Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Expanded Summer 2024 TATL schedule, total of 38 cities, earlier seasonal starts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2023, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Palal
Summer 2024 Starts Early at United with Airline's Largest Transatlantic Schedule in its History
October 26, 2023Routes

United to fly non-stop to 38 transatlantic cities, including the first and only direct flight between U.S. and Faro, Portugal and new flights to Reykjavik, Brussels, Rome and Malaga – plus service to popular destinations like Lisbon, Barcelona, Rome, Nice, Milan and Napl es start up to two months earlier

More options to more places give customers plenty of choices - and time - to visit Europe next year

CHICAGO, Oct. 26, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- United builds on its leading transatlantic network with the debut of its largest-ever summer 2024 schedule – which includes the first and only non-stop flight between New York/Newark-Faro, Portugal* and new flights to Reykjavik*, Brussels, Rome and Malaga. The airline also brings back nine of its most popular seasonal routes to Portugal, Italy, France and Spain up to two months early to give customers more time and options to explore Europe.

United flies to more transatlantic destinations than all other U.S. airlines and continues to be the only airline to directly connect the U.S. with Dubrovnik, Malaga, Mallorca and Tenerife.

"United has the most flights to the most destinations across the Atlantic and we're now giving our customers even more flexibility and choice when planning their trips abroad," said Patrick Quayle, United's senior vice president of global network planning and alliances. "Whether customers are looking to travel during peak season or shoulder season, visit the most popular tourism destinations or discover a hidden gem, the scope and scale of our network makes United the easy choice for transatlantic travel."

Tickets for United's new summer 2024 flights are on sale now at United.com and include:

New Service to Faro, Portugal

Beginning May 24, United will be the first and only airline to directly connect the United States and Faro, Portugal, with its new service from New York/Newark. The new flight will make it easy for U.S. customers to visit Portugal's Algarve region, home to some of the country's most scenic beaches and striking historic sites. The flight will operate four times a week on a Boeing 757-200. United currently serves more destinations in Portugal than all U.S. carriers with its existing year-round service between New York/Newark-Lisbon, as well as seasonal service between Washington/Dulles-Lisbon, New York/Newark-Porto and New York/Newark-Ponta Delgada, Azores.

New Flights to Reykjavik, Rome, Brussels and Malaga

On May 23, United will resume seasonal flying between Reykjavik and New York/Newark for the first time since summer 2022. The flight will operate daily on a Boeing 757-200. Additionally, United will add flights to some of the most popular destinations in Europe, including a second daily frequency between New York/Newark-Brussels, starting March 30 on a Boeing 757-200, and a second daily frequency between Washington/Dulles-Rome, starting May 23 on a Boeing 767-300. Moreover, United will increase New York/Newark-Malaga to daily service on a Boeing 757-200 and will start on May 2.

Earlier Starts to Seasonal Service

While transatlantic summer travel demand remains at an all-time high, United has increasingly seen customers seek out spring shoulder season getaways. Last spring**, United flew 33% more customers across the Atlantic than in 2022, and the airline anticipates the demand will only continue to grow in spring 2024. To give customers more time and options to visit Europe, the airline is resuming several of its most popular routes early, including:
  • Washington Dulles – Lisbon, Portugal – starting February 15
  • Washington Dulles – Barcelona, Spain – starting February 15
  • Washington Dulles – Rome, Italy – starting February 15
  • New York/Newark – Nice, France – starting March 30
  • Chicago/O'Hare – Rome, Italy – starting March 30
  • Chicago O'Hare – Milan, Italy – starting March 30
  • New York/Newark – Naples, Italy – starting April 5
  • New York/Newark – Malaga – starting May 2
  • San Francisco – Rome, Italy – starting May 2
Continued Growth in Asia-Pacific and Latin America

Next summer, United's network across the Pacific will grow more than 30% with non-stop service to 15 destinations – including the airline's newest routes between San Francisco-Manila and San Francisco-Beijing. The airline will also grow its Latin American schedule by 10% next summer, extending some of its newest and most popular routes into the summer season. Highlights include new service between Denver-San Juan; Denver-Montego Bay; New York/Newark-Barbados and New York/Newark-Curaçao.

