Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Significant restriction on PlusPoint use? UA Glitch / Browser glitch? - resolved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Significant restriction on PlusPoint use? UA Glitch / Browser glitch? - resolved

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO

I have 8 pending trips. The involve trips to IAD, IAH, SFO and SJU from various places. Looking at PlusPoints upgrades, the only time even waitlist upgrades appear are on flights where they would be of little use (like ABQ-DEN). Has anyone else noticed an inability to even waitlist for PlusPoints upgrades?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
The only restrictions I've found is when on a single cabin plane or a plane with no PP (if I wanted to waitlist for both). They don't account for potential equipment swaps in the future.

Did you try contacting customer service in to apply the PP?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eng3
Did you try contacting customer service in to apply the PP?
Not yet. It's weird that it's not available on united.com
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Just to cover all of the bases, are they basic economy tickets?

When you go to the upgrade section of the reservation, does it say the use of PlusPoints is not available? What about miles? Cash (buy up) offers?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:33 am

These are regular paid tickets, not award tickets, right?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Regular economy ticket. There's also no mileage upgrades - only cash.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IMRU
Regular economy ticket. There's also no mileage upgrades - only cash.
Interesting that they are offering cash upgrades, I was going to say perhaps all upgrades seats were already sold but not the case obviously. Nothing surprises me any more and perhaps this is why they have now been sending me numerous emails to upgrade from plat to 1K for $12K. I didn't even attempt to extend my expiring PPs, they are, as Michael Corleone says, "dead to me".
Kannai likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And your plus points have not expired? Logged into your account? Sounds like you're just going to have to call.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone else noticed an inability to even waitlist for PlusPoints upgrades?
Since I don't think anybody has actually answered this: No, I just checked and I am not having any problems waitlisting for upgrades.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have 8 pending trips. The involve trips to IAD, IAH, SFO and SJU from various places. Looking at PlusPoints upgrades, the only time even waitlist upgrades appear are on flights where they would be of little use (like ABQ-DEN). Has anyone else noticed an inability to even waitlist for PlusPoints upgrades?
Please provide specific examples.

What is the specific message you are seeing? A screen shot may be the easiest way to demonstrate.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Sure. Here are two examples.

Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
How about when you click on "Miles"? And you do have PlusPoints in your account currently?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Maybe try logging in again?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Strange, if I read it correctly it does indeed appear that seats are available for cash obviously.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:49 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I actually experienced this the other day. As I would not apply PlusPoints to the specific reservation it did not concern me.

My only options were cash and miles for the upgrades.

I am wondering if I may not have been logged in ss the miles had a copay that was unusual for me (but there may have been international leg but the copay was $25 which was low) but in the end just closed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.