Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I Buy Up to a B-Fare to Secure a Polaris Upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am new to the forum but definitely not new to United's fare systems and upgrades! I feel like in the last couple of years, upgrades have gotten much more difficult to secure upgrades.

We purchased tickets for our 10-year anniversary (DEN-ORD-MUC-HER and FLR-MUC-DEN) just a week ago and used PlusPoints to upgrade to Premier Economy on ORD-MUC and used miles to request a Polaris upgrade from MUC-DEN. Having just gone through this exercise about a year ago traveling to/from Japan, I experienced firsthand how much more difficult it is to get an upgrade to clear. I ended up upgrading from a regular economy seat to an A-fare in Premium economy and did not get my Polaris upgrade cleared. I was United Gold at the time. I am now United Platinum. Even though our flight isn't until mid-October, it already looks like all the PZ fares are gone as they are listed at zero. Part of me in thinking of paying way too much money to upgrade to a B fare to get the instant upgrade to Polaris. Then part of me thinks that is just too crazy. Already, we are only waitlisted in spot #4, which does not make me feel great at this part. Yes, I realize it's still January. Just knowing how many 1K members there are and the super influx of PlusPoints, I'm wondering if my United Platinum status is just too measly to get a Polaris upgrade to clear. Should I buy up to a B fare or will that even make a difference anymore? Or will my S-fare with Polaris upgrade request actually have a chance to clear? Clearly, I'm feeling a bit pessimistic already about my chances.

Thank you all for your help!
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
B fares are not eligible for instant upgrades to Polaris. They are only available on CPU-able flights, which Polaris isn't. Being #4 on the list for a flight in October means absolutely nothing. PZ fares were probably never there to begin with. United is not likely to release PZ until closer to the flight and as the waitlist grows, your position will sink. UA may release PN earlier, but that's for GS customers. Plats w/ S fares probably do themselves a disservice thinking they have a good chance of clearing.

As for "B" fares clearing automatically on eligible flights (yours isn't) - they don't always. Upgrade space also has to exist at the time of booking to clear immediately. "Capacity controls" translates to "allocated upgrade space". See below:

If you're willing to book B for a chance at an upgrade, not sure why you wouldn't buy O/A/R to better the Polaris upgrade chance and at least have PP seats if it fails.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, wxguy and 8 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 30, 2024 at 11:55 am
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Trekerette
Hi all,

I am new to the forum but definitely not new to United's fare systems and upgrades! I feel like in the last couple of years, upgrades have gotten much more difficult to secure upgrades.

We purchased tickets for our 10-year anniversary (DEN-ORD-MUC-HER and FLR-MUC-DEN) just a week ago and used PlusPoints to upgrade to Premier Economy on ORD-MUC and used miles to request a Polaris upgrade from MUC-DEN. Having just gone through this exercise about a year ago traveling to/from Japan, I experienced firsthand how much more difficult it is to get an upgrade to clear. I ended up upgrading from a regular economy seat to an A-fare in Premium economy and did not get my Polaris upgrade cleared. I was United Gold at the time. I am now United Platinum. Even though our flight isn't until mid-October, it already looks like all the PZ fares are gone as they are listed at zero. Part of me in thinking of paying way too much money to upgrade to a B fare to get the instant upgrade to Polaris. Then part of me thinks that is just too crazy. Already, we are only waitlisted in spot #4, which does not make me feel great at this part. Yes, I realize it's still January. Just knowing how many 1K members there are and the super influx of PlusPoints, I'm wondering if my United Platinum status is just too measly to get a Polaris upgrade to clear. Should I buy up to a B fare or will that even make a difference anymore? Or will my S-fare with Polaris upgrade request actually have a chance to clear? Clearly, I'm feeling a bit pessimistic already about my chances.

Thank you all for your help!
The instant upgrade from a B fare is only for CPU eligible flights. Anything marketed as Polaris is not eligible.

Not sure how you determined you are #4 on the list?

