Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA FAs involved in loud in-flight verbal dispute

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver

Weird experience today on an LAX-IAD flight (I don't know if I should mention the actual flight number here)... Two flight attendants, one male and one female, got into some sort of argument while doing drink service together in Y. It resulted with dozens of folks staring at them, the male FA screaming at the female FA to "go to the front now or I'm calling the captain!" and her running away mid-service tearing up. Has anyone seen something like this before? It was very uncomfortable and awkward, especially as the male FA had been extremely loud the entire flight. He did not seem like your typical UA flight attendant whatsoever.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
With tens of thousands of FAs flying for United, not surprising something like this happens occasionally. Too bad it played out in the aisle.
Markie, m.y, Intl359Widget and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:46 pm

Please pass it on to United. Not sure what they were disagreeing about, but there has to be a more professional way for the man to address the woman, especially if he was being loud even before that interaction.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Reminds me of this 1980’s Pan Am training video!

Last edited by zrs70; Dec 26, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I once boarded an AA plane and we ran into an argument between a Captain and a FO, where the FO ultimately stormed off the plane and called the Captain all kinds of words in the air bridge.

Assume he was intending to dead head but it overall it looked very unprofessional.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by PA815
Please pass it on to United. Not sure what they were disagreeing about, but there has to be a more professional way for the man to address the woman, especially if he was being loud even before that interaction.
If either attendant reports the incident internally, it will become a he said she said. Having an account from an external observer can help ensure the right outcome is achieved.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Weird experience today on an LAX-IAD flight (I don't know if I should mention the actual flight number here)... Two flight attendants, one male and one female, got into some sort of argument while doing drink service together in Y. It resulted with dozens of folks staring at them, the male FA screaming at the female FA to "go to the front now or I'm calling the captain!" and her running away mid-service tearing up. Has anyone seen something like this before? It was very uncomfortable and awkward, especially as the male FA had been extremely loud the entire flight. He did not seem like your typical UA flight attendant whatsoever.
As a UA employee, I would encourage you to report this to the airline.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 8:19 am

Nothing wrong with posting the flight number and date.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by zrs70
Reminds me of this 1980’s Pan Am train sing video!

https://youtu.be/Jyqx8jGx1qc?si=nAlRbztsiEmWYKxj
It amazes me that some one sees a thread and remembers something from years ago to post. That was an entertaining video and the food looked OK!
Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 757FO
As a UA employee, I would encourage you to report this to the airline.
I will as part of my larger day of travel mess! It was 12/23 UA1635 LAX-IAD FWIW.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by lamphs
It amazes me that some one sees a thread and remembers something from years ago to post. That was an entertaining video and the food looked OK!
Much as that series of PanAm videos brought be back with warm feelings, I predict that in 25 years, people on this forum (yes FT will still be around!) will wax nostalgic about the 20s, United and the golden age of flying! 😳

Everyone is entitled to a bad day. Who knows what was going on with the pair.
lamphs likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:43 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Much as that series of PanAm videos brought be back with warm feelings, I predict that in 25 years, people AI bots on this forum (yes FT will still be around!) will wax nostalgic about the 20s, United and the golden age of flying! 😳

ContinentalFan and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Much as that series of PanAm videos brought be back with warm feelings, I predict that in 25 years, people on this forum (yes FT will still be around!) will wax nostalgic about the 20s, United and the golden age of flying! 😳

Of course, everyone is entitled to a bad day... but having an outburst in front of 300+ paying customers who are locked in the same metal tube as you (while you are getting paid) certainly merits some level of disciplinary action. It's not an office building where you can go take a walk outside to calm down, and I didn't see any United HR employees on the flight.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 3:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Yeah, I had something like this a while back. My wife and I were at the front of intl biz class cabin and two FAs were arguing bitterly about who was serving biz and who had to go back and serve Economy. They argued angrily right in front of us about seniority and then one stomped back in a huff to Economy. Very weird because I thought the positions were pre-determined. Also incredibly unprofessional.

Unlike the Pan Am video, the focus of the argument was not about how to best serve PAX, it was all about who got what privilege based on their seniority. That is the heart of the problem....
nexus7556 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Experienced a similar meltdown with an extremely unpleasant crew EZE-EWR a few years ago and reported it. Stopped serving dinner in J and were literally yelling at each other in the galley for an hour.
Several passengers complained directly and told them they were out of line. When we landed in EWR the purser (the aggressor believe it or not) immediately said as she opened the door "we had several unruly passengers on board last night".
We all wrote to UA Corporate and were all told that there was a TSA agent onboard who confirmed nothing happened.
Wasn't amused.
Speedbird84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.