Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,...

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 10:23 pm

Any recent experiences SFO-SYD / SYD-IAH with a child's meal in business?

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
Just flew SFO-CDG and requested a special meal via the website over 24 hours prior to departure. FA said the special meal was not loaded because the request must be made at least 48 hours before departure. She said catering denied the request. Purser also indicated that 48 hours is the policy.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a new policy? I just checked the website now, and both the page where the meal request is made and the FAQ show "requests must be made at least 24 hours in advance." There is no mention of 48 hours anywhere.
I spoke with United customer service about this. They confirmed that 24 hours is the cutoff, not 48. They gave me a $200 voucher (per person whose meals weren't loaded).
Old May 20, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
I spoke with United customer service about this. They confirmed that 24 hours is the cutoff, not 48. They gave me a $200 voucher (per person whose meals weren't loaded).
what kind of special meal?

IIRC, most are 24 hours, but I believe KSML needs to be 48 hours, or at least, it used to be that way - have no idea why KSML needs a longer window.
Old May 20, 2018, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
....but I believe KSML needs to be 48 hours, or at least, it used to be that way - have no idea why KSML needs a longer window.
Requires a different vendor?
Or due to the special processing required, the vendor requires longer lead time/
Old May 21, 2018, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by emcampbe

what kind of special meal?

IIRC, most are 24 hours, but I believe KSML needs to be 48 hours, or at least, it used to be that way - have no idea why KSML needs a longer window.
Never heard of a 48 hour requirement for KSML nor is that listed online. I believe I've made reservations less than 48 hours prior to flight without an issue with KSML.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
what do special meals consist of? Better than what is normally served or just kosher, vegan, etc? (which may be better than what is normally served.)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2018 at 11:55 am Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old May 24, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pkerr
On a slightly related note... what do special meals consist of? Better than what is normally served or just kosher, vegan, etc? (which may be better than what is normally served.)
In my experience special meals are worse than what is usually served. It's almost as if UA is punishing people who make extra demands.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by transportprof
In my experience special meals are worse than what is usually served. It's almost as if UA is punishing people who make extra demands.
And is there a "menu" on their WEB site to see what is available? (First time in F on UA)
Thanks
Old May 29, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pkerr
And is there a "menu" on their WEB site to see what is available? (First time in F on UA)
Thanks
No menu. You take what they dish out.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: UA (1k) lifetime gold, AA (EP), Starwood (Life Plat), Hilton (Gold)
Really, no Keto friendly diabetic food offerings, C’mon United

I think it’s sad that United does not offer special meals for diabetics. Every other airline offers low sugar and low carbohydrate alternatives. I’m on a UA biz class flight from EWR to FRA and the meal choices were very few. I called the 1k desk to ask if there were offerings not listed on the website. The answer was no, sorry. My flight back on Lufthansa, no problem, they offer it. I don’t think I’m the only one who would appreciate a keto friendly meal. I’ll do what I always do and bring my own food.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
DL & AA really do seem to have a bit more options for special meals.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by sfallsflyer
I think it’s sad that United does not offer special meals for diabetics. Every other airline offers low sugar and low carbohydrate alternatives. I’m on a UA biz class flight from EWR to FRA and the meal choices were very few. I called the 1k desk to ask if there were offerings not listed on the website. The answer was no, sorry. My flight back on Lufthansa, no problem, they offer it. I don’t think I’m the only one who would appreciate a keto friendly meal. I’ll do what I always do and bring my own food.
Good point. I’m now surprised too, particularly given the prevalence of type II diabetes.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Child Meal OGG (Maui) to DEN

We ordered child meals for our four boys ages 2 through 8. The special meals weren’t loaded on the outbound DEN-OGG (UA1736 on June 2) flight. But the return (UA1430 on June 9) from OGG-DEN consisted of chicken nuggets, tater tots, Maui-style chips, a Rice Krispy Treat and a sea salt caramel chocolate square. Our kids loved it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
How do I pre-order the Japanese meal? I am on a NRT-SFO flight in Polaris later this month and would like to ensure I get this meal. TIA.

I used to order kid's meals for my son but that is ten years ago and it was in his UA profile.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
How do I pre-order the Japanese meal? I am on a NRT-SFO flight in Polaris later this month and would like to ensure I get this meal. TIA.
Order "Japanese meal" (OBML) if you can find it on the website. For what it's worth, I couldn't find the option to select a meal on the website while on a trip recently -- not sure if it was the beta site or because I already had done the outbound leg. If you aren't 1K I'd call and make sure it's ordered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.