Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best way to get business award fits dtw to india

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus

Hello all.
I usually generate 500k to 700k Mileageplus points every yr for my business and like to use them for my yearly trip (2 pax) to India.
I would have thought that shd be enough miles but I can only get a one way for 2 people for about 500k points and that too from dtw to ewr (where ive been screwed by delays more times than I have fingers!) And then to India (DEL). This has been the route I've been forced to go for several years now.

My question is, is there a better/ cheaper way to use 500k mileage plus points to go from dtw to del or bom in business class while avoiding all 3 nyc airports and also having a max of 2 stops?

Thanks from this first time poster to flyertalk!
Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by nymi
Hello all.
I usually generate 500k to 700k Mileageplus points every yr for my business and like to use them for my yearly trip (2 pax) to India.
I would have thought that shd be enough miles but I can only get a one way for 2 people for about 500k points and that too from dtw to ewr (where ive been screwed by delays more times than I have fingers!) And then to India (DEL). This has been the route I've been forced to go for several years now.

My question is, is there a better/ cheaper way to use 500k mileage plus points to go from dtw to del or bom in business class while avoiding all 3 nyc airports and also having a max of 2 stops?

Thanks from this first time poster to flyertalk!
Your best bet is to hope Lufthansa makes space available to United on DTW-FRA-DEL/BOM.

Awards on EWR-DEL/BOM are rare.
Jaytraveller likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Hello all.

My question is, is there a better/ cheaper way to use 500k mileage plus points to go from dtw to del or bom in business class while avoiding all 3 nyc airports and also having a max of 2 stops?...
While 88K per person per oneway is available at times and 155/175K is more common, much depends on the time of the year and less restrictions on routing as the NYC airports have the most connectivity to India.
With cash prices in the $10K+ region and high load factors, this is not a bargain route. But with some flexibility it can be done.
Jaytraveller likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Possibly the hardest routes to find awards right now given the Russia limitations. LH is you best bet, but finding these will not be easy.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
DTW-YYZ/YUL-DEL is another option, assuming AC has award seats available.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hirohito888
DTW-YYZ/YUL-DEL is another option, assuming AC has award seats available.
good point, there is also the LHR option with AC and UA to get there - lots of award availability to LHR these days
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Thanks...how to get LH business awards?

Thanks to all the replies. I feel better (?) that this is a pricey segment and this is the best I can get.
I don't see LH award on united...even 2 weeks out. How does one get LH rewards with mileageplus?
thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Thanks to all the replies. I feel better (?) that this is a pricey segment and this is the best I can get.
I don't see LH award on united...even 2 weeks out. How does one get LH rewards with mileageplus?
thanks.
You get a Lufthansa award on the United website, just like a United award. It’s possible there’s just no space available.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks.
2 weeks out is likely going to be too close in to find good deals. Try booking at least 2 months out and 30 day calendar view. You can see awards from 88K as below.

Use lowest Business class flights for flight sort order.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: UA
If you are willing to fly Air India, well, there is frequently Air India award availability in J and F. Check SFO-DEL.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 7:28 am

TK will be starting service to DTW in roughly two weeks HOWEVER there appears to be inconsistencies with the number of bags you can bring with an award ticket booked using UA so make sure to triple check everything before you depart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.