Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites)

While it had appeared to be true, it has been unclear for some time if the improved award available for MP branded credit cards was intentional or would continue -- however in May 2017, UA started posting in award searches for credit card holders
Quote:
Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier® member and MileagePlus Chase Cardmember
so this appears to be intentional
Appears to apply to all present and legacy MileagePlus branded cards
Provides better available is for JN, YN, XN (FN?) BUT not IN

Previous threads
Checking for award booking - something new? noting expanded inventory for elites & CC
Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.
Print Wikipost

Better award availability with United credit cards (as well as elites) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

I have been wondering this for a while now. I currently own a United Explorer Card but would be getting rid of it soon. Will this make the award availability harder for me while searching on United.com? Or to be more general, does it really affect the award availability if you own or not own a United credit card?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Yes, you can book into XN with the Explorer card. Without it, unless you're an elite, you can only book into X.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GregMM
Yes, you can book into XN with the Explorer card. Without it, unless you're an elite, you can only book into X.
Thanks for the reply. I am sorry but what is "XN"?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:24 pm

XN is economy award class supposed to be for elite members only, but for some reason, it is also made available to credit card holders. Currently offers better economy availability for cardholders, however, this could disappear anytime as it is not an official benefit of the card
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
XN is economy award class supposed to be for elite members only, but for some reason, it is also made available to credit card holders. Currently offers better economy availability for cardholders, however, this could disappear anytime as it is not an official benefit of the card
Thanks for that information.

I just wanted to ask one more thing. Where can I see if its 'x' or 'xn' fare class while booking an award travel? I am trying to check it out myself to be sure.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by somy
I just wanted to ask one more thing. Where can I see if its 'x' or 'xn' fare class while booking an award travel? I am trying to check it out myself to be sure.
Log in to united.com with expert mode enabled and you can look for availability of fare classes (including X and XN) by doing a regular revenue flight search and clicking on fare classes.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by somy
I have been wondering this for a while now. I currently own a United Explorer Card but would be getting rid of it soon. Will this make the award availability harder for me while searching on United.com? Or to be more general, does it really affect the award availability if you own or not own a United credit card?
One other thing I also noticed is that the credit card holders need lower miles for hotel redemptions, even when compared to elites...
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by MK19791980
One other thing I also noticed is that the credit card holders need lower miles for hotel redemptions
Interesting, I haven't seen that. I just checked the T&C and they do in fact say this:

Certain Members may receive preferential pricing.

even when compared to elites...
Well, that is all that you can compare to, because only card holders and elites are eligible for hotel redemptions.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:48 pm

Do you need to call to get this? Otherwise how can you do this online? How would the website know you have this card?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: United 1k
I believe your credit card is always tied to your MileagePlus number somehow, so when you log in to redeem miles for hotel stays, determination can be made if you're a card number or not.

The same thing happens with AA and DL as well in my experience
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:18 pm

You give Chase your MP# when you apply, so they know where to credit the miles and other benefits.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta SM, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis First
This 'benefit' must not be well known within UA. I called to change a segment which was showing availability online for 2 pax, and the agent could only see 1 seat (Club card holder w/ no status, I didn't even think to check X vs. XN availability).

I was transferred to IT and got the same result. While waiting on hold, I check in expert mode, and sure enough, XN6, X1 - there was only 1 X seat, but lots of XN. I decided to bail on the call, hoping the IT gods didn't kill my XN benefit, but she came back and said she made the change but that 'there was only 1 seat available'...
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
And does the XN designation then mean that you qualify for a CPU? I see XN on my record...but it does not say "CPU requested" or anything like that?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by auggie doggie
And does the XN designation then mean that you qualify for a CPU? I see XN on my record...but it does not say "CPU requested" or anything like that?
No, award upgrade eligibility is internal coding we can't see. But the flights, once ticketed, should say "CPU Eligible" if it is in fact a CPU eligible flight. Did you pay the taxes/fees with your Explorer Card?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
No, award upgrade eligibility is internal coding we can't see. But the flights, once ticketed, should say "CPU Eligible" if it is in fact a CPU eligible flight. Did you pay the taxes/fees with your Explorer Card?
Yes. Made it a point to pay for it with my UA Club card. Will call and find out why it does not say that. Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.