Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Memo to UA FAs: Don't use your phones with customers onboard the aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Memo obtained by Live and Let's Fly reportedly saying "Use of a personal electronic device and/or accessories is not permitted while customers are on board the aircraft, with the exception of crew rest... Any crewmember found in violation will be subject to performance discipline up to and including termination.” Probably going to cause a bit of a rift with cabin crew, I think we've all seen FAs engrossed in their phone, especially during the middle of a longer flight. I wonder how strongly they will enforce violations on this; the "up to and including termination" is sometimes used in employee handbooks for only the most repeat and flagrant offenders.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What always gets me is seeing a flight attendant on their phones right after the announcement that phones must be in airplane mode.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
People magazine still ok??
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Dyce
As long as it's not the electronic version.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Wow. Recent United flights I’ve been on have FAs using their phones the overwhelming majority of the time.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Baze
What always gets me is seeing a flight attendant on their phones right after the announcement that phones must be in airplane mode.
I once got pretty irritated with an FA who was hassling me about the size of the backpack I placed beneath the seat in front of me whilst sitting in the exit row. I found that annoying, but I accepted that it's her call and allowed her to put it in the bin above me. No, what irritated me was how she subsequently ignored my neighbor speaking on her cell phone during the safety demo. So, we're selectively following a only subset of the safety guidelines now?
Kevin AA, cmd320 and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dyce
Lol

​​​​​Assume long chit chats in the galley no problemo? I have witnessed first hand many occasions FAs with loud conversations, laughs, etc, and ended up having to rush to their seats (for takeoffs), or rush to perform checks just before final approach.

I wonder what the intent is to singling out personal devices, when there are many other instances of "distractions"?
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iapetus
I once got pretty irritated with an FA who was hassling me about the size of the backpack I placed beneath the seat in front of me whilst sitting in the exit row. I found that annoying, but I accepted that it's her call and allowed her to put it in the bin above me. No, what irritated me was how she subsequently ignored my neighbor speaking on her cell phone during the safety demo. So, we're selectively following a only subset of the safety guidelines now?
inconsistent application of policies has been a United hallmark for some time now.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 3:14 pm

I thought it interesting that a personal device could activate an evacuation slide per Matt's blog post.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 3:58 pm

How are they going to enforce this? Are they relying on customer write ups?
lsquare and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Secret Shoppers flying in front cabin; could explain some of those last minute mystery downgrades experienced from time to time.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Jan 26, 2024, 4:14 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Excessive. The world today is based around these, like it or not. It is a cultural norm. On a long haul flight, We will get messages, there will be both personal and professional things that come up. UA is eliminating many "service areas" and they are being replaced by personal device options. Excessive use that detract from job performance is something that should be cut down on. Use during critical phases of the flight should be eliminated, but occasional use during cruise is a part of our culture. As the baby boomers retire and are replaced with millennials, gen xyz, this policy and memo in today's culture seems to me at least, about 20 years too late.
nnn, uanj, IggySD and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastair
Excessive. The world today is based around these, like it or not. It is a cultural norm. On a long haul flight, We will get messages, there will be both personal and professional things that come up. UA is eliminating many "service areas" and they are being replaced by personal device options. Excessive use that detract from job performance is something that should be cut down on. Use during critical phases of the flight should be eliminated, but occasional use during cruise is a part of our culture. As the baby boomers retire and are replaced with millennials, gen xyz, this policy and memo in today's culture seems to me at least, about 20 years too late.
It sounds like this is a bit of heavy-handedness over flight attendants going way too far with it. I've seen some on it literally every minute that they are not performing a required duty.

Originally Posted by lamphs
I thought it interesting that a personal device could activate an evacuation slide per Matt's blog post.
I think it's that a personal device that someone is glued to could cause a distraction that inadvertently causes them to activate the emergency slide.
nnn, lamphs and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 4:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Baze
Remember that they use their work devices, which are larger sized mobile phone based, to read annoucements and manuals, as well as looking up all sorts of passenger information.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Well it won't be from their fellow FAs. I had an interesting chat on Monday night with a UA FA who said there are "blacklists" of FAs who rat on other FAs for not doing their jobs, which includes tire-slashing of the rats. I asked if management knows of and does anything about this, and the response was yes and no, respectively. The fish rots from the head down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.