Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The People Mover /ATS, O’Hare’s (ORD) shuttle train, to close until Fall 2019

E to C gate shuttle discountinedMCT Feb 2021 from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL

UA-UA DD .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35
UA-UA DI .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DI .40
UA-UA ID 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.20
UA-UA II 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA II 1.20
older MCT ORD MCT data - Sept 2016

Archive: Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Does anyone know what the minimum allowable connection time is at ORD. Realistically how long to get from B or C to F and what will the computer/phone reservations allow?

Speciafically I am looking at a mainline flight that arrives at 7:04 am and a UX flight that departs at 7:40; the system will not let this routing come up. Next month the same flights arrive at 7:06 and depart at 7:45 respectively and the system shows this routing as an option. So this month i would have 36 minutes and next month 39 minutes. Is the cutoff between 36 and 39 minutes or do you think something else is going on here?

All flights are showing avilablity on the days I am looking.

Thanks
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I don't know the legal connection time, but book the later flight and try to standby for the earlier one. (don't check baggage if possible).
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I don't know the legal connection time, but book the later flight and try to standby for the earlier one. (don't check baggage if possible).

Yeah, I consdiered this but the earliest flight in leaves at 6 am and the next flight leaves at 7:45 am. This means take flight one and stand by for ealier connection or sleep later take flight two and make only wait an hour at ORD for the next scheduled flight. In matters like this I side with extra sleep, however a def. seat on the earlier flight might sway me.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:11 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I had a "legal" connection time of 35 minutes ("legal" in that the system allowed it) SJC-ORD-DCA. That was a B-C terminal change. Unfortunately, I missed the connection (due to a mechanical at SJC) but UA had already rebooked me on the next flight out.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by beachsoc6
Does anyone know what the minimum allowable connection time is at ORD. Realistically how long to get from B or C to F and what will the computer/phone reservations allow?

Speciafically I am looking at a mainline flight that arrives at 7:04 am and a UX flight that departs at 7:40; the system will not let this routing come up. Next month the same flights arrive at 7:06 and depart at 7:45 respectively and the system shows this routing as an option. So this month i would have 36 minutes and next month 39 minutes. Is the cutoff between 36 and 39 minutes or do you think something else is going on here?

All flights are showing avilablity on the days I am looking.

Thanks
29 minutes is the MCT in ORD. So, that's not the reason the flight isn't showing up. Would I book a 36 minute connection at ORD? Hell no.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by LPCJr
29 minutes is the MCT in ORD. So, that's not the reason the flight isn't showing up. Would I book a 36 minute connection at ORD? Hell no.
Yeah, if you have a flight arriving in C and your next flight leaves from the E/F gates, you'd have a lot of running to do.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
There is at least one other thread on this topic; search is your friend.

I'd allow at least an hour connection time. With flights closing ten minuutes before departure time plus the time it takes to get off a flight if it lands on time doesn't leave much time in between if you have to change terminals. (And I'd count on having to do that!)
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:19 am

UA -> UX on Nov 1, 40 mins realistic?

I've searched and found a few threads on ORD connection times, but the most recent posts are all 12-18 months old and I wanted to double-check in case things have improved/degraded. Can anyone advise if this is doable?

UA651 EWR-ORD 17:27-19:23 (United mainline)
UX6751 ORD-YWG 20:03-22:21 (UNITED EXPRESS/ SKYWEST AIRLINES)

I think this means I would arrive on the B or C concourse, and depart on E or F.

With no checked bags, is this truly a "must run" connection, or just a "no time to dilly dally" connection? Is the E2 shuttle worth it?

Thank you in advance for any advice on this.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:21 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
No need to run, assuming more or less on-time arrival.

You'll be fine.

You might want to skim this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...rd-thread.html
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
No need to run, assuming more or less on-time arrival.

You'll be fine.

You might want to skim this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...rd-thread.html
Great, thanks. I hadn't spotted that one, or this other one that looks helpful too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...nal-1-2-a.html

Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:52 am

I would be comfortable with your 40 minute connection at ORD. The walk from C to the end of F take me about 10 minutes, but I have long legs. I don't think the bus really saves time, and there's the possibility of having to wait a few minutes for it, but it does save quite a few steps if that appeals to you.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:01 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Chances are you will arrive in B as this is a Business One flight and they tend to arrive in B. Your connection will probably depart from C as most Skywest flight drrive/depart in the low C's.

You should have little problems.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question 6 hour versus 2 hour international connection in ORD

Pardon my seeking advice on something that's basically just a judgment call, but between work and travel I'm pretty exhausted right now and want to finalize a trip that's about 10 days away before I hit the road tomorrow. And I don't have much experience transiting through ORD during the summer.

So...for that trip, the flight from AMS leaves from ORD at about 6 p.m. I'll be on a Y ticket and upgrades are available on that flight. They're also available on two SFO-ORD connecting flights: at about 6 a.m. on an old C 747 that arrives at about noon and at about 10 a.m. on a new C 767 that arrives a little less than two hours (about 4 p.m.) before the AMS flight departs.

I know that nearly two hours with the 10 a.m. flight is a pretty decent cushion, and the notion of getting up at 4 a.m. to make the 6 a.m. flight doesn't thrill me, but summer weather/disruptions around ORD and the off chance or a mechanical have me leaning toward the 6 a.m. flight. OTOH, if something goes wrong with the 10 a.m. flight there's a 777 going less than an hour later into ORD, which at least cuts down the chances of a mechanical on the 10 a.m. ruining my connection.

I guess the X factor for me is how often do T-storms or other lousy weather mess up connections like this in ORD.

So...Which option would you choose: the 6 a.m. or the 10 a.m.?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jun 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:57 pm

Are there other flights later to AMS if you miss your connection?
Is it very important that you arrive in AMS on time?

If there are no later flights to AMS or if it's very important that you make the flight to AMS, I would opt for the earlier flight out of SFO. Since you're a 1k you can spend the extra time in the RCC so it won't be that bad. Otherwise you can take your chances with a tighter connection. At least in ORD (assuming it's all on UA metal) you won't have to transfer to a different terminal and re-clear security.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
I would probably book the 2hr connection. My reasoning is that when afternoon storms hit ORD in the summer (which is your biggest risk factor), they're impacting everything. The airport closes for 30 minutes and everything halts. While I can't say for certain, that 772 to AMS is likely coming in from somewhere before AMS (SFO, IAD, DEN, who knows) and would be similarly impacted by a closure. There are no sure things in summer ops at ORD, but I think the risk of arriving 90+ minutes late and having the AMS flight leave on-time is relatively low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.