Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Silver on UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Star Alliance Silver on UA

Flying YYZ-EWR-DCA. I have Star Alliance Silver through AC. Are there any useful benefits that I can apply ?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by flying chef
Flying YYZ-EWR-DCA. I have Star Alliance Silver through AC. Are there any useful benefits that I can apply ?
no, unfortunately. gotta fly a bit more
Jason77W likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Pretty much just luggage allowance and slightly earlier boarding than the masses.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:02 pm

*S does give you group 2 boarding - which can be helpful to claim some overhead bin space.

I don’t believe there’s any additional luggage allowance for *S, but if you’re in BE you’ll be able to bring a carry on by virtue of being in group 2
flying chef likes this.

Last edited by unitedwildcat; Jan 12, 2024 at 8:07 pm Reason: forgot about group 2!
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:05 pm

Boarding Group 2 is probably the only notable benefit for Star Silver. You board together with Premier Silver and the credit card people.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...g-process.html

The other stuffs is pretty useless.
flying chef likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
*S does give you group 2 boarding - ...
In in strict terms,that is more the Star Alliance requirements for *S
Priority Reservations Waitlist
If at the time of reservation, seats in your desired class of service are not available, your status gives you higher priority on the waitlist when a reservation is possible, except when you are travelling on an award ticket.
Priority Airport Stand-by
If your travel plans change and flights are full, your status gives you higher priority on the standby list for your preferred flight, except when you are travelling on an award ticket.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:51 am

If you're American a good credit card pretty much gives you all the benefits. Just spent the $500-3000 a year fee and fly in style.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
If you're American a good credit card pretty much gives you all the benefits. Just spent the $500-3000 a year fee and fly in style.
I giggle that flying "in style" is what was normal just a few years ago. There's very little "stylish" about group 2 and (maybe) free bags.
PLeblond likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Marriott Rewards Platinum
AC*S on UA has allowed me to change same day confirmed, which is technically limited to MP elites. This might be an unofficial benefit or just a technical glitch
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emoose1
AC*S on UA has allowed me to change same day confirmed, which is technically limited to MP elites. This might be an unofficial benefit or just a technical glitch
that sometimes works and some GAs will also give E+ seats, but YMMV
Old Jan 13, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Being *S also allowed me to use the status line at the Customer Service desk when I had an overnight IRROP at DEN. That saved me at least an hour.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE • LH*SEN • BA*G • AA*EXP • MB*A • WOH*G • HH*G
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Pretty much just luggage allowance and slightly earlier boarding than the masses.
Hmm, is one entitled to additional luggage allowance on UA as an AC*S?
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jason77W
Hmm, is one entitled to additional luggage allowance on UA as an AC*S?
no
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I giggle that flying "in style" is what was normal just a few years ago. There's very little "stylish" about group 2 and (maybe) free bags.
I was implying a good credit card can go above and beyond Star Alliance Silver, but yes, Group 2 is not something to brag about.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I was implying a good credit card can go above and beyond Star Alliance Silver, but yes, Group 2 is not something to brag about.
Yes but being a *S suggests UA is not your primarily carrier and having a UA MP branded Chase card might not make the most sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.