Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

are award tickets upgraded to premium plus (R fare) upgradable to polaris ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

are award tickets upgraded to premium plus (R fare) upgradable to polaris ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My guess is no, but I'm not sure.

In the old days, a segment with 0 PQD would be ineligible for any kind of credit (such an award ticket rebooked into full Y during IRROPS). The credit system still needs to pull the coupon for the dollar amount, at which point it finds out it was an award.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:02 pm

Upgrade economy saver ("X") Premium Plus with cash, then upgrade to Polaris Business

Hi,

I know it is not possible to upgrade an economy saver award ("X") ticket using miles. It is possible to upgrade an economy saver award ticket to premium plus using cash, however. If I do this, what will my new fare type be? Will the new fare type be upgradeable to business with miles?

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hbcobra
Hi,

I know it is not possible to upgrade an economy saver award ("X") ticket using miles. It is possible to upgrade an economy saver award ticket to premium plus using cash, however. If I do this, what will my new fare type be? Will the new fare type be upgradeable to business with miles?

Thanks!
It's not supposed to be possible. In practice, it often does seem to be. If RN class is open, you might end up in it, but if not, you'll probably end up in O, A, or R, all of which seem to allow the use of a Mileage Upgrade Award. Note that co-pay will likely be required along with the miles.
uanj likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 5:59 pm

Semi-related to my post in another thread BUT if I book XN, pay for upgrade to R(N), does that kill my chance to later pay up to J? I know instrument upgrades are supposed to be gone but not so sure about cash.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:36 pm

Ive done this several times for my kids. I get them an X or XN ticket. The system then offers them a paid upgrade to Premium Plus mostly in R class. Then I apply PlusPoints and they are on the Polaris upgrade list. Weve been fortunate that most times they end up in Polaris, but at least theyre confirmed in Premium Plus.

I know this works online and most agents say they cant do it. But I had a technical issue a few weeks ago and at first the agent said it wouldnt work. But they were game to try and it worked for them too.

Not sure if it makes a difference but both my spouse and I are 1Ks and our kids are 1Ks as well as our Million Mile companions.

Finally, the kids got the award PQP and also the paid upgrade PQP, but no miles.

Good luck.
RobOnLI and uanj like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well thanks all. This appears to be fixed.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boat9781
Well thanks all. This appears to be fixed.
What has been fixed?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Starman
Another data point on this discussion. I recently bought Japan-SFO with a free award ticket (XN). Shortly after purchase I received an upgrade for cash offer to Premium Plus for $425, which I thought was a steal, so I accepted. To my surprise, this booked into R, which of course is the revenue fare bucket for Premium Plus. Using the app, I then applied 30 Plus Points and it permitted a waitlist to PZ, a further surprise.

About 5 days before the flight, PZ=2 appeared. I waited a day or two, and the waitlist did not clear. (Another common point of discussion here, namely waitlist failing to clear with PZ>0). Now for my foolish move: although I was sure the waitlist would ultimately clear, I removed the Plus Point upgrade request, thinking that I would immediately reapply it and it would clear into the open PZ space immediately. Sadly I got the message, "This ticket not eligible for upgrade," which of course is correct.I couldn't believe I tampered with an almost-sure thing and maneuvered myself out of Polaris! Tried again 2 hours later to apply the Plus Point upgrade to PZ, and it cleared immediately!

Conclusion: two of the phenomena discussed here still remain at least occasionally erratic: the PZ waitlist still does not always clear automatically when PZ>0, and XN to R with cash, followed by R to PZ with Plus Points, is still possible, at least at times.
If PZ opened up, wouldnt it be more cost effective to cancel the award and book in W?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
If PZ opened up, wouldnt it be more cost effective to cancel the award and book in W?
Not sure I follow. I spent $425 cash (which I believe is nonrefundable) to u/g the award to P+. The second u/g to J cost me nothing other than PlusPoints which I generally find tough to use, and thus assign little or no value. Thus in my view I got a Polaris transpac for $425, which is pretty darn good. How could purchasing W and then upgrading be a better deal?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:51 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I don't consider multiple days passing without a sweep to be "prompt."
I've seen this as well, more than once. I don't know that the sweep runs even daily on further out bookings (> 1 month). Suspect it's intended behavior.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Not sure I follow. I spent $425 cash (which I believe is nonrefundable) to u/g the award to P+. The second u/g to J cost me nothing other than PlusPoints which I generally find tough to use, and thus assign little or no value. Thus in my view I got a Polaris transpac for $425, which is pretty darn good. How could purchasing W and then upgrading be a better deal?
I assume you also used some miles (~50k?) and depending on how much the W fares are and how much you value your United miles, it may or may not be worth it.

Also I assumed the upgrade fee would be refundable if you cancelled the itinerary, but if not, perhaps ~50k miles and $425 + 30 PP is a good deal.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
I assume you also used some miles (~50k?) and depending on how much the W fares are and how much you value your United miles, it may or may not be worth it.

Also I assumed the upgrade fee would be refundable if you cancelled the itinerary, but if not, perhaps ~50k miles and $425 + 30 PP is a good deal.
Yes, although it was only 37.5K miles. And frankly I attach very little value to the miles as well, as I find them very difficult to use. My home base is SFO which of course is very elite heavy, so everyone is throwing miles at every itinerary, almost always to be disappointed.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
Adding an anecdotal example from today.

Saw a flight I'm taking this week that had PZ=1 with buy up to Premium Plus priced at $379 on an XN ticket with a lap infant. I bought the upgrade and tried to do it online and said it wasn't eligible for an upgrade using PP. This reservation has a confirmed upgrade to Polaris using the same method on the return, which I did 3 weeks ago.

I've had oddities with tickets with lap child, so I called (I know, I know, but I've done it without issue in the past with one agent saying explicitly that was allowed). She tried to push it through but said that the system won't let her proceed. Has there been a change made to their systems?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:07 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by jay526
Adding an anecdotal example from today.

Saw a flight I'm taking this week that had PZ=1 with buy up to Premium Plus priced at $379 on an XN ticket with a lap infant. I bought the upgrade and tried to do it online and said it wasn't eligible for an upgrade using PP. This reservation has a confirmed upgrade to Polaris using the same method on the return, which I did 3 weeks ago.

I've had oddities with tickets with lap child, so I called (I know, I know, but I've done it without issue in the past with one agent saying explicitly that was allowed). She tried to push it through but said that the system won't let her proceed. Has there been a change made to their systems?
What class of Premium Plus did it book into?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by stevenshev
What class of Premium Plus did it book into?
Booked into R, so that part did not change as before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.