Wiki Posts
Search

777-200: The Queen of the Breakdown

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2023, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM
777-200: The Queen of the Breakdown

Small data sample but my last 3 flights, all on 772s, suffered major mechanical delays or cancellations. Things like return to gate because an electrical panel fell out of the ceiling during taxi. I am really wondering if they are past their prime or are not getting the care they need. I know all planes break down but every time is a bit much.

Last edited by djmp; Nov 5, 2023 at 4:45 pm
Old Nov 5, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by djmp
Small data sample but my last 3 flights, all on 772s, suffered major mechanical delays or cancellations. Things like return to gate because an electrical panel fell out of the ceiling during taxi. I am really wondering if they are past their prime or are not getting the care they need. I actually try to book away from them now.
777-200...but which ones, exactly?
United has a few versions of this bird. Or do you mean all of them?
https://sites.google.com/site/united...ing?authuser=0

Added:
I probably have more than 60% of all my 1.8mio miles flying with United on the GE powered 772 (aircraft # 3001 through 3022) and I have only very, very rarely come across any mechanical issues.
drewguy and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Seems the the ER ones from ~2000 to me. The PMUA ones.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly, all of 777-200 mechanical I experience are out of IAH - somehow PMCO related?
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
777-200...but which ones, exactly?
United has a few versions of this bird. Or do you mean all of them?
https://sites.google.com/site/united...ing?authuser=0

Added:
I probably have more than 60% of all my 1.8mio miles flying with United on the GE powered 772 (aircraft # 3001 through 3022) and I have only very, very rarely come across any mechanical issues.
The vast majority of my 2MM have been on the 772, mostly TATL, and it’s been reliable service for the most part until recent times.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by djmp
The vast majority of my 2MM have been on the 772, mostly TATL, and it’s been reliable service for the most part until recent times.
Yeah, good to know.
And I guess you're right, they are getting a bit long in the tooth by now, the oldest ones being 28 years old.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
A few weeks ago my wife and I were on 777's each way LAX-EWR, and they really did look run down. I had one of those "good Lord I really am getting old moments" when I realized I still think of the 777 as a new-ish plane because my wife was on one LAX-DEN the first day United put them into service and then I realized that was 30 years ago. I was relating the story to a buddy of mine who works for Boeing and he was chuckling like, "Yeah, the 777 is definitely not a new plane."

That being said, I've been on what must have been equally old 767's in the past couple of years that he clearly been spiffed up and taken care of. I just think the 777 fleet (at least the little bit of it I saw) needs a fair amount of TLC.
djmp, wrp96, PLeblond and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
That being said, I've been on what must have been equally old 767's in the past couple of years that he clearly been spiffed up and taken care of.
Obviously not DL 767s.

I have great memories of UA 1051, IAD-DEN, on the new 777 every few weeks. In C almost every time. And if not, in a 2-5-2 coach arrangement that got you an empty seat in a 2-pod half the time.

And Channel 9.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
A few weeks ago my wife and I were on 777's each way LAX-EWR, and they really did look run down. I had one of those "good Lord I really am getting old moments" when I realized I still think of the 777 as a new-ish plane because my wife was on one LAX-DEN the first day United put them into service and then I realized that was 30 years ago. I was relating the story to a buddy of mine who works for Boeing and he was chuckling like, "Yeah, the 777 is definitely not a new plane."

That being said, I've been on what must have been equally old 767's in the past couple of years that he clearly been spiffed up and taken care of. I just think the 777 fleet (at least the little bit of it I saw) needs a fair amount of TLC.
UA"s first 777 was LHR IAD ORD, and return. That was for a few weeks at least. I flew it that week. Took Amtrak from NYC to Washington to pick it up at IAD to ORD. Flew in Y, and told FA's I came down to fly it in the first week. They brought me a first class meal - yes, First had a meal back then - IAD ORD> I was young. I'm not anymore! I didn't own a cell phone when I flew that flight.
djmp, DenverBrian and drgreg like this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I had a 29.1 y/o 752 PMCO bird this weekend. Getting max value out of these old planes...
VRFast and rch4u like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
It's most likely just perception, but I feel like the GEs should be in better shape simply because CO was less likely to skimp on the optional PM for the first 66% of their lives. Not to mention that the PWs were out-of-service for several months.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
UA"s first 777 was LHR IAD ORD, and return.
I had a colleague who flew specially to be on the first flight to LHR. He was mocked ruthlessly but it awakened my inner Avgeek and now I would be jealous.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have flown PMUA 772s every year since it was introduced except the the year when PW engines had issues and required lengthy period of FAA certification.

I personally prefer the PMUA 772 for its air hoses and the roaring engine sound during take-off.

Regarding mechanical issues, perhaps it was just my luck, I only had one mechanical delays on the PMUA birds since 1995 but had a few on PMCO GE-powered 772s. 777s are fine aircrafts. Looking at my spreadsheets, I have flow them on BA, BR, NH, SQ, CA, AC, CX, TK, LX, DL, CZ, MU, OZ and KE. 777 is still the best selling wide-body aircrafts in history. Hopefully the 777X will continue its legacy.
tcdtcd, rch4u and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:05 am

A few weeks ago my wife and I were on 777's each way LAX-EWR, and they really did look run down. I had one of those "good Lord I really am getting old moments" when I realized I still think of the 777 as a new-ish plane because my wife was on one LAX-DEN the first day United put them into service and then I realized that was 30 years ago.
I have a similar, long-lingering impression, because of my first trip on a trip-7. The airframe was so much quieter! I could hear a newspaper rustling on the other side of the cabin! And that gives you an idea of how long ago it was ...
DJ_Iceman and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
B753 and B772 fleets both having a lot of problems lately leading to cancellations and severe delays.

B77W having even more cancellations, but a lot less severe delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.