Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United cutting first class meal service on flights less than 900 miles? (now "snack")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United cutting first class meal service on flights less than 900 miles? (now "snack")

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Just read this on VFTW:

https://viewfromthewing.com/united-a...t-class-meals/

So, historically, does this mean that if you purchased a flight (say, this last June, 2023) for Jan 17th, 2024, and it HAD advertised meal service, (ORD-DEN) that it will no longer offer this?
I'm guessing it won't. May make me want to re-schedule the flight so I have enough time to grab something at ORD as 50 minutes is not enough.

Live and let's fly seems to confirm (no exception routes anymore either):
https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...als-900-miles/
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Thank goodness it's a "premium" snack basket from 301-900 miles and flights under 300 miles will not even be getting pretzels. Customer feedback surely brought about these enhancements.

The return of Smisek!
dw, Xyzzy, higher_flyer and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:00 pm

While I think it’s an unfortunate change (especially given the lack of exception routes), it also means I’ll be spending less money on F tickets and buy-ups going forward, which is probably just as well. I’m sure there will be some people who argue that I’m being silly over an airline meal. But as in all transactions of this sort, it’s not personal, it’s just business. United doesn’t owe me a meal in F on an 850 mile (or any) flight, and I don’t owe them my business. They can do what they want, and I can do what I want.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Well, THAT didn't last long! 18 months to be exact:

Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

United Airlines bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

United Airlines will make several upgrades to its food and beverage offerings on June 1 as it shelves pandemic-era procedures.

The airline said Tuesday that it will reintroduce meal trays in domestic first class on all flights that are longer than 800 miles, replacing the packaged sandwich it has been serving during the pandemic. For mainline flights, the plated meals will include hot entrée choices, while cold plates will be on offer for United First customers on regional flights.
gayste likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Being based in DEN, this hits hard.
cawhite, US @ DEN, rch4u and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:10 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
With AA and DL sticking with 900 miles and almost no exception markets (I think DL is only doing some exception markets out of SEA), I am not surprised. Frankly, I was surprised UA was even doing exception markets like LGA-ORD when neither AA or DL were.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KabAir
While I think it’s an unfortunate change (especially given the lack of exception routes), it also means I’ll be spending less money on F tickets and buy-ups going forward, which is probably just as well. I’m sure there will be some people who argue that I’m being silly over an airline meal. But as in all transactions of this sort, it’s not personal, it’s just business. United doesn’t owe me a meal in F on an 850 mile (or any) flight, and I don’t owe them my business. They can do what they want, and I can do what I want.
Yeah can switch to AA and it's $100 cheaper with a meal, in F.
Unfortunately then I'm left with a huge FTC that I have to use eventually. Grrr
Or just suck it up and remember. Wonder how a nice hot breakfast sandwich and pancakes from McDonalds will travel ALB-ORD and sit around until I get on the plane (since there won't be enough time to get something in ORD). I doubt UA would let me change at no charge (it's a like $250 more) to switch to the later flight with a longer layover in ORD? ha!

Worse things in life I'm sure, but I'm liking your last statement.
WVmike likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
My most frequent domestic route: IAD-FLL just made it at 901 miles
coolbeans202, uanj, jdawg and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
More money for Kirby and less work for FAs. You have to look at this from United's side, get it?

I am with KabAir. Relationship is all transactional. I am flying 40K+ BIS in the first few weeks of 2024 with United over 20 some dirt cheap flights.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So this is impacting flights from 801-900 miles and aligning with the competition?

Sucks for those in that narrow range. Wonder how many of UA daily flights fit in this range?
WVmike and PLeblond like this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So this is impacting flights from 801-900 miles and aligning with the competition?

Sucks for those in that narrow range. Wonder how many of UA daily flights fit in this range?
On an arbitrary day next year, I count 54 flights (include both directions) for the DEN-LAX/IAH/ORD route MatthewLAX highlighted.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...________AZgBAg
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
On an arbitrary day next year, I count 54 flights (include both directions) for the DEN-LAX/IAH/ORD route MatthewLAX highlighted.

There were a more due to outstations from various hubs (but many of those are UX and not hot meals anyways.

This is out of nearly 5,000 UA flights == probably 4,000--ish domestic

As commented the DEN folks will be hit the most

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 14, 2023 at 3:12 pm
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There were a more due to outstations from various hubs (but many of those are UX and not hot meals anyways.

This is out of nearly 5,000 UA flights == probably 4,000--ish domestic

As commented the DEN folks will be hit the most
Presumably UX cold meals are getting cut as well? This is a big no matter which way you slice it. Three wrongs don't make a right.
WVmike likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
My most frequent domestic route: IAD-FLL just made it at 901 miles
Waiting for the thread when the distance for IAD-FLL gets “recalculated”…
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
KirbyKutbacks continue. And he has the nerve to claim United is best in class. Did he train under the Soviet propaganda dept.?
roberto99, halls120, rch4u and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.