*Flight subject to government approval
** Spring defined as March 1-May 31
Print Wikipost

UA Expanded Summer 2024 TATL schedule, total of 38 cities, earlier seasonal starts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

Announcement is out from UA on summer 2024 TATL schedule. The only new route announced is Newark to Faro, Portugal; EWR-KEF is resuming after taking 2023 off. Other highlights:

-EWR-BRU going 2x daily starting 3/30
-IAD-FCO going 2x daily starting 5/23
-EWR-AGP going daily starting 5/2 (was only 3x weekly in 2023)

A number of routes are also starting earlier next year:
-IAD-LIS/BCN/FCO starting 2/15
-EWR-NCE starting 3/30
-ORD-FCO/MXP starting 3/30
-EWR-NAP starting 4/5
-SFO-FCO starting 5/2

Personally I am excited they are starting summer routes earlier. Europe is a zoo in peak summer, and getting there earlier is great.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, N830MH and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:49 am

Newark to Faro... 😱

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
This explains why the EWR-HNL route is going away for the summer again I guess.

Last edited by fly2nrt; Oct 26, 2023 at 7:55 am
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Surprised that UA does not add some flights to Scandinavian destinations due to the departure of SAS from *A.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Surprised that UA does not add some flights to Scandinavian destinations due to the departure of SAS from *A.
Adding flights is one thing. Commencing service to a new destination is quite another.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I literally have a house in Faro. For fifteen years I’ve done the waltz connecting Tap through LIS. This EWR-FAO is a dream come true, I can’t quite believe it.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
That's 5 destinations to Spain (MAD, BCN, PMI, AGP, TFS) and 4 destinations to Portugal (LIS, OPO, PDL, FAO). After Mexico and Canada, are these the countries with the most cities served by UA?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hirohito888
That's 5 destinations to Spain (MAD, BCN, PMI, AGP, TFS) and 4 destinations to Portugal (LIS, OPO, PDL, FAO). After Mexico and Canada, are these the countries with the most cities served by UA?
Italy has 4 destinations as well (MXP, FCO, NAP, VCE).

I do agree that it would be nice to see service to OSL and/or (especially) CPH, but maybe they want to see how the situation shakes out once SK has formally left Star Alliance before committing to launching service. I would have to think EWR-CPH would be a very popular seasonal route.
VRFast likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Right, forgot about Italy, UA used to fly to PMO too.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:50 am

Isn't Japan another with five airports served?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

Japan: FUK, HND, KIX, NGO, NRT (down from 12 over the past decade due to GUM cuts)
Dominican Republic: POP, PUJ, SDQ, STI
Federated States of Micronesia: KSA, PNI, TKK, YAP

Last edited by ctownflyer; Oct 26, 2023 at 8:58 am
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm still shocked no ORD-ATH flight. I thought this would be the year..
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Announcement is out from UA on summer 2024 TATL schedule. The only new route announced is Newark to Faro, Portugal; EWR-KEF is resuming after taking 2023 off. Other highlights:

-EWR-BRU going 2x daily starting 3/30
-IAD-FCO going 2x daily starting 5/23
-EWR-AGP going daily starting 5/2 (was only 3x weekly in 2023)

-IAD-LIS/BCN/FCO starting 2/15
-EWR-NCE starting 3/30
-ORD-FCO/MXP starting 3/30
-EWR-NAP starting 4/5
-SFO-FCO starting 5/2

Personally I am excited they are starting summer routes earlier. Europe is a zoo in peak summer, and getting there earlier is great.

IAD-FCO have been on schedule and will continue during the holiday and winter season.
IAD-LIS is operating now but will be off schedule shortly. (this weekend)
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I'm still shocked no ORD-ATH flight. I thought this would be the year..
Is Athens a big enough destination to support multiple airlines? It's essentially all leisure traffic, too.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is Athens a big enough destination to support multiple airlines? It's essentially all leisure traffic, too.
I think you have a very large Greek population in the ORD catchment. I imagine once UA starts getting more 787s, they may be able to add it. Feels like UA is at the limit of what it can do in the summer…I wonder if they are somewhat hamstrung by the off chance that mainland China frequencies may go up and they have to plan for that contingency.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Hope the business cabin won't remained zero-ed out for press on the inaugural EWR-FAO though! Come on UA, I want to book it right away

For those wondering what the island is in the IG promo video (under the text "and GREAT SCOTT!"), it's Armona Island off the coast of Faro (but please don't come rushing to my island all at once ).

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...garve-portugal
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.