Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United airlines adds mid-flight tapas service on longhaul polaris route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium

Some exciting changes coming to Polaris service!

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...edium=facebook
UNITED AIRLINES ADDS MID-FLIGHT TAPAS SERVICE ON LONGHAUL POLARIS ROUTE
United Airlines is changing up its Polaris business class meal service once again with a new service flow and the addition of a mid-flight tapas meal on a test route starting next month. There are also elements of the existing service that will be disappearing.

... This trial will begin on November 1, 2023 and occur only on the San Francisco – Singapore route (in both directions). It will also modify the way in which meals are served and eliminate popular desert items like the cheese plate and fruit tart.
  • A separate paper tapas menu card will be boarded for passengers to select their mid-flight offerings
  • It will placed on the console table with the original paper menu
  • The completed card with preferences will be collected during meal orders or any time before the mid-flight service
  • The mid-flight service will formally occur at the midpoint of the flight as based on flight time
  • Meals will be served on a tray and include four tapas style items (two hot and two cold options) with cutlery, a cocktail snack, condiments, packaged dessert, and choice of beverage
The tapas will replace the grilled cheese sandwich and soup that are currently served on flights over 10 hours as a mid-flight snack.
SPN Lifer, seanp7, chavala and 3 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 27, 2023 at 1:02 pm Reason: Posting trimmed to comply with FT copyrighted material requirement
Old Oct 27, 2023, 1:17 pm

Probably this

3rd meal for longhauls
Old Oct 27, 2023, 1:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
This sounds like execution of the survey that was sent out a few weeks ago. I'm hard pressed to think they took the results that quick and are executing on them. Personally, I like the idea, but they're cutting to much to make it make sense. First, it should be on demand (just like current mid-flight snacks), second, they shouldn't be removing mid-flight snacks, this should be in addition, and in fact on these longer flights, there should be 2x-3x the amount of choice in mid-flight snacks. The "we need galley space" seems like a huge cop out. There's gotta be tons of available galley space.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I like the cheese plate . . . as a mid-flight snack. The sundae doesn't work so well on the snack table so that's my dessert.

Though they really need more than two crackers . . .
Old Oct 27, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Finally the main will be served separately…on one route.

I guess it’s a start.
trust77 and Jaytraveller like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
The tapas will replace the grilled cheese sandwich and soup that are currently served on flights over 10 hours as a mid-flight snack.
I would rather have grilled cheese and soup.

More work for UA FAs...this won't end well unless UA pays them more, a lot more.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
So, does this mean that pax have to choose between a mid-flight hot “meal,” or sacrificing deep REM sleep?

And, for those of us who try to watch our sugar intake, the removal of the cheese plate as a dessert option is a huge . This feels like a substantial downgrade vs. an improvement. I would say “slight downgrade” if UA would confirm that the tapas could be served on demand any time after the midpoint of the flight.
Xyzzy and narvik like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Most likely it will just be "available", meaning you will have to go hunt it down or flag a passing FA.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 4:59 pm

This sounds like a major downgrade.

losing the cheese plate is super lame. The cheese plate needed to be beefed up with more crackers.

losing the anytime of current mid flight snacks for something I need to order in advance before mid flight is really a cop out.

id prefer more on demand options and a grab and go tray that is actually properly stocked and not 1 of everything.

with these continued “improvements you will like” is only solidifying my decision to take different airlines the just UA. The value just isn’t there
roberto99, rch4u, drgreg and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i guess a bag of chips, a candybar and a stale banana are now called tapas
rch4u, goodeats21, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:42 pm

My experience with cheese plates on almost any airline is that there is far more cheese than crackers or breads to eat them with -- I end up eating much of the cheese by itself, not on bread or crackers.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is SFO-SIN the longest in UA’s network?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by mediator
Is SFO-SIN the longest in UA’s network?
No, IAH-SYD is the longest route.
SPN Lifer, Repooc17 and cczzll like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
The cheeses on the cheese plate are mediocre but they are pleasant mid flight when one need a bit of salt and crunch (even though I never understood why they have to serve cracker produced in Pakistan).
I’ll really miss the cheese if it goes away.
mogi67 and Jaytraveller like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Does this mean we can’t have it whenever we want? I have to be awake mid-flight??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.