Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbag Seat Belts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Airbag Seat Belts

Does United offer seat belt extenders for seat belts that have airbags in them? I believe their business class seats have seat belts with airbags. I read an article saying Thai airlines doesn't allow it but I don't know if that's the norm.

Thank you
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by RyRell
Does United offer seat belt extenders for seat belts that have airbags in them? I believe their business class seats have seat belts with airbags. I read an article saying Thai airlines doesn't allow it but I don't know if that's the norm.

Thank you
UA does not have any seatbelts that have airbags in them -- however they may be some planes that have airbags in the bulkhead seats -- but I've never seen it....
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
UA does not have any seatbelts that have airbags in them -- however they may be some planes that have airbags in the bulkhead seats -- but I've never seen it....

Thank you for your reply sir.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:43 pm

Thank you for your reply sir.
They are taking delivery of some new planes like the A321 in Q4 2023 -- not sure about those but IIRC it's the bulkhead seats that might require them if too close to the bulkhead....
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In my experience, the airbags tend to appear mostly in Business Class with angled seats.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In my experience, the airbags tend to appear mostly in Business Class with angled seats.
That is what I am going to be on. Do you offer seat belt extenders?
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:09 pm

That is what I am going to be on. Do you offer seat belt extenders?
They do have extenders -- but there are no angled business class seats in the UA fleet that have airbags -- the new planes being delivered do not have angled seats....
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
There are definitively UA aircraft with airbags, and there are in some bulkhead seats. At least two experiences this year -- struggling to remember but believed they were 739s. (IAH-PTY?)
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are definitively UA aircraft with airbags, and there are in some bulkhead seats. At least two experiences this year -- struggling to remember but believed they were 739s. (IAH-PTY?)
Yes -- and the 764's pre-Polaris -- AFAIK there are no other planes with airbags in the UA fleet...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
The long haul Polaris seats have a “3 point” seatbelt. There’s a shoulder strap that clicks onto the buckle for take off and landing. The seatbelt itself is generous. I would think a seatbelt extender would work with them but don’t have any hands on experience.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
The long haul Polaris seats have a “3 point” seatbelt. There’s a shoulder strap that clicks onto the buckle for take off and landing. The seatbelt itself is generous. I would think a seatbelt extender would work with them but don’t have any hands on experience.
Unless the extend allowed for the 3th belt, it would not work
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Unless the extend allowed for the 3th belt, it would not work
it does. i saw a gentleman use on on a Polaris flight recently. T
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
it does. i saw a gentleman use on on a Polaris flight recently. T
Thank you all for your help. It's very much appreciated
Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Haven't noticed them on the 737-7/8/900 but row 1 in the 737MAX8/737MAX9 have them ... Unless those belts are bizarrely chunky for another reason.

Unfortunately I can't answer OP's question but they're on such a small sunset of seats I doubt it would pose a problem
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Haven't noticed them on the 737-7/8/900 but row 1 in the 737MAX8/737MAX9 have them ... Unless those belts are bizarrely chunky for another reason.

Unfortunately I can't answer OP's question but they're on such a small sunset of seats I doubt it would pose a problem
I was on a 739 MAX 9 (N47505) on Wednesday from DEN-YYC thay had airbag seatbelts in the bulkhead seats of row 7. I was sitting in 7F. I believe I have also had them on other domestic first/polaris routes before, but can't recall the specifics at this time.

But I am also unsure of the OP's question about seatbelt extenders allowed or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.