Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United sold me a flight on ITA: experience and feedback

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024 | 10:12 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

Hi all,
Couldn't find another thread to put this in but possibly it will be merged elsewhere. I remember commenting a few months back when searching flights to Europe that United was heavily trying to sell me flights on ITA Airways (the old Alitalia which is now part of SkyTeam). For the flights I took this week I actually booked the connection as United refused to route me through BRU/FRA/MUC all of which had SN/LH connections to my destination in the Balkans. Odd. But I took it because I knew my PPs would confirm on EWR-FCO and it was $400 cheaper than the other routings.

I was booked with a 5.5 hour layover in FCO. Blech. But Rome being one of my favorite cities this worked out just fine. The flight from EWR arrived over 30 minutes early so I now had a 6 hour layover. I "entered" Italy and went to T1 to check my bag on ITA so I wasn't carrying it with me as I had on the United flight. ITA had no issues checking my bag. They did fat finger my DL FF# when I gave it to them but it ultimately took and it recognized my DL status. No priority as I don't technically make DL Gold until February 1 (bummer). So no lounge, no priority boarding, no priority bag tag, etc. No big deal.

I went into Rome for a few hours and came back. Security was a breeze. The ITA flight was delayed 30 minutes because it took them a long time to tug the plane over to the E gate (int'l departures outside of Schengen). Sounds like UA in EWR in summer...

Other than the delayed departure the flight was fine. I had the entire row to myself so I was able to make poor mans business class and lay down for the 1 hour flight and nap. Bag came out on the baggage carousel very quickly (I was nervous as 6 hours sitting in FCO might have been an issue).

All in all I would have no issues doing this connection again. My flight on ITA was booked into "O" class and apparently a regular economy fare and not economy light.

-RM
Old Jan 24, 2024 | 10:36 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA1K
I did something similar a couple of months back, UA IAD-FCO then IT FCO-ATH. Didn't have any issues across the board, and flight was perfectly fine. No issues with interline bag, and I had about 14 hours between my arrival into FCO and departure to ATH. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it, since I can't credit the IT flight to UA, but if push comes to shove it's perfectly acceptable.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024 | 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
FCO is really underrated, the upgraded terminals are excellent, security is a breeze and the staff are generally helpful. We also really enjoyed flying ITA intra-Italy. Everything was easy and the soft product (in J) was excellent.
Old Jan 24, 2024 | 12:26 pm
50 Countries Visited30 Nights1M15 Years on Site

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston/Red Stick, La./airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
UA tries to do that for me on my flights to and from CTA unless I pick dates and time that better fit for LH to MUC or FRA flights.

My experience has been ok, better to CTA with ITA the last leg than out of CTA as the first, but no major issues. I am fluent in Italian so normally check-in in Italian with ITA, but I know they all "should" speak English for the front facing staff.

I am fairly used to FCO so it does not bug me anymore LOL
Old Jan 24, 2024 | 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

All in all I would have no issues doing this connection again. My flight on ITA was booked into "O" class and apparently a regular economy fare and not economy light.

-RM
The ITA flight was not on a separate fare. It was part of a single UA fare. UA has an interline agreement with ITA to include flights on it's metal (limited to flights within EU) on trips booked on UA fares and UA splits some of the revenue from the fare with ITA. LH also has an interline flight booking agreement with them. The ITA flights will be ITA coded with one of ITAs booking classes which don't really have much to do with with UA fare and class you booked other than sharing the same class of service as your UA booking.

jsloan likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 24, 2024 at 2:14 pm
Old Jan 24, 2024 | 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xliioper
The ITA flight was not on a separate fare. It was part of a single UA fare. UA has an interline agreement with ITA to include flights on it's metal (limited to flights within EU) on trips booked on UA fares and UA splits some of the revenue from the fare with ITA. LH also has an interline flight booking agreement with them. The ITA flights will be ITA coded with one of ITAs booking classes which don't really have much to do with with UA fare and class you booked other than sharing the same class of service as your UA booking.
And worth noting that ITA will be joining *A in the (hopefully near) future.

