Wiki Posts
Search

UA 100% bonus mileage purchase promo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:25 am
Original Poster

UA 100% bonus mileage purchase promo

Hello Members,

Another newbie question: I have this promo in my inbox for 100% bonus miles for buying miles upto 100,000. On the surface it looks like a great deal. Wanted to see what are your thoughts!

Thank you!
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Usually a terrible deal. There may be cases where you have a specific premium award that is 'available' that you know you want and need ... and you don't have enough miles and no easy other way to transfer them in. Aside from cases like that, buying miles is not a good use of money.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by suyog

Another newbie question: I have this promo in my inbox for 100% bonus miles for buying miles upto 100,000. On the surface it looks like a great deal. Wanted to see what are your thoughts!
Welcome to FT!

Do the math yourself: how much are you going to pay per for each mile? And how much value are you going to extract from each mile, and when?

As cfisher said, unless you have a very specific award you are about to book, stockpiling miles because of these (frequent!) bonuses makes little sense.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:15 pm

Also, if you have a particular trip in mind, check to see how much the regularly-purchased tickets would be for that flight, and compare how much you would spend on buying miles for the same (or similar) reward ticket. When I've done that, it rarely makes sense to buy miles, even with these bonuses. OK, ok, ok --- not even rarely, it has never made sense for my travel plans. But my travel pattern is very likely different than yours.

That said, for my travel patterns, and this summer in particular, flights are ridiculously expensive purchased in either money or miles, so maybe the balance has changed.

Caveat emptor, and do your homework.
UA_Flyer, jsloan and WheelsUpGal like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Agree with what all the posters have said above.

I have never come up with a case that buying miles would provide an outcome is better than just buy the ticket to fly.
At least you earn RDM when you pay for a ticket.

The important thing is to do enough research based on your anticipated travel needs rather than just focusing on the "bonus" in the marketing materials.
lsquare, SPN Lifer and jpezaris like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 25, 2024 at 8:27 am
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpezaris
Also, if you have a particular trip in mind, check to see how much the regularly-purchased tickets would be for that flight, and compare how much you would spend on buying miles for the same (or similar) reward ticket. When I've done that, it rarely makes sense to buy miles, even with these bonuses. OK, ok, ok --- not even rarely, it has never made sense for my travel plans. But my travel pattern is very likely different than yours.
I’ve purchased miles with Award Accelerator twice. In both cases, I needed a relatively small number of miles to ‘top off’ for an available award. Once was in 2014 and once was last year, so i guess it’s about a once-in-a-decade event for me.
SPN Lifer and jpezaris like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Careful about wanting to 'stretch' to an award ticket itin that you wouldn't buy unless you purchased miles through this deal. If you do that, you've been had by UA.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for such valuable feedback! Appreciate explaining this. It makes sense. I am learning so much here.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.