminal maps that I have looked at don't have any kind of Airside trams or busses or anything. If I have to walk all the way tomorrow it will take me till next week.
Will there be anything there to help old people out?
dm6214 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:36 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 14,635
Is your LAX-AKL operated by Air New Zealand? The United flight should depart from Terminal 7. (Today's UA642 is assigned Gate 77 at the moment.)

It is about 2km via a somewhat convoluted path to walk from T7 to TBIT while remaining airside, and there is no motorized option accessible to the general public. I don't know what accessibility options might be available, although the traditional airside corridor involves multiple level changes.

The distance is significantly shorter landside, and you would have access to buses which go between all of the terminals. However, this would require clearing security again.
dm6214 likes this.
findark is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:38 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,914
Originally Posted by dm6214
Will there be anything there to help old people out?
There's an inter-terminal shuttle. https://www.flylax.com/inter-terminal-connections. I believe it departs from the arrivals level (downstairs, outside baggage claim). The signage at LAX is not very good, unfortunately, and traffic in the loop can be heavy, so it may take up to half an hour to make it around from T7 to TBIT.

If you choose to walk, it's about a mile and takes around 20 minutes at a normal pace.
dm6214 likes this.
Kacee is online now  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:41 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FLL, MEL, SIN, WAS
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Posts: 12,464
Originally Posted by dm6214
Last time I flew into ORD terminal 5 we had to walk from them very end of the terminal to catch the tram. Then when we got to Terminal 1 we had to walk to the very end of the terminal.
This time we are flying from MKE-ORD-LAX-AKL. For months we were to land in LAX terminal 7 and depart from terminal 7. We would have lots of time and planned on stopping in the UC in terminal 7. All good.
Today we are supposed to depart from TBIT. As far as I can see we will have to walk all the way. That looks like a LONG way. We are in our 70's and with more than a few walking issues. I have watched several YouTube videos and none show anything other than walking. All the terminal maps that I have looked at don't have any kind of Airside trams or busses or anything. If I have to walk all the way tomorrow it will take me till next week.
Will there be anything there to help old people out?
Love the title of this thread.

I highly recommend you get wheelchair service. Have them wheel both of you from T7 to TBIT. There is a *G lounge at TBIT so there is no need to stay in T7 to use the United Club.
Sometimes there are gate changes, so keep an eye on it, in case they change the departure gate back to T7.

Good luck and have a good trip.
uanj, dm6214 and Milwaukee like this.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:44 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 23,327
Does UA have anything equivalent to DL Porsches? https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...11-gt3-rs-lax/
As already noted above, unless OP is on the AirNZ codeshare flight, the UA metal flight is schedule to depart from gate 77.
xliioper is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:53 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 15,157
Originally Posted by xliioper
Does UA have anything equivalent to DL Porsches? https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...11-gt3-rs-lax/
As already noted above, unless OP is on the AirNZ codeshare flight, the UA metal flight is schedule to depart from gate 77.
GS (and very occasionally 1Ks) can be offered Jaguar service, but its not requestable. The wheelchair service (if TBIT is involved) is the way to go because it would stay airside (there are elevators for level changes although most dont use them).
1KChinito likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 26, 2024 at 8:08 am
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:57 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,914
Originally Posted by findark
I don't know what accessibility options might be available, although the traditional airside corridor involves multiple level changes.
Yeah, I'm not sure how wheelchair service would work given the circuitous route with multiple level changes. You couldn't do it in a golf cart. Perhaps there is another route not accessible to the public (for example a tarmac transfer).
ContinentalFan and dm6214 like this.
Kacee is online now  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:22 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 3,969
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's an inter-terminal shuttle. https://www.flylax.com/inter-terminal-connections
If you go to the link that Kacee posted, then select "Pedestrian Access", it shows the complete path that you can take to get between terminals without going through security. You have to go from T7 to T6 (halfway down the terminal), then down to L1 and across to T4, then up to L5 and over to TBIT.
1KChinito likes this.
tods27 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:26 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 14,635
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah, I'm not sure how wheelchair service would work given the circuitous route with multiple level changes. You couldn't do it in a golf cart. Perhaps there is another route not accessible to the public (for example a tarmac transfer).
Right - my thought was that the usual long-distance option is the carts, which can't get to TBIT airside. Would either need a non-public corridor or someone physically pushing a wheelchair that distance, which would be quite a lot.
dm6214 likes this.
findark is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:34 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by findark
Is your LAX-AKL operated by Air New Zealand? The United flight should depart from Terminal 7. (Today's UA642 is assigned Gate 77 at the moment.)

It is about 2km via a somewhat convoluted path to walk from T7 to TBIT while remaining airside, and there is no motorized option accessible to the general public. I don't know what accessibility options might be available, although the traditional airside corridor involves multiple level changes.

The distance is significantly shorter landside, and you would have access to buses which go between all of the terminals. However, this would require clearing security again.
No it is with United Metal. I had been watching where UA 642 left from for months. It was always terminal 7. And today because it was me it changed. They hate me. I have a very bad back which they just did a epidural and 7 weeks ago they repaired a torn meniscuses. My wife had a total knee replacement several months ago. Getting old isn't for sissies.
dm6214 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:40 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 3,969
Originally Posted by dm6214
No it is with United Metal. I had been watching where UA 642 left from for months. It was always terminal 7. And today because it was me it changed. They hate me. I have a very bad back which they just did a epidural and 7 weeks ago they repaired a torn meniscuses. My wife had a total knee replacement several months ago. Getting old isn't for sissies.
Really strange that it shows as TBIT for tomorrow's flight. From the UA app, it says the plane comes in from MEL at 6:45AM, then leaving from TBIT to AKL at 9:00 PM. I'm wondering if this will change as I can't imagine they will leave the plane at TBIT all day, and if you are going to tow it somewhere, why not have it end up at T7.
dm6214 likes this.
tods27 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:41 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
Posts: 84
Who designed this place, the Flintstones? Last time I was there must have been 30 years ago maybe more. Do they honestly think that people in their 70's and 80's and more can walk that far?
cyborg likes this.
dm6214 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:44 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 14,635
Originally Posted by tods27
Really strange that it shows as TBIT for tomorrow's flight. From the UA app, it says the plane comes in from MEL at 6:45AM, then leaving from TBIT to AKL at 9:00 PM. I'm wondering if this will change as I can't imagine they will leave the plane at TBIT all day, and if you are going to tow it somewhere, why not have it end up at T7.
I agree - standard to arrive TBIT in the morning and tow away. My guess is departure gate is not assigned and it just shows planned arrival of the inbound. I don't believe UA ever departs from TBIT at LAX.
ContinentalFan, wrp96 and dm6214 like this.
findark is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:04 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,807
Originally Posted by dm6214
Do they honestly think that people in their 70's and 80's and more can walk that far?
No -- they honestly think that people in their 70s and 80s and more can take the land-side bus and re-clear security.

Originally Posted by findark
My guess is departure gate is not assigned and it just shows planned arrival of the inbound. I don't believe UA ever departs from TBIT at LAX.
I agree. It would be a logistical nightmare for them, as they don't have a counter in TBIT for LAX-originating passengers.

OP: I suspect you'll find that your departure is from T7 after they tow your plane from TBIT.
SPN Lifer, hirohito888 and dm6214 like this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:07 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere
Programs: Delta Plat
Posts: 3,395
I thought landing at B36 or higher at T4 in JFK was bad.
HWGeeks is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.