Think of it as a swap with ST for SK
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024 | 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
FCO is really underrated, the upgraded terminals are excellent, security is a breeze and the staff are generally helpful. We also really enjoyed flying ITA intra-Italy. Everything was easy and the soft product (in J) was excellent.
Even better if you happen to luck up and get one of their new A321 NEOs intra Europe in J.
Old Jan 24, 2024 | 7:20 pm

Horrible experience

Back in early December flew EWR to Rome then FLR via ITA. Got to Rome and ITA delayed 30 mins then 1 hour. Eventually cancelled flight without reason. Was told that there would be buses to take everyone to FLR. No further explanation and other gate agents were unaware. Ended up taking a train to FLR. ITA refused to refund, UA refused as well after many calls. Submitted the EU261 form with ITA and still waiting to hear back.
Old Feb 12, 2024 | 9:15 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
Took ITA connecting in FCO. The new terminal is quite nice, but at 6'3", the 28" pitch on ITA was tough. Fortunately, a short flight. I know there are plenty of taller folks and not sure how they do it. Can't change seats if on UA ticket either online or in airport from my experience. I tried upgrading to Exit row or business at the in-terminal ticketing counter and gate, but they told me it wasn't possible since 016 issued. Makes the LH connections and relatively easy process of getting a decent seat (*G) or switching more appreciated. I know ITA is not fully integrated into Star Alliance yet, so hopefully that improves.
Old Feb 12, 2024 | 7:56 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by SkiBikeBeer
Took ITA connecting in FCO. The new terminal is quite nice, but at 6'3", the 28" pitch on ITA was tough. Fortunately, a short flight. I know there are plenty of taller folks and not sure how they do it. Can't change seats if on UA ticket either online or in airport from my experience. I tried upgrading to Exit row or business at the in-terminal ticketing counter and gate, but they told me it wasn't possible since 016 issued. Makes the LH connections and relatively easy process of getting a decent seat (*G) or switching more appreciated. I know ITA is not fully integrated into Star Alliance yet, so hopefully that improves.
I'm the same size as you....it's tight, but not really much tighter than most Euro economy seats out there. I lucked out on my flight and had an empty middle seat, so the extra stretch helped a lot.
Old Feb 13, 2024 | 3:10 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
You just had a bad agent. The ITA agent who checked me in for the flight ex-FCO was able to change my seat after I asked her to. She initially said, "The computer will not allow me" but then it did. Viola. This was before she even had the right DL FF# in the record so my status wasn't even recognized yet.

But I agree it's not possible to change via United or ITA apps/website.

-RM
Old Sep 1, 2024 | 3:57 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have an upcoming flight LIN-FCO-SFO that is on a single cash ticket through UA:
LIN-FCO (ITA Y)
FCO-SFO (UA J)

1) Will checked baggage policy for my United business flight be used since that is the longer flight? Or will ITA's policy be used since it is the first flight (and thus I'll have to pay for bags?)
2) Will bags be checked all the way from LIN to SFO given its a single ticket? Based on comments above it seems as such but wanted to confirm!
Old Sep 1, 2024 | 6:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bomberman92
I have an upcoming flight LIN-FCO-SFO that is on a single cash ticket through UA:
LIN-FCO (ITA Y)
FCO-SFO (UA J)

1) Will checked baggage policy for my United business flight be used since that is the longer flight? Or will ITA's policy be used since it is the first flight (and thus I'll have to pay for bags?) ...
Generally yes, but a question for the ITA, UA has no control over this
2) Will bags be checked all the way from LIN to SFO given its a single ticket? ...
yes
Old Sep 2, 2024 | 4:06 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally yes, but a question for the ITA, UA has no control over this
yes
Thanks! ITA Airways wasn't very helpful with this question - hopefully I'll get lucky with a nice gate agent

Were you able to check-in online via UA or ITA? I'm able to do neither within 24 hours

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 2, 2024 at 11:02 am Reason: merged consecutive by same member
Old Sep 2, 2024 | 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Were you able to check-in online via UA or ITA? I'm able to do neither within 24 hours
If UA does not operate the first flight, you can not check in with UA. Checking-in with ITA should check you in for your UA flight
Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Hope all goes well, I have a XXX-FCO-SFO flight with XXX-FCO ITA operated in a couple of months

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.