Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 January UA Expiring PlusPoint Giveaway Thread (Gratis Offers Only) no discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 January UA Expiring PlusPoint Giveaway Thread (Gratis Offers Only) no discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2023, 5:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

As previous done with Trial UA Expiring PlusPoints Giveaway Thread (Gratis Offers Only), the UA Moderators will again provide a place to offer free expiring PlusPoints, as done in a couple of other forums, such as AA, AC, ... . The feedback from the trial was generally positive. The Moderators thank those that made the offers for their generosity.

The main focus this time will be expiring 31 January 2024 PlusPoints. We will close the thread after 31 Jan
uary 2024. Until then, there with be a limited lifting of the restrictions in Please Do Not Post Offers/Solicitations for UA M+ Benefits in this Forum. to allow gratis offers of PlusPoints.

UA strictly forbids the exchange of PlusPoints in return for any consideration (other than karma?). As long as no consideration (money, miles, barter, ...) is involved there is no prohibition in gifting PlusPoints to another traveler (who is also bound by the same restrictions).

Rules

Any individual can post a willingness to gift PlusPoints, for free, without any compensation or consideration. Any attempt to charge for or make other arrangements other than absolutely free for such items should be reported to the Moderators and the offering post will be removed as a rules violation . See note about taxes.

Proposed offer format

Availability: xx PlusPoints
Expiration: XX/XX/XXXX Expiration should clearly be stated. Flight must occur prior to expiration
PlusPoint Type: Normal or GS
Requirements: as determined by the offerer / poster -- such as upgrade space must exists, domestic or international or both, to anyone or only to a FTer (perhaps signup date or posts count minimums), limits? on third parties / family / friends/ ..., UA flights only or LH/NH/CM flights also. .....The offerer can place any limitation they desire (within FT rules) on who is eligible.

Someone seeking such items would then PM the OP to check on availability, the open thread would not be used to discuss the offer(s). Any post requesting PlusPoints will be deleted and considered a forum rules violation.

There would be no other types of discussion or posts in this thread. Use Potential Giveaway Thread for Expiring UA items? for generic discussion of the concept.

The OP should edit their post once the offer is closed. It would not be proper (FT Rules violation) to PM the OP once the OP has declared the offer closed.

Before requesting, make sure your flight is eligible for PlusPoints (number of PlusPoints needed for your flight, flight occurs prior to expiration, only for select partners flights, restricted to just LH/NH/CM native flight numbers with significant fare limitations, and awards require GS PlusPoints).

Key considerations
Request should be made with sufficient time buffer realizing many (surprise!) are traveling or have many other commitments and responses may not be immediate. Close-in requests are likely to not be responded to.

The initial request should be complete -- PNR, flight, date, last name, other pertent information to minimze the the back and forth. Offerer can decline to respond on incomplete requests.

The requester would be responsible for any taxes, such as UK’s APD or the equivalents charged by any other countries, such as Germany, and France. How this is handled is up to the two involved parties. Refunds on failed waitlisted requests should also be discussed. The offerer can decline those situations.

Similarly, the offerer can decline third-party requests for friends or family.

The requester of PlusPoints items will have to provide certain personal data on their trip for PlusPoints application. PNR, segment(s), last name of passenger,....

While UA does not prohibit such transfers, if challenged by UA, both parties should agree upon an explanation or UA may conclude this is an infringement of the rules.

Realize the offer is being made publicly, and there is no way to prevent the offer from being visible to anyone including non-FT members (or UA). There should be no public discussion of the recipient or their travel details in the public forum.

The Moderators will take no role, endorsement or responsibility for these transactions. Your offering or accepting participating is 100% at your own risk. The Moderators only role will be to make sure there are no inappropriate post, or respond to offerers that feel the process is being abused.

Note this program is for just UA PlusPoints, not miles, ETCs, other upgrade certificates, UC passes, ..... just PlusPoints.

UA Moderator Team

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 12, 2023 at 9:00 pm
Old Nov 4, 2023, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Be considerate of the generosity of those making these offers, minimize the emails / PMs and minimize / avoid flight changes. Remember this is an act of kindness, not an obligation.

