Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Longboater
Had the switch been just that, with the exception routes largely ex-DEN that have always had meals, then fine, some grumbling there. But this really was a major downgrade and UA is using the guise of FA safety to cut back on meal service in order to cut costs, largely to help pay for that large pilot contract. Just my opinion.
That snack wrap that the red eye got was always good. If memory serves it was a wrap, some carrots and dill dip, and a bag of chips. But it was all cold, and fast to serve.

The 900 mile thing seems arbitrary too. MKE-DEN gets no meal, and is blocked 5 minutes shorter than SEA-DEN. The really bad part is that MKE-DEN misses the cut by 5 miles. FIVE!

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
that sandwich (heated of course) would make a mighty fine snack on the snack flights
That was the sodium bomb covid meals before real food came back. I'd rather have the impossible meatballs than those sandwiches. UA had a perfectly good red eye snack years ago.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:36 pm

Can someone please share the menu for ps (EWR-SFO) in Premium Plus?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Can someone please share the menu for ps (EWR-SFO) in Premium Plus?
this it is still the chicken or ravioli, same as up front
malgudi likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: 1K
ORD HDN 1/12
Preordered the Southwest Tortilla Scramble. Delay of 3 hours or so due to the blizzard in Chicago, which meant having breakfast for lunch (zero complaintes due to the weather/irrops etc). I highly recommend this dish. Much better than the Fritata. Hot towel, PDB, and great service.

HDN-ORD 1/15/24 Delay of about two hours due to late inbound aircraft. No PDB, no hot towels, however nuts were served and I preordered the Beef Enchiladas. Another solid choice and delicious. Great service on this flight as well. Purser interacted with every passenger and just seemed to be happy to be there.

Am not a fan of this dessert, but by reading above it sounds like most people are so I'm in the minority and will save the calories for once.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
EWR-SFO

Well, catering mistake and inattentive crew = not great flight.

The purser did not know that I had pre-ordered the chili and had to go back to verify it. The chili was delivered - it is sadder than the transcon chicken special:

My partner's burger was missing fries, and no salad.

According to the Purser, catering made a mistake and did not board any of the sundae toppings. As of result, the galley FA did not bother set up the Queen's cart for dessert, and the Purser was delivering desserts by hand, with the a tray filled with ice cream, cheese plate, and the blueberry strudel cake that was on other domestic first class meals.

The galley FA also did 2 speed walk-by without stopping at any seat. The FA from the mid-cabin was much more attentive.

One of the pre-landing snacks had changed: it is now couscous salad/hummus and deli meat (turkey and ham) and cheese blocks (white and orange cheddar?), with the metal spoon that was supposed to go with the dessert.

Originally Posted by st530
Fun fact, looking back at old pre-pandemic Polaris photos, Pie in the Sky was one of the (non-sundae, non-cheese) dessert options (along with macaroons and other little cakes). It looked a lot fancier on the dessert cart than when plopped on a tray wrapped in plastic.
They were miniature apple pies back in 2019. Pie in the Sky was introduced in 2020 with the chocolate ganache filling. Here's a picture from 2019 flight:

TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
E

They were miniature apple pies back in 2019. Pie in the Sky was introduced in 2020 with the chocolate ganache filling. Here's a picture from 2019 flight:

Yes, precisely the product I was referring to in my 2019 photos. Not the same manufacturer?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
The 2019 and 2020 mini cookie pies are the same manufacturer: Eli's Cheesecake makes them (and many other flavors).
st530 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:43 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
Any idea what’s good on this menu? Just weird that the only protein option is beef?

had the enchiladas and it’s pretty tasty. Bread roll was warm and soft. Salad is fresh and goes well with the dressing. The berry crumb cake was also decent. Just came off an Ana flight where all the flavours was good but more muted so it’s probably why I enjoyed United’s meal so much.
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
UA427
SAN-EWR
B739
Breakfast

Had the tortilla scramble a few days ago on SAN-EWR, not sure if it was a one off, but It was probably my least favorite meal I've had on UA recently, I could taste more salt than anything else. It even made me switch my entree a few days later to the frittata (also not a fan of). I'll give it another try at some point to reassess my opinion, but all I can say right now is... I miss the shakshuka.

Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
EWR-SFO

Well, catering mistake
According to the Purser, catering made a mistake and did not board any of the sundae toppings.
Similar catering issues on same route a few weeks ago. Pre-ordered enchiladas weren't loaded, and had to go with the standard PTS pasta.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by itripreport
UA427
SAN-EWR
B739
Breakfast

Had the tortilla scramble a few days ago on SAN-EWR, not sure if it was a one off, but It was probably my least favorite meal I've had on UA recently, I could taste more salt than anything else. It even made me switch my entree a few days later to the frittata (also not a fan of). I'll give it another try at some point to reassess my opinion, but all I can say right now is... I miss the shakshuka.

The first time I had the fritatta, I thought it was great. Then the next few times, it was horrible. Scramble has been consistently mediocre. I agree with you that the shakshuka is routinely better than either of those, although my favorite breakfast is always the quiche-type egg pastry.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Date: 1/20/24
UA2289
ORD-SEA
737 Max8
Choices were enchiladas, tomato burrata manacotti, or charcuterie plate.

The FA took meal orders while we were waiting for some last minute connections, and did it by status (I was in 4A and she was bouncing around.) I'm not sure how many Bailey's they have, but my last drink (it was #4) they had to get it from economy. I'm very grateful for that. It had been a rough day.

Of special note, napkin had a button hole.

Meal was fine. I didn't eat much at the club so I was kinda hungry. Pasta wasn't over cooked, temperature was just right. I will again ask for the pretzel roll to come back.

Question in general. Has anyone else noticed that they're not clearing the upgrade list until the last minute? The cabin was at 9/16 all week, and they didn't clear anyone until about 20 minutes before boarding.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:31 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
EWR-SFO (Polaris 772), SFO-HNL (Domestic 772) Options 1/23

Have some interesting options. Mrs chose the Chicken for EWR-SFO, I chose the pasta. Both of us took the Beef Short Rib SFO-HNL. The vegetarian option SFO-HNL is interesting but I am a sucker for the short rib since the Polaris event in Chicago...

While I don't get the full Polaris experience EWR-SFO, excited to actually fly in the seat instead of being lit on Buffalo Trace trying it at a press event

EWR-SFO

SFO-HNL

Flying HNL-SFO-ORD-GRR on the way back, will report back with this leg though.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
People have been complaining about the vegetarian chili with polenta, but honestly I found it not too bad and definitely felt better about myself than if I had ordered the chicken.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:55 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
20 Jan, FLL-EWR, F, Asian Noodle Salad

I miss the clear noodle version with lettuce and peppers. This was a sea of slaw burying the noodles with low quality beef on the side. Not recommended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.