Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do you think any UA hubs will be eliminated or added? If so, which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2023, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

Purely speculating on this rainy Monday night (posted a similar thread in AA's forum because I'm bored). Always fascinating watching how airlines change/add/eliminate hubs every now and then!

Also, ORD/IAH seems on equal ground for UA as their top hubs, but do you think there's a smaller inch given to ORD as UA's primary hub, or do you think IAH is considered their primary hub?
WheelsUpGal likes this.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Oct 30, 2023 at 6:54 pm
Old Oct 30, 2023, 6:53 pm

ORD top hub? Did you forget about New Jersey/Newark.
AugustusM and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
In no particular order, I think these are United's most important hubs:

ORD (Midwest)
DEN (Mountain West)
IAH (South)
EWR (East)
SFO (West)

IAD is also important but I was trying to pick one from each region, and if only one, EWR over IAD.

That would leave LAX and GUM. I can write a long story for each, and I know United considers importance for each, but when push comes to shove, if in a hypothetical, these two would be the front runners for de-hubbing.
​​​​​​
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
With the demise of CLE, all the hubs now serve a purpose other than being a reliever and/or UA has a very strong competitive position in a significant market. LAX is probably the weakest, but I don't see it going away.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, HkCaGu and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Barring a major economic meltdown, United won't be closing any hubs.

Worth noting, though, that United's best performing hubs have been DEN, ORD and IAH over the last few years, plus EWR. IAD, SFO and LAX haven't quite made it back to pre-pandemic levels. But that's not to say any of them are going away.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Why is there any reason to beleive UA would close / downgrade any mainline hub?

There have been concerns about LAX but UA has made heavy recent investments in the LAX UC and Polaris Lounge. And number of flights have been increasing. The LAX market is too big to downgrade.

None of this seem even remotely likely.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I would say none.

It is hard to find one to close even if it is just speculation.

I must admit I knew little of DEN until my recent travels there. What is fortress UA has built there! UA’s dominance at DEN is impressive.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:32 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
None - all of UA's hubs make sense at this point. the very most aggressive action I see is a retrenching at LAX given it's highly competitive, but DEN, IAH, IAD, SFO and EWR are true fortress hubs with network logic and in the case of everything but DEN high degrees of paid premium traffic. And even without the structural economic advantage, DEN is apparently the best performing hub, so they're doing something right there too.
halls120 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Why is there any reason to beleive UA would close / downgrade any mainline hub?

There have been concerns about LAX but UA has made heavy recent investments in the LAX UC and Polaris Lounge. And number of flights have been increasing. The LAX market is too big to downgrade.

None of this seem even remotely likely.
I believe the OP said they were just bored and speculating for the sake of conversation.
lhrsfo, nancypants and nexus7556 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 (Post # 1)
Do you think any UA hubs will be eliminated? If so, which one?
No. None.
Bear96, USA_flyer and rmadisonwi like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by EWR764
Barring a major economic meltdown, United won't be closing any hubs.

Worth noting, though, that United's best performing hubs have been DEN, ORD and IAH over the last few years, plus EWR. IAD, SFO and LAX haven't quite made it back to pre-pandemic levels. But that's not to say any of them are going away.
I think a better question would be does it make sense for United to create another hub.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Also, ORD/IAH seems on equal ground for UA as their top hubs, but do you think there's a smaller inch given to ORD as UA's primary hub, or do you think IAH is considered their primary hub?
UA @ EWR had about 30M passengers in 2022 while ORD was closer to 25M. IAH was also about 30M.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I think a better question would be does it make sense for United to create another hub.
Was about to ask this . . . Southeast would likely make the most sense to do it in. (Other than rehubbing somewhere internationally - HND and LHR might be candidates)
SPN Lifer and jpezaris like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by drewguy
Was about to ask this . . . Southeast would likely make the most sense to do it in. (Other than rehubbing somewhere internationally - HND and LHR might be candidates)
I was thinking the southeast too. I have wondered about LHR and the lack of *A carriers there. LHR resembles a hub; it just lacks flights to US non-hubs.
VRFast likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
At LAX, Scott Kirby has repeatedly stated UA’s desire for a portion of the T9 gates, which have now broken ground and should be finished before the 2028 Olympics here. Losing PMCO and PMUA’s gates in T6 was a huge strategic (boneheaded) mistake of a certain predecessor, so UA currently doesn’t have much space to grow LAX as a hub even if it wants to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.