Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Military Family victims of abuse at the hands of United Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Family victims of abuse at the hands of United Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Angry Military Family victims of abuse at the hands of United Airlines

To whom it may concern,

my family, and I have become the victims of fraud and repeated severe mental/emotional abuse at the hands of United Airlines and its employees. We have been manipulated into believing we were being treated fairly and with compassion. United Airlines has abused not only loyal, repeat customers but an active-duty member of the United States Armed Forces.
On October 3rd, my husband unfortunately boarded a flight with United Airlines. He was returning from school in Florida to spend some time with his family and infant son. His checked bag was mishandled by united employees and ultimately deemed lost. Everything he needed for his career and daily life was in that bag. All military carry what is most valuable to them. What they deem necessary for their life is in there. United Airlines seems to be unaware of this fact judging by the cold-hearted responses (plural) that we have received.

On October 9th , United Airlines confirmed the bag, was indeed, lost. We submitted a claim immediately and received confirmation of the submission on October 14th. After completing that, we began to purchase and replace what we could. Primarily my husband’s military equipment since he could not return to school without it.

My husband returned home again on November 18th to find a check of 1800 had been sent from United Airlines. He called and explained that did not cover the cost of replacing what we had submitted. We were told it was policy, 1800 for domestic, policy. We needed the money. We had no choice but to use the money we had saved for our son’s first birthday party in order to replace his father’s military gear. We were certain that we could trust United Airlines to correct it’s mistake. Imagine our shock when the check was canceled/bounced and stamped with a big red stamp. The clerk told us it was worthless. It had been canceled by United Airlines. My husband was left standing there holding a useless piece of paper. He came home with nothing. We had nothing.

We called and called, desperate for answers as to how a check from a company as big as United Airlines “bounced”. Finally on November 30th, after hearing it would take another 20 days to “void” this useless check before another could be sent, I had a breakdown. I called United Airlines in tears. I called to ask how they could treat customers this way. We weren’t even talking about compensation, we were simply trying to get our money back, what we were owed. Listen to my call. Hear my desperation in explaining that we had to use the money for Christmas for our son’s birthday. Apology after apology for my families’ “inconvenience”, I was promised that this was being taken seriously and would be handled promptly and with the utmost urgency. My husband United Airlines personnel if our family would get receive our money back before Christmas, they said they would do their best to help. We had no choice but to sit and wait. United had our money and United did not want to give it back.

This is where the mental abuse really took its toll. On December 5th, my husband received a call from a fraud/employee CONFIRMING the check was voided, and a new check was being reissued. My husband had to periodically call and check what progress is being made. United Airlines employees promise to call you back within 48 hours but that is rarely the case. We finally saw hope that we may, in fact, be able to provide an amazing Christmas for our children after all to order to make up for dad being away for so long. We eagerly checked the mail every day.

On December 15th during a routine phone call made by my husband, we were told the most heartbreaking news. After being told over and over from numerous employees everything was fine, everything was moving in a positive direction, a supervisor shattered every hope we had for Christmas for our family. The Supervisor informed my husband that the check was NEVER VOIDED. There were virtually no changes to his account. It was as if we had never called. We are devastated. We have nothing. We used the money for our son’s first birthday to replace his father’s military equipment, depleting over 2000, we used our Christmas savings for our son’s birthday. My son’s first birthday was a shadow of what we planned and saved for. In the end, we had a 400 budget for our first child’s first birthday. We have nothing for Christmas, surviving off credit cards. Compliments of United Airlines.

As of December 18th, we still have no clear answer and there is nothing being returned to us. A manager had the nerve to hang up on my husband when we asked why we were lied to on December 5th.

What a vicious and cruel company United Airlines and its hired personnel are.

I will post this email on every forum, every social media platform to warn as many innocent families as possible like ourselves to not fall into the trap that United Airlines has laid for their trusting, loyal and unsuspecting customers.

I know I am just another number on a spread sheet to you and your heartless company. I also know, however, that there are people who want and need to hear our story. I feel it is not only my right but also my responsibility to inform as many people as possible EXACTLY how United Airlines treats our nation’s heroes and their families. And they will.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Sorry, I'm having a tough time following this.

What did the big red stamp actually say on the check?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Sorry, I'm having a tough time following this.

