Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MileagePlus: "We have no material changes planned for 2025 program year."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

United announced earnings this morning. They included a statement regarding MileagePlus: "We have no material changes planned for 2025 program year."

United went on to explain that they’ve “carefully managed our premium population in recent years… we very much believe in never causing a situation where everyone has premier status” so that no one gets benefits
'No material changes' doesn't necessarily mean 'no changes' I guess, but seems like generally good news.

https://viewfromthewing.com/united-p...ram-next-year/
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ty97
United announced earnings this morning. They included a statement regarding MileagePlus: "We have no material changes planned for 2025 program year."
IMHO, the comment is designed to get the Delta Debacle back in the news cycle.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
IMHO, the comment is designed to get the Delta Debacle back in the news cycle.
They definitely reference Delta (not by name) but they were also almost bound to get a question on this topic, so it was smart to just address it up front.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
They definitely reference Delta (not by name) but they were also almost bound to get a question on this topic, so it was smart to just address it up front.
Well, I’m happy with the news, as I’m accelerating my efforts to reach another MM milestone.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Define “material.”
lsquare, narvik, CREN and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Depends on what UA considers 'material'. A slight increase in PQP required? Definitely no starter bonus? No more PQS/PQP combo?

Let's see, can only be a few weeks till UA tells us about the new program.

And yeah, when I read things like that ... I am not sure I believe anything : We’ve carefully managed our premier population in recent years to maintain a robust and valuable set of benefits for each premier member. We very much believe in never causing a situation where everyone has a premier status which obviously results in no one receiving an adequate level of premier benefits. Our United strategy to offer premier members access to more premium seats than each of our competitors is enhancing the value of our frequent flyer loyalty program
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
For sure they learned a lesson from the DL debacle. If Kirby had a better marketing team they would already be leveraging it like AS and B6. No doubt they were first looking to see if they could copy it LOL.

Nothing is a constant in the world of FF programs, but it is nice to know we have another year with no takedown of elite perks, and hopefully no more devals after the last brutal round of TATL/TPAC/*A price hikes.
Markie, lsquare, CREN and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
Depends on what UA considers 'material'. A slight increase in PQP required? Definitely no starter bonus? No more PQS/PQP combo?

Let's see, can only be a few weeks till UA tells us about the new program.

And yeah, when I read things like that ... I am not sure I believe anything : We’ve carefully managed our premier population in recent years to maintain a robust and valuable set of benefits for each premier member. We very much believe in never causing a situation where everyone has a premier status which obviously results in no one receiving an adequate level of premier benefits. Our United strategy to offer premier members access to more premium seats than each of our competitors is enhancing the value of our frequent flyer loyalty program
Personally, I consider "no more PQS/PQP combo" to be material--it would be a significant change to the way qualification currently works. Minor tweaks to the PQPs required or not going with the starter bonus I don't see as material, despite the fact the latter would be large-ish impact. YMMV of course.

Don't we say every single year, "It's November already; how has UA not yet told us the details for next year?!" Feels like Charlie Brown and the football to think we're only a "few weeks" out from official details.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by exerda
Personally, I consider "no more PQS/PQP combo" to be material--it would be a significant change to the way qualification currently works. Minor tweaks to the PQPs required or not going with the starter bonus I don't see as material, despite the fact the latter would be large-ish impact. YMMV of course.

Don't we say every single year, "It's November already; how has UA not yet told us the details for next year?!" Feels like Charlie Brown and the football to think we're only a "few weeks" out from official details.
I'd say PQF/PQP or tweaks to PQPs are both material (partly because I can't envision a tweak of, say, 500 mile PQP increase). And a PQF change means a big PQP increase for many flyers.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Starter PQP removal + modest PQP qualifying increase across the board would be my guess.
limey1K likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Now that DL has gone to $28k for Diamond. UA will try and stay below ... $25k?
lsquare and 8MiHi like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:46 pm

'No material changes' doesn't necessarily mean 'no changes' I guess, but seems like generally good news.
Good or bad is in the eye of the beholder. I am quite certain there are people who would applaud raising PQP thresholds.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Material to me would be moving to a credit card spend dominant system like AA. Raising thresholds in the current system would not be material in my opinion
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I fully expect United to roll out lowest mileage awards book into Basic Economy. For sure that's coming and my guess is they just haven't written the code for the website yet. That will be another massive deval of points. But, I guess the main thread topic is supposed to mean no major changes coming to "earning/benefiting from elite status".

-RM
ContinentalFan and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Well it didn't say no changes so we shall see what they bring. I'm on a $320 transcon 1MM run this weekend. Got to get it done.
SPN Lifer, UA_Flyer, uanj and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.