Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access Polaris/gate passes?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Lounge access Polaris/gate passes?

My 89 y.o. French mother-in-law will be flying to CDG from IAD in January in Polaris (bought as a Christmas present for her).
My wife and I will be accompanying her with gate passes.
Is there any way for us to get any type of lounge access at IAD, apart from just sending her into the Polaris lounge on her own while we wait outside?!
My MIL is moderately mobile, although we're considering requesting a wheelchair for her. She only speaks French.
FWIW, my wife and I are both gold.

Also, does anyone have recent experience with requesting gate passes at IAD, if so, were there any problems with doing that?

Thanks!

Last edited by starless; Dec 3, 2023 at 8:27 am Reason: (added question on gate passes)
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by starless
My 89 y.o. French mother-in-law will be flying to CDG from IAD in January in Polaris (bought as a Christmas present for her).
My wife and I will be accompanying her with gate passes.
Is there any way for us to get any type of lounge access at IAD, apart from just sending her into the Polaris lounge on her own while we wait outside?!
Without an appropriate BP / ticket, nope. And Polaris Lounge would require Polaris ticket. Gate Passes will not cut it. BTW, gate passes in the USA can be difficult to obtain. Varies by airport. Multiple gate passes could be tough.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:29 am
Original Poster

That would seem very harsh not to allow someone to accompany a confused 89 y.o. monolingual French woman to the gate.
She would have no idea about security screening, emigration, or even when to board. (And may not even find the gate.)
She has never lived outside France - she's just visiting us for a week, and we'll be with her on the flight to the US.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Consider buying a cheap domestic flight departing IAD later the same day as your MIL. That gets you airside if you can't get a gate pass.
narvik and Chemystery like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would seem very harsh not to allow someone to accompany a confused 89 y.o. monolingual French woman to the gate.
She would have no idea about security screening, emigration, or even when to board. (And may not even find the gate.)
She has never lived outside France - she's just visiting us for a week, and we'll be with her on the flight to the US.
Some might think that lounge access is the least concern when sending a confused 89 y.o. monolingual French woman on an INTL trip by herself. Would she be able to handle an irrops diversion say to Halifax?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Some might think that lounge access is the least concern when sending a confused 89 y.o. monolingual French woman on an INTL trip by herself. Would she be able to handle an irrops diversion say to Halifax?
This. Right here. I would never let my 92 year old grandmother fly alone. And she is built like a Soviet tank. Forget the longe access.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2023 at 11:05 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
This is a good reason to request wheelchair access. The wheelchair people will help her through security (there's no emigration) and bring her to the gate and help her board. None of that is tough and you can instruct her beforehand - you need your passport at security and boarding pass, and your flight boards at xx time. As a wheelchair person, she'll get to board in the first group.

On a CDG flight, at least some FAs will speak French so can help her as needed that way. Wheelchair person should also be able to bring her to Polaris lounge.

I would request wheelchair access, and if you can get a gate pass that's gravy.
FabCW, seanp7, starless and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If language is a serious concern, perhaps it would be better to book AF?
tcdtcd and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Well, there are two issues, one is regarding lounge access (which I thought would be a long shot), and being able to accompany her to the gate with gate passes, which from United's web site looked like it should be automatic.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...e/seniors.html

Since it's a direct flight, a diversion to a different airport, particularly outside France, would be exceptional.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
You are not getting Polaris lounge access. Period. Agree with the above - get gate passes or order special services.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...apart from just sending her into the Polaris lounge on her own while we wait outside?!...
Seems like your lounge access is more important than her comfort w/ a suggestion like this - she's not required to go into the Polaris lounge. You can host her at a restaurant on the concourse and be with her. Wouldn't that be better than sending her in alone?
tcdtcd, hhdl, chavala and 1 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 3, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
I easily got a gate pass in my local airport a few years ago when I sent my brothers and sister back to China. They do not speak any English as your MIL. OP, it would be reasonable to ask for a gate pass, instead of two passes.

Requesting a wheel chair is a great idea so that your MIL can visit Polaris lounge while you wait outside before boarding begins.

Good luck!
starless likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Seems like your lounge access is more important than her comfort w/ a suggestion like this - she's not required to go into the Polaris lounge. You can host her at a restaurant on the concourse and be with her. Wouldn't that be better than sending her in alone?
Lounge access would be nice if there was a way, but obviously we'll go a restaurant or bar otherwise!
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Your MIL would get Polaris Lounge access but could also get into a regular UC. And you could buy a day pass for a UC club? Granted, if it’s busy you can’t use the pass. But depending on the time of year . . . Maybe?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Your MIL would get Polaris Lounge access but could also get into a regular UC. And you could buy a day pass for a UC club? Granted, if it’s busy you can’t use the pass. But depending on the time of year . . . Maybe?
OP would need a ticket on *A or United in order to use a UC day pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.