Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Non-Rev Premium Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2023, 6:24 am
Original Poster

UA Non-Rev Premium Upgrades

Flying on a non-rev (family works for UA). We are Silver Elite. Are we eligible for upgrades? This is our first standby flight…
Old Nov 23, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
As a non-rev you will not get any of the benefits that come with being silver elite member. However if you are using the employee discount which is available to some non-revs you will get your silver benefits.

Good luck with the non-rev game and make sure you have a plan A,B,C,D….
chanp likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 6:54 am

Based on my personal experience as a non-rev passenger, I found myself at the very end of the upgrade list. This might not be the same for everyone, but it's worth noting that I held a gold status at that time. Regarding other perks or upgrades, it's better to keep expectations minimal. Although I had access to the lounge due to my membership, I was quite aware that my chances of getting on any flights were slim. Humorously, it seemed more likely for in-cabin pets to receive an upgrade before me. That being said, securing an upgrade as a silver member is quite an uncommon occurrence anyway.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Can't non-rev's pay extra to get on the waitlist for PP/Polaris/First?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VRFast
Yes they can do that but they will still be at the bottom of the waitlist and status doesn't come into play. All revenue upgrades will be put in first before any non-revs. I've been moved up, or I guess offered to move up, when other revenue tickets declined to take their upgrade.
SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by LMG0910
Based on my personal experience as a non-rev passenger, I found myself at the very end of the upgrade list. This might not be the same for everyone, but it's worth noting that I held a gold status at that time. Regarding other perks or upgrades, it's better to keep expectations minimal. Although I had access to the lounge due to my membership, I was quite aware that my chances of getting on any flights were slim. Humorously, it seemed more likely for in-cabin pets to receive an upgrade before me. That being said, securing an upgrade as a silver member is quite an uncommon occurrence anyway.
It's funny, because on an AA flight a cello was upgraded, but its owner was not.

Then again, the instrument should have been in a window seat, and it was not. The solution was to put it in First.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Shellhead
Flying on a non-rev (family works for UA). We are Silver Elite. Are we eligible for upgrades? This is our first standby flight…
Originally Posted by VRFast
MP status does not apply to non-rev travel.

Not all pass classes are eligible for upgrade so it depends on what type of pass you're using. In any case, you must be LISTED in the higher cabin in order to be on the upgrade list. If you are listed for economy you will not be considered for an open seat in a higher cabin and the gate agent can't change it. There is a fee for upgrading that is either paid at time of listed, then refunded when you don't get upgraded, or payroll deducted from the employees check after the travel is completed.

On most days, and most flights, non-revs don't have much of a chance of an upgrade. I was #40 on the list on my commute on a 737 a couple of weeks ago. I think I've only gotten it once this year and I always list for FC. That was on an E175 which, of course, has the best F to Y ratio for upgrades.
VRFast, wrp96 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA General member
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It's funny, because on an AA flight a cello was upgraded, but its owner was not.

Then again, the instrument should have been in a window seat, and it was not. The solution was to put it in First.
Did the cello use an instrument-supported upgrade?
Old Nov 23, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by jtkohl
Nothing is free without strings attached.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: hahaha
I guess this is tangentially relevant, but how do I put my FFP# on my nonrev flight, tomorrow? Is there a place to do it on the app? I didn't spot anything during OLCI

I'll probably just list my AC*G because UA*S will do nothing according to this thread (I'm very minimally aware of my priority level, and that any waitlist tiebreaker at my priority level isn't swayed by status of any type)
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1
I guess this is tangentially relevant, but how do I put my FFP# on my nonrev flight, tomorrow? Is there a place to do it on the app? I didn't spot anything during OLCI

I'll probably just list my AC*G because UA*S will do nothing according to this thread (I'm very minimally aware of my priority level, and that any waitlist tiebreaker at my priority level isn't swayed by status of any type)
Good question for your employee sponsor. But you can't add a FF# on a non-rev reservation. The FF# field is used for your pass priority.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:21 pm

Programs: hahaha
Thanks. I'll just remember to pack my physical *G card, then =)
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by jtkohl
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Nothing is free without strings attached.
Take a bow.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by asovse1
Thanks. I'll just remember to pack my physical *G card, then =)
but that card means nothing as a non-rev.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by CALMSP
but that card means nothing as a non-rev.
Not necessarily. Star Alliance lounge access policy expressly permits nonrev travelers with Star Gold status access to Star Alliance lounges. Ref: https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

-FlyerBeek
asovse1 and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.