Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Business to Economy refunding gone bad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

I had booked a business fare on a redeye SFO-EWR. The plane had mechanical issues and I was given the option to switch to an economy seat on the next flight. I was told I would receive the fare difference back between the business leg and the lowest (I verified this point) economy ticket. To my disappointment, when I was refunded, the economy fare was based on a Y-class, the highest fare. My ticket had been purchased over a month in advance, so much lower fare classes were definitely available. But, UA seems unwilling to acknowledge their mistake here and give me the full difference. Thoughts on how to proceed? To me, this is a clear case of fraud and I even though I have almost a million miles for UA, I am at a point of calling it quits and changing carriers.
SJCPremier likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy LTP
What have you done so far in terms of escalating with customer service?

And who told you that the fare difference to cheapest economy would be refunded? Was that over the phone or in person at the service desk? Basically trying to see if you have proof it was said.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

I brought this up with customer care and they wrote that they believe their refund was correct. I spoke to the refunds department and they believe that they were correct to refund in the Y-fare class.

The agent on the phone before I switched to the other flight told me the cheapest economy fare would be refunded. Unfortunately, I have no way of accessing that recording and when I requested a copy of it just now, the agent did not know how to proceed.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 1:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The Carriage of Contract states
Rule 27 A. Ticket Refunds - Involuntary
3. When a Passenger holding a Ticket for a higher class of service between a point of Origin and a Destination is required by the carrier to use a lower class of service for any portion of such carriage the amount of refund will be as follows:
  1. FOR UNRESTRICTED PREMIUM FARES: 50% of the prorated fare for that segment plus applicable variable taxes and fees.
  2. FOR SPECIAL AND RESTRICTED FARES: the lowest applicable fare at the time the ticket was purchased or the difference between the upgradeable and non-upgradeable fare type.
  3. This section does not apply to Passengers who purchase upgrades through miles and/or cash. If a Passenger pays for an upgrade that he does not receive, any recovery is limited to the amount paid for the upgrade in miles and/or cash.
You need to quote this rule (27.A.3.b) and stress it was involuntary

Give UA one more chance and then DOT complaint (but that will take at least a month or two.
uanj likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You need to quote this rule (27.A.3.b) and stress it was involuntary
Was it? "I was given the option to switch to an economy seat on the next flight" Sounds voluntary to me--switch to economy on the next flight or wait for first class on a later flight.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy LTP
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Was it? "I was given the option to switch to an economy seat on the next flight" Sounds voluntary to me--switch to economy on the next flight or wait for first class on a later flight.
Right. This sounds voluntary. And the refund provided is the standard one provided by United. The key is what was said to the OP over the phone by a United agent. He needs to escalate to a supervisor who can try to pull the recording.

In these circumstances, i would typically ask for then to put me on the next flight where Business was available as the refund is always BS.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 2:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I would certainty argue this was involuntary with the mechanical cancellation plus the agent stating refund would be based "lowest (I verified this point) economy ticket."

Using that there is a future flight with business space ( a day, a week, ... later) make this voluntary is bogus.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by AnkSFO
Right. This sounds voluntary. And the refund provided is the standard one provided by United. The key is what was said to the OP over the phone by a United agent. He needs to escalate to a supervisor who can try to pull the recording.

In these circumstances, i would typically ask for then to put me on the next flight where Business was available as the refund is always BS.
What I've been doing is asking for the full refund and booking a flight on another carrier. I usually come out ahead this way if I am forced into Y. If I can get into J on another carrier, I usually have to pay more out of pocket.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
And if the next flight is 3 days, 4 days, a week later?
Old Nov 8, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Regardless of the choice you made, it was triggered by an event outside of your control: a mechanical issue. Since UA can never force you to board any flight, including your original flight in a lower class of service, could they say that any downgrade is voluntary? That would be an absurd interpretation of what voluntary means in this situation.
SPN Lifer, chessman and AJNEDC like this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The change itself is involuntary due to the cancelation. You can argue that the choice to move to economy was voluntary (although even that really depends on when the next available business class seat was), but that doesn't change the fact that the entire thing is considered an INVOL change - if not for the cancelation then the OP wouldn't have had to make the choice to downgrade.
SPN Lifer and AJNEDC like this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I have a friend who was flying in a paid F fare last month from LAX MCO. They switched form a 737900 to an 800. 8 fewer seats. He was rebooked in E+, given a full refund, plus a 1000.00 travel credit. Not a bad deal.

In reading the original post, oftentimes the F fare when in P, or C, etc, is actually less than Y. I can't remember when I've actuallyseen a full Y fare offered for sale. They are usually outrageously high.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would certainty argue this was involuntary with the mechanical cancellation plus the agent stating refund would be based "lowest (I verified this point) economy ticket."
Originally Posted by docbert
The change itself is involuntary due to the cancelation. You can argue that the choice to move to economy was voluntary (although even that really depends on when the next available business class seat was), but that doesn't change the fact that the entire thing is considered an INVOL change - if not for the cancelation then the OP wouldn't have had to make the choice to downgrade.
OP didn't say cancellation, he said mechanical issues.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:34 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by docbert
This is also how I see it. The first change is involuntary and that is all that matters. Failing to accept a later business flight does not magically make the downgrade voluntary.
uanj and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I have a friend who was flying in a paid F fare last month from LAX MCO. They switched form a 737900 to an 800. 8 fewer seats. He was rebooked in E+, given a full refund, plus a 1000.00 travel credit. Not a bad deal.

In reading the original post, oftentimes the F fare when in P, or C, etc, is actually less than Y. I can't remember when I've actuallyseen a full Y fare offered for sale. They are usually outrageously high.
Generally they are used for fare construction purposes. Off the top of my head in combination with J or F fares. IRRC the delta between those fares and J fares were not that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.