Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RN 4 should I pull pp wait-list and reapply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental

Currently #1 on Polaris and Premium Economy wait-list for UA 969 AMS-SFO on 27 Oct.
They upgraded 5 people overnight out of prem econ to Polaris. Currently it's PZ0 and RN4.
Called the 1k desk and they wouldn't clear us into premium economy although it's RN 4.
I explained that the upgrade is available right now and if someone made a new upgrade request now, they would get upgraded immediately. She insisted it would still be waiisted, and the gate agent at AMS needs to do it. Yesterday the same flight was PN5 PZ6 for 24 hours and the gate agent cleared upgrades at T-30.
Should I pull the PP and apply. A new upgrade request?
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:32 pm

You will clear into Polaris since there are 8 empty seats, so I wouldn't bother with trying to get into Premium Economy.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockey7711
....Should I pull the PP and apply. A new upgrade request?
Yes, you have nothing to lose. And a single irrop can change everything, Get the PremPlus nailed down.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 25, 2023 at 11:32 pm Reason: misread
Old Oct 25, 2023, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

I did a HUCA. Got the agent to talk to the supervisor. They upgraded my wife into Polaris (she was #2) and put me in premium econ. I'm still #1 on Polaris wait-list.
She also said that mine should clear shortly, we will see...

Yesterday the GA cleared upgrades at T-30 minutes prior to departure on that same flight
Although PN and PZ were available.
Wx4caster and uanj like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 25, 2023 at 11:31 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:50 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum

Yesterday the GA cleared upgrades at T-30 minutes prior to departure on that same flight
Computer did it, not gate agent, at T-30.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Either way they didn't clear anybody until 30 mins before even with PZ open.

By the way, I cleared into Polaris a couple of hours after getting them to clear the RN.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 26, 2023 at 2:05 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I did a HUCA. Got the agent to talk to the supervisor. They upgraded my wife into Polaris (she was #2) and put me in premium econ. I'm still #1 on Polaris wait-list.
She also said that mine should clear shortly, we will see...

Had a similar experience with 1K desk this week. I was already upgraded into RN space and PN/PZ space was opened up. Agent was happy to tell me I was top of the list but they needed to maintain “integrity of the upgrade list” so couldn’t push it through.

when I pointed out someone could make a reservation now and take that spot without waitlist, he went through to supervisor and they cleared all the upgrade list including me. Took about 20 mins and required them to manually remove PP and reapply as I went back to economy for a short time while they worked through it.
Kmxu, drewguy, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by mattg85

when I pointed out someone could make a reservation now and take that spot without waitlist, he went through to supervisor and they cleared all the upgrade list including me. Took about 20 mins and required them to manually remove PP and reapply as I went back to economy for a short time while they worked through it.
I gave up the last time that happened, they wouldn’t budge even after HUCA, but as a non 1K I suspect the best bet is just to monitor PZ anyway and apply then.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
The system is really broken. I've taken advantage of jumping the queue by re-applying in the past, but I've also been burned by not being able to / not forcing and others jumped since they reapplied or applied and cleared right away.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by mattg85
Had a similar experience with 1K desk this week. I was already upgraded into RN space and PN/PZ space was opened up. Agent was happy to tell me I was top of the list but they needed to maintain “integrity of the upgrade list” so couldn’t push it through.

And the people on the waitlist thank you.
Didn't work for me initially when I called, back a couple of years ago, however, the next morning I got an email with the confirmed upgrade for the both of us.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, you have nothing to lose. And a single irrop can change everything, Get the PremPlus nailed down.
I guess it’s moot now that OPs Polaris upgrade eventually cleared, but downside with confirming into RN it that it removes the ability to cancel/re-apply instrument if PZ opens up, leaving one at the mercy of UA upgrade processors or phone agents going forward.

Agree the irrop scenario is something to consider though.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:58 pm

Here I am, just blindly applying my PP to reservations.

I had no idea this was a thing.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy LTP
My first response was going to HUCA. That's the right answer here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.