Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Too risky to cancel and rebook sold out flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

I have one last biz trip this year and I’ve made some adjustments to my itinerary to try and earn the last 3200 or so PQPs I need for 1K. I had the genius idea to book ICN>NRT>EWR which should have done it easily but I didn’t realize that Amex GBT booked the itinerary through ANA and not United. The 1,500 cap on PQPs through partners is going to screw me up.

I chatted with Amex and asked them to rebook through United but the agent told me it was too risky since there were no other seats available in Business. They seemed to be concerned that the seat wouldn’t be returned to inventory in real time and that someone else might take it before I can rebook.

So, the options I think I have now are:

1. Call United Reservations and see if an agent can do this for me on the phone.

2. Live with the fact that I screwed this up and settle for Platinum next year.

3. Figure out some other way to earn about 1,600 PQPs by 12/31.

4. Ditch the whole plan and go back to my nonstop ICN>JFK itinerary on Korean Air that I haven’t canceled yet.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by pnutbutrsangwich
I have one last biz trip this year and I’ve made some adjustments to my itinerary to try and earn the last 3200 or so PQPs I need for 1K. I had the genius idea to book ICN>NRT>EWR which should have done it easily but I didn’t realize that Amex GBT booked the itinerary through ANA and not United. The 1,500 cap on PQPs through partners is going to screw me up.

I chatted with Amex and asked them to rebook through United but the agent told me it was too risky since there were no other seats available in Business. They seemed to be concerned that the seat wouldn’t be returned to inventory in real time and that someone else might take it before I can rebook.

So, the options I think I have now are:

1. Call United Reservations and see if an agent can do this for me on the phone.

2. Live with the fact that I screwed this up and settle for Platinum next year.

3. Figure out some other way to earn about 1,600 PQPs by 12/31.

4. Ditch the whole plan and go back to my nonstop ICN>JFK itinerary on Korean Air that I haven’t canceled yet.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
is NRT to EWR on United metal? If so would you not get more PQPs than the 1500 cap?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If on ANA ticket stock, UA can not do this

Is this the only routing that works?
What about EWR-SFO-ICN?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
NRT-EWR is a UA flight, there wouldn't be a 1,500 PQP cap. PQP would depend on what you paid and what portion of that is allocated to the UA segment.

Other options would be to rebook ICN-SFO-EWR, as suggested above. Or GMP-HND-EWR on NH/UA.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If on ANA ticket stock, UA can not do this

Is this the only routing that works?
What about EWR-SFO-ICN?
Yeah that route would work too and there’s inventory, but I was also sort of hoping to hit up NRT to pick up some souvenirs for the kids on the way home.

Thanks for the info on the ticket too. I guess I could try calling Amex GBT and hope that an agent on the phone would be more effective than the person manning the chat.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
NRT-EWR is a UA flight, there wouldn't be a 1,500 PQP cap. PQP would depend on what you paid and what portion of that is allocated to the UA segment.

Other options would be to rebook ICN-SFO-EWR, as suggested above. Or GMP-HND-EWR on NH/UA.
It is indeed on UA metal. So would that mean that I’m good? The fare is well over 4K.

Both legs are booked on the same itinerary through ANA and funny enough neither leg is on ANA equipment. It’s Asiana from ICN to NRT and UA from NRT to EWR. Really weird.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 27, 2023 at 7:29 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: *
It is indeed on UA metal. So would that mean that I’m good? The fare is well over 4K.

Will definitely get you more than 1500 as the bulk of the fare will be the United leg but not sure if there is a way to tell ahead of time how much PQP you will get. When is the trip? Why not take the trip and see what posts and if less than 3200 then see what you can do to meet the shortfall (assuming trip not end of December).
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
Will definitely get you more than 1500 as the bulk of the fare will be the United leg but not sure if there is a way to tell ahead of time how much PQP you will get. When is the trip? Why not take the trip and see what posts and if less than 3200 then see what you can do to meet the shortfall (assuming trip not end of December).
Good call. My trip is in about 2 weeks so I’ll be able to see the results well before the end of the year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I can't say if the NRT-EWR portion would earn you 3,200 PQP, I would expect it should on a $4,000 ticket though. You can go to your UA reservation, using PNR, and at the bottom under travelers details it should give you a PQP estimate.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Both legs are booked on the same itinerary through ANA and funny enough neither leg is on ANA equipment. It’s Asiana from ICN to NRT and UA from NRT to EWR. Really weird.
The UA segment will be by fare (as assigned by ANA) and the ICN-NRT will be by miles and capped. Calling UA might get you an estimate but this is only of those area it hard to get an accurate pre-flight number.

The ICN-NRT will be 200-500 PQPs depending on the fare class and NRT-NRT should be the bulk of the fare but I suspect you will in the low to mid 3,000 PQPs in total
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The UA segment will be by fare (as assigned by ANA) and the ICN-NRT will be by miles and capped. Calling UA might get you an estimate but this is only of those area it hard to get an accurate pre-flight number.

The ICN-NRT will be 200-500 PQPs depending on the fare class and NRT-NRT should be the bulk of the fare but I suspect you will in the low to mid 3,000 PQPs in total
Fingers crossed! As long as I can get up above 3000, I could conceivably get the last 500 on one of the United credit cards with the sign up bonus.

Thanks to all for the info shared here. It’s super helpful!
Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
I have no horse in this race, especially as an AA loyalist; however, I vehemently discourage option 2 in all cases but poverty. Never settle unless it's absolutely necessary!
ani90 and pnutbutrsangwich like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 12:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
If you’re booked in J full fare business class and you’re currently 1K status this will earn
2183 PQP
Old Oct 28, 2023, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tessy143
If you’re booked in J full fare business class and you’re currently 1K status this will earn
2183 PQP
That's not correct for this scenario. That earnings calculation is assuming the UA segment was booked as a bulk fare, but there's no indication that OP has such.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I agree with fumje. There is no statement this is a lower-earning "specialty ticket".
Old Oct 28, 2023, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
United.com should show how much this earns. Agreed that it 'should' be >$3k, but YMMV. 2 weeks ago I flew BOS-LHR/MAD-MUC-BOS. UA only allocated $700 for BOS-LHR (essentially the YQ and zero fare!) and the entire rest to MAD-MUC-BOS. Made no sense whatsoever on a $4500 ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.