If interested in giving an alert when an offer is posted, subscribe to the thread. Desktop App - Go to Thread Tools, and select "Subscribe"; Mobile app -- Go to top of the thread and and select "Subscribe"

Fair warning, the rules in post #1 will be strictly enforced.

Any discussion should be in the original thread , Potential Giveaway Thread for Expiring UA items?, and not here.

The UA Moderator Team
SPN Lifer, Kannai, FTDDD and 5 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 5, 2023 at 2:58 pm
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:04 am
Community Director Emerita

Availability: 40 PlusPoints
Expiration: 31 Jan 2024
PlusPoint Type: Normal
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:45 am

I have several requests already. 20 points are going to someone who gave me certs all the way back in 2012. I've always seen him posting solid helpful information. I'll need to look at the other requests and see if someone can use 20 PP. It's possible that they each need 40.

I hope my gifting will inspire others to give if they have points that will go unused. One was asking for an elderly mother. I'm a sucker for folks looking out for parents - which is not to say I wouldn't want to pop myself a cabin forward. I think he needs 40 PP which I won't have after gifting 20, so I sure hope someone else can come forward with their own gift.

I'm learning as I go. I've gone back to the first person for his last name. I'm a novice at using these. For information for others, both the PNR and last name are needed. And I appreciate those who were discrete and are waiting to see if I can gift to them before providing that information.

I've just gifted 20 of my 40. My other requests required 40. My giftee is hoping to clear from coach into premium economy on a long haul international flight.

Get in touch if you can use 20.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 20, 2023 at 4:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive post by same member
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:11 am

I have now applied my remaining 20 PP to another international itinerary. Best of luck to both recipients. I hope the upgrades clear.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Availability: 30 PlusPoints
PlusPoint Type: 1K

I am following Carol's lead! And I prefer giving these PPs to a deserving member of the US military and thank you for your service!
Old Nov 28, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Availability: 610 PlusPoints
PlusPoint Type: GS

US military, FlyerTalk members and immediate family only…

Please DM me w/ 1) last name, and 2) reservation confirmation number.

Last edited by laughinlab2001; Nov 28, 2023 at 12:39 pm
Old Nov 28, 2023, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by laughinlab2001

Extraordinary generosity. Massive kudos to you.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Originally Posted by laughinlab2001

I allocated almost 700 PP to the FlyerTalk community (and immediate family), best of luck to those of you on the waitlist and congratulations to everyone else who cleared immediately. Safe travels to everyone, may you always have fair wind and following seas!
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

In a desire not to have offers buried in discussion, this thread is a no discussion thread. There is a separate thread for discussion
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There would be no other types of discussion or posts in this thread. Use Potential Giveaway Thread for Expiring UA items? for generic discussion of the concept.

.UA Moderator Team
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Any discussion should be in the original thread , Potential Giveaway Thread for Expiring UA items?, and not here.

The UA Moderator Team
Old Dec 14, 2023, 12:21 am

Availability: 210 PlusPoints

Prioritizing long haul and available upgrades.

Edit: Now out of plus points. Confirmed and waitlisted two long haul flight 😀

Last edited by Sovietaced; Dec 14, 2023 at 12:17 pm
Old Dec 14, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Availability: 140 PlusPoints

Ok, this blew up (I got hardly any requests when the stuff was expiring in July!). Lots of stuff waitlisted but I'm going to hold off on any more requests until we get past the flight dates.

Last edited by JAaronT; Dec 14, 2023 at 7:25 pm
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Availability: 0
Expiration: Jan. 31, 2024
PlusPoints Type: 1K

Prioritizing long haul and upgrade available right now (PZ).

ETA: Wow those went fast. I did prioritize open PZ, sorry to everyone else, and happy holidays to all!

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 21, 2023 at 7:25 pm
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Availability: 640 PlusPoints 0

Prioritizing US military, FT members/immediate family and long hauls. Please DM me w/ 1) last name, and 2) reservation confirmation number. Hopefully folks can use these through the holidays before expiry.

Updated - that's all folks, hopefully all went to good homes/brightened a few holiday trips.

Last edited by telemark27; Dec 26, 2023 at 9:08 am
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:07 pm

Availability: 40 PlusPoints
Expiration: 31 Jan 2024 (so you must fly before then)

Last edited by ecl88; Jan 3, 2024 at 2:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.