Overall, it is difficult to secure Polaris upgrades. PZ is not available on every flight at all.
Day and season of travel have a great impact on likelihood of it clearing.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:41 am
Original Poster

In talking with the United reps, they stated that I am Number 1 on the waitlist for outbound and Number 4 on the waitlist for the return. I know that is highly likely to change as more people buy tickets, which is why I'm wondering if there's an economical way to push the upgrade through early on. Thinking back to 2016 when I had no status at all and we used our miles to upgrade to/from New Zealand and they were instantly approved! Those were the days...
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Without the presence of positive PZ, there is no such a thing as instant upgrade from a B fare on an INTL route. And with PZ, you can instantly upgrade even from a deep discounted economy ticket - e.g. G / K

​​​​​​You buying up to B may not even help with your upgrade waitlist position that much, as anyone in paid PE cabin comes in higher

Upfaring is NOT a guarantee to secure front of the cabin. Outside of positive upgrade space, paid upgrade (buyup offer) is the only other sure thing.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:43 am
Original Poster

So, you have the same feeling that I have that my upgrade is a pipe dream. Sigh...
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
So, you have the same feeling that I have that my upgrade is a pipe dream. Sigh...
Not sure it is a pipe dream. A Wednesday flight in offseason has a much better shot than a Saturday flight in high season.
Lot of variables....
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A Plat on any TATL economy fare is a tough upgrade, chances are better but not great on a PremPlus (Premiun Economy) paid fare -- plus you have a fall back of PremPlus if the upgrade fails.
Secondly as mentioned mid-week travel help helps but not a certain -
Also when in Oct matters -- the further from Oktoberfest.the better (impacts MUC upgrade chances)

Speaking as a Plat for recent years with TATL clearance rate of 20% .
Look for sub-$1,000 Cash buy up to Polaris

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 30, 2024 at 12:11 pm Reason: Look for sub-$1,000 Cash buy up to Polaris
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Trekerette!

Sorry we couldn't give you better news.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Not sure it is a pipe dream. A Wednesday flight in offseason has a much better shot than a Saturday flight in high season.
Lot of variables....
OP is going through Munich in October. There is virtually no chance for an upgrade. The fact that OP is already #4 on the return list is a horrible, horrible sign.

OP: You're apparently not going to Oktoberfest but you are routing through Munich, where everyone else will be. You're going to have a much better chance on just about any other routing.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Hmm, that's some food for thought. I agree that #4 this early on is not good, hence looking for alternatives.
You're right, we are not going to Oktoberfest - just trying to get home with as few connections as possible. I will look to see if there's some other routes available.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In talking with the United reps, they stated that I am Number 1 on the waitlist for outbound and Number 4 on the waitlist for the return....
Those mean absolutely nothing - if you're in coach, you can tell your neighbor, "I was #4 on the upgrade list in January!". UA isn't passing out upgrades early. With the increase of vacation travelers buying front cabin fares, they'd rather keep the seats in the inventory. Plus, delaying upgrades until closer to flight time means UA can give the upgrades to the higher-status customers who paid higher fares (w/ GS customers scooting though on their magic upgrade carpets). The latter is why Plats in coach are at a disadvantage.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 30, 2024 at 12:04 pm
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
With a few exception on leisure heavy routes during off peak travels, I have seen PN but seldom seen PZ availability. Even with PN, it would not be available this far out from October.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Those mean nothing. Seriously.
Being #1 means nothing. Being #4 means OP has virtually no chance. That's an indication that the flight is going to be too popular for any chance of an upgrade.

Hmm, that's some food for thought. I agree that #4 this early on is not good, hence looking for alternatives.
You're right, we are not going to Oktoberfest - just trying to get home with as few connections as possible. I will look to see if there's some other routes available.
The two are at odds: your best chance of an upgrade may not be the most convenient flight. That's often the trade-off.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Oktoberfest in Munich 2024 is Sat, Sep 21, 2024 – Sun, Oct 6, 2024 but it takes a week or so to clear out the visitors. Later, after Oct 15th or better 20th is better
jsloan, SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.