What did the big red stamp actually say on the check?
I suspect the red stamp was placed by their financial institution, most likely indicating 'RETURNED'.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sorry to hear of this. Was your husband forced to check in the important stuff or could he have brought in on board as carry on? Never check luggage that is so important to you.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
I am sorry this happened, but as a retired Air Force officer, lost TOE items and those issued to you during deployment are not subject to some sort of repayment back to the DoD. In 21 years of active and reserve service, I've never heard of such a thing. Whatever was lost, would be replaced through normal requisition channels depending on your branch of service. Spending $1800 of your own money to replace issued equipment makes no sense...
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingM
I suspect the red stamp was placed by their financial institution, most likely indicating 'RETURNED'.
I get that, but I want to hear from the OP... they are specifically mentioning "bounced" which is a very serious accusation (that stamp would most likely be "returned unpaid NSF" or "account closed" or other potential ways to have the check dishonored (especially with Positive Pay spreading). Further, IME (several times per year): the Check 21 act has virtually eliminated actual red stamps.

The clerk told us it was worthless. It had been canceled by United Airlines. My husband was left standing there holding a useless piece of paper.
OP, please post a pic of the check here (of course redact your personal info and account numbers).
moondog likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Lost “military gear” would definitely be replaced by the U.S. Government. One doesn’t just go out and “buy” issued military gear. Was the ticket issued by his service branch (travel orders) or was it strictly a personal ticket? Sister-in-law retired from AF - she lost a bag. She definitely did not have to “buy” military gear to replace what was lost.

UA has little excuse for screwing up timeliness of compensation check, but OP might to be expecting more than due.
moondog, hhdl, jsloan and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:03 am

Sounds like the OP might want to contact the consumer advocate at their local television news station. Posting that letter here, while perhaps cathartic, will not help make any progress toward resolution with UA.

It also sounds like the OP should start documenting (and recording, if it's legal in their jurisdiction) every single interaction with UA. Dates, notes about each conversation, next steps and expectations, scans of checks, etc.
tods27 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm not sure that the OP will actually come back to answer any questions, or see recommendations. It seems more like she is just trying to get her story out.
moondog and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: UA
Also posted at https://united-airlines.pissedconsum...185439848.html
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by tods27
I'm not sure that the OP will actually come back to answer any questions, or see recommendations. It seems more like she is just trying to get her story out.
It will backfire on her. There is no way military personnel have to pay back for lost equipment. Anyone who has served will see that part of the story and call Bravo Sierra. Not sure what the OP's end goal is, but this story does not pass the sniff test. I hope whatever it is gets resolved and all parties are satisfied.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by tods27
Given this statement, I have little hope that OP will be back to provide any further information. Seems like a copy-pasta they're putting around on any airline related site they can find, but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

I will post this email on every forum, every social media platform to warn as many innocent families as possible like ourselves to not fall into the trap that United Airlines has laid for their trusting, loyal and unsuspecting customers.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA has little excuse for screwing up timeliness of compensation check, but OP might to be expecting more than due.
What is untimely about the initial process of issuing compensation? October 3rd => declared lost October 9th, approval of reimbursement on October 14th, and check arrived November 18th (within 30 business days). Seems like a pretty reasonable turn around all things considered, especially compared to some bag claims I've seen get dragged out.

One thing stands out in OP's post though, being told it is an $1800 limit for domestic. The baggage liability limits here https://www.united.com/en/us/baggage...r-checked-bags pretty clearly state $3800 for domestic. Given everything else that doesn't seem right in OP's post, wondering if they were actually dealing with UA, or someone posing as UA skimming their baggage claim.
jsloan, moondog, rch4u and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Dec 18, 2023 at 10:10 am
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 757FO
It will backfire on her. There is no way military personnel have to pay back for lost equipment. Anyone who has served will see that part of the story and call Bravo Sierra. Not sure what the OP's end goal is, but this story does not pass the sniff test. I hope whatever it is gets resolved and all parties are satisfied.
I feel bad for the SM, but what his spouse is doing now isn’t going to help him down the road. There is no way Uncle Sam would be asking the SM to repay the government for what was lost.
SPN Lifer, jsloan and 757FO like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Given this statement, I have little hope that OP will be back to provide any further information. Seems like a copy-pasta they're putting around on any airline related site they can find, but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

What is untimely about the initial process of issuing compensation? October 3rd => declared lost October 9th, approval of reimbursement on October 14th, and check arrived November 18th (within 30 business days). Seems like a pretty reasonable turn around all things considered, especially compared to some bag claims I've seen get dragged out.

One thing stands out in OP's post though, being told it is an $1800 limit for domestic. The baggage liability limits here https://www.united.com/en/us/baggage...r-checked-bags pretty clearly state $3800 for domestic. Given everything else that doesn't seem right in OP's post, wondering if they were actually dealing with UA, or someone posing as UA skimming their baggage claim.
Yes, it would be good if OP could indicate what phone number or other contact method was used for these interactions.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:28 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I’m going to temporarily close this pending a return by the OP to clarify and answer the questions that have been raised.

To the OP: Please contact me or one of the other United moderators should you have more information to post in the thread.

l etoile
UA moderator
SPN Lifer, jhayes_1780 and JPG3392 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.