Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rumor: United consider building a new hub in the South?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

I woke up this morning (on a UA transpac flight) and saw on X and other social medias reporting UA is considering a new hub in the south.

Many speculated it could be a city in Florida.

Although I love to see it, I have my doubts.

Yes, people are moving to Florida at fast pace but that reflects the increasing aging population and remote working arrangements.

What do you all think?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
FLL? But just more frequencies? Hub down there doesn't make sense unless Central/South America traffic. Or maybe FLL w/ a lot of Caribbean destinations?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You saw it on social media? That pretty much sums up the accuracy.

I have a feeling they're conflating "new hub" with the long-rumoured "new corporate headquarters".
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You saw it on social media? That pretty much sums up the accuracy.

I have a feeling they're conflating "new hub" with the long-rumoured "new corporate headquarters".
Florida seems out of the way for a UA headquarters. Maybe Houston? But I can see Kirby thinking of where he'd want a home - and Houston probably ain't it.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Florida seems out of the way for a UA headquarters.
I never said anything about Florida - the OP did. The old rumour is about moving HQ from Chicago to Houston.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Probably Southeeast…

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I woke up this morning (on a UA transpac flight) and saw on X and other social medias reporting UA is considering a new hub in the south.

Many speculated it could be a city in Florida.

Although I love to see it, I have my doubts.

Yes, people are moving to Florida at fast pace but that reflects the increasing aging population and remote working arrangements.

What do you all think?
Anything but Chicago! Maybe somewhere in the Southeast?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Silver
I'd take anything from "View from the Wing" with a grain of salt, but xJonNYC is the one who initially brought it up so there might be at least some credibility.
UA does fly their shiny A321neo to MCO (among other FL airports) and they do have a broom closet of a United Club there so there's a chance it becomes a focus city maybe?
Rumors are fun lol
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:25 am

United also recently opened a maintenance hub in TPA.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by worldtrav
United also recently opened a maintenance hub in TPA.
United does maintenance at a lot of line stations - PDX, HNL, SEA, etc. None, IMO, hub or corporate HQ candidates.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I think there might be some credence to it -- I suspect with some of the migration and growth in FL you have a catchment profile that is looking a lot more attractive than it used to given the growth in the area.

If true MCO/FLL/TPA would all be candidates but I think TPA would be in the lead - between airport set-up, capacity, regional economics and business tilt. But I still am pretty skeptical about it. There's a ton of O&D coverage into these destinations and it feels a little bit like Boston or San Diego where you'll end up in a knife fight because you can't generate any advantage from hub/spoke given the geography. And DL seems to have no reservations about dumping capacity into FL via ATL including both frequency and widebodies, so would expect a fairly dramatic competitive response.

UA's aircraft order book almost suggests they need domestic expansion and maybe this is the most logical, but just seems like an extremely risky proposition.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:27 pm
O62

Originally Posted by United747
United does maintenance at a lot of line stations - PDX, HNL, SEA, etc. None, IMO, hub or corporate HQ candidates.
I assume this is because they need big hangars and you can only get so many giant hangars at airports so they have to spread them out? Are there any maintenance facilities where UA does not fly or where only served by regionals?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
MCO is already bigger than CLE, and TPA/FLL are close. But do any of them have the gates available or planned to make a hub out of?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by mduell
MCO is already bigger than CLE, and TPA/FLL are close. But do any of them have the gates available or planned to make a hub out of?
I could be mistaken, but didn't UA try to build a mini hub in MCO in the late 80s? Could have been during the same years they served Micky D's happy meals to Florida. It lasted a few years before they retrenched, presumably during a bankruptcy.

Google to the rescue. Yes they did. 1991. A four year effort.

https://thefloridasqueeze.com/2023/1...ub-in-orlando/
jpezaris and uanj like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc715
I could be mistaken, but didn't UA try to build a mini hub in MCO in the late 80s? Could have been during the same years they served Micky D's happy meals to Florida. It lasted a few years before they retrenched, presumably during a bankruptcy.

Thanks for sharing the link. It brings back memories.

i started flying United out of Miami around the time Pam Am sold its Miami operation to United.

My favorite flight was the MIA-MCO-MiA on the 757 and the former PanAm 727 aircraft between MIA-DCA. That DCA-MIA flight was very popular with politicians back then for their weekend getaway trips.
dkc715 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dkc715

DL also made MCO a hub for awhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.