Wiki Posts
Search

From 1K to Gold - An Accomplishment?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

From 1K to Gold - An Accomplishment?

Warning : Rant ( albeit a short one )

Recently I got a letter from UA, signed by Kirby, congratulating me for the accomplishment to have reached Gold level. It
also encouraged me to try harder to get to the next level.

I am confused.

This downgrade is hardly an accomplishment. I have been 1K for the past 17 years. But my flights are primarily between SE
Asia, Tokyo and HNL. Sadly UA no longer offers direct flights there from and to HNL and no more Intra Asian flights out of Tokyo.
So I am a very, very infrequent UA flyer now and the only reason that I am at the Gold level is because I flew more than a 1mm
miles on UA metal.

I wish UA would rely less on AI but rather check facts before sending out senseless communication.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Making gold is an accomplishment under the new rules. Regardless of what you've previously done.

There's no AI here.
moondog, Kannai and AJNEDC like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mduell
There's no AI here.
More like AS.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Similar situation, long-time 1K but didn't make it this (probably won't ever again). I qualified as Platinum but as a 2MM I got that anyways. I agree, would it have killed them to spend five minutes on a "shucks you didn't make it but try harder" message rather than the plain vanilla "congratulations" message?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You could have dropped to Silver or general member, you earned Gold ... that was the accomplishment. You may not consider Gold an accomplishment but UA and others do.

Would you have preferred a letter stating ... too bad, you did not spend enough and UA knocked you down to Gold

And this is hardly AI, this is a letter that when to all Golds --- very, very simplistic (positive reinforcement) marketing.

Originally Posted by LimeySD
... would it have killed them to spend five minutes on a "shucks you didn't make it but try harder" message ...
"try harder" ...
That would have been received well (by no one)
And comments on FT toward "try harder" would have been quite harsh, deservedly so.
Eviscerated is a thought that comes to mind
moondog, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 5 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2024 at 2:56 pm Reason: eviscerated
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I received same and found it amusing. Particularly since I'll never drop below Gold as a 1MM.
Kannai and Live4Upgrades like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dropping 1K to Gold is an accomplishment: you spent at least $10k less on inferior service. 😜
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I received same and found it amusing. Particularly since I'll never drop below Gold as a 1MM.
Exactly my situation as well as I was saying. No 1MM, no Gold. Haven't stepped on a UA plane in years. And probably will not again
for the foreseeable future. Enjoying much superior conditions with Asian carriers. Less money as well, even in Bz.

p.s. don't say "never". With UA that's not written in stone as we know from the past.

Originally Posted by fumje
Dropping 1K to Gold is an accomplishment: you spent at least $10k less on inferior service. 😜
Thankfully not. 1MM = Gold ( at least for now )
worldwidedreamer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2024 at 4:35 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Thankfully not. 1MM = Gold ( at least for now )
Yes, that would make it more than $10k less, eh?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I don’t think it would hurt UA (to much) to throw the long term high mileage people an incentive. I know what a laugh.. Maybe a discount on club membership? Then again I could fly AA - gak!
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
Yes, that would make it more than $10k less, eh?
Missed the underlying irony.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So is this the first year UA has sent this particular message?

Indicative of an unusual number of status drops following implementation of significantly higher thresholds?

As far as incentives to do better this year, if anyone at UA seriously believes they've done anything over the past 14 months that will encourage me to direct spend back to UA, they need to put down the kool-aid and take a strong dose of reality check.
Boraxo and Rock214 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So is this the first year UA has sent this particular message?.....
No, status level letters have been common for (5+?) years

Learn all about your exclusive Premier benefits.

Congratulations on achieving MileagePlus® Premier® Platinum status, WineCountryUA! A world of wonder awaits you every time you fly United. Watch your personalized welcome video to learn about all the perks of Premier Platinum status.

You can also visit mystatus.united.com anytime for a complete overview of your Premier status benefits, to track your activity and find personalized offers from our partners. Looking for your digital membership card? You'll find it in the passes and subscriptions section of the United app.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2024 at 4:46 pm Reason: removed personalized links
Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:27 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You could have dropped to Silver or general member, you earned Gold ... that was the accomplishment. You may not consider Gold an accomplishment but UA and others do.

Would you have preferred a letter stating ... too bad, you did not spend enough and UA knocked you down to Gold

And this is hardly AI, this is a letter that when to all Golds --- very, very simplistic (positive reinforcement) marketing.

"try harder" ...
That would have been received well (by no one)
And comments on FT toward "try harder" would have been quite harsh, deservedly so.
Eviscerated is a thought that comes to mind
Didn't the OP says that they were a million miler and therefore couldn't have dropped to silver?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:28 pm

Yeah, I laughed when I read my letter for that very